Bikes in Japan - observations

roly

I'm in Japan (Tokyo) for 3 weeks on business (but normally live in Thailand) and I'm really surprised about a few things bike-wise, compared with Thailand:

1. Hardly any small scooters visible on the streets

2. The bikes you do see are all 'big' scooters, I.e. Forza style but from weird brands like Sym maybe. And boy are they ugly

3. In 3 weeks I've seen just a handful of sports bikes such as CBR's. Seems that they are quite rare in Japan. A few old naked bikes can be spotted

4. I've not spotted a single Yamaha or Suzuki big bike or scooter

The other thing is that of course everyone seems to drive incredibly well. Nobody driving the wrong way. No soi dogs causing accidents. Cars stop for pedestrians, etc. it's quite a shock compared to what I'm used to these days 555

Good news is that you can rent a big bike here on a Thai license. Bad news is it costs around 3,000-7000 baht per day, so not really that feasible for a few weeks' holiday plus flights and hotels etc. Cheaper doing it in Thailand by far

Can't wait to get back to the chaotic Thai roads next week! :-)

I rode the Tokyo streets for eight years- they're a lot different from LOS.

The reason you see so few bikes bigger than 400cc has to do with the two-tiered licensing system- it's extremely difficult to pass the test for a big bike.

Try to check out the motorcycle section near Ueno Station- there are some amazing bikes there.

I rode the Tokyo streets for eight years- they're a lot different from LOS.

The reason you see so few bikes bigger than 400cc has to do with the two-tiered licensing system- it's extremely difficult to pass the test for a big bike.

Try to check out the motorcycle section near Ueno Station- there are some amazing bikes there.

That's weird, given that so many big bikes are made in Japan you'd think they'd encourage the domestic market to buy them rather than making it so difficult...

Maybe they'd prefer they bought Japanese cars instead?

To pass the second tier, you had to take (expensive) mandatory classes, and then a really tough skills test with a lot of low-speed maneuvering with little room for error.

If you fail, too bad- take (and pay for) the class again before you can retest.

There's also a road tax system ('shaken') that affects bike 400cc and up, which also encourages the use of smaller bikes- the streets have loads of 250cc sportbikes that you don't see too many of in other countries.

To pass the second tier, you had to take (expensive) mandatory classes, and then a really tough skills test with a lot of low-speed maneuvering with little room for error.

There's also a road tax system ('shaken') that affects bike 400cc and up, which also encourages the use of smaller bikes- the streets have loads of 250cc sportbikes that you don't see too many of in other countries.

I gather you've seen the motorcycle gymkhana's in Japan. Those guys take traction & handling skills to a whole new level

http://youtu.be/2H-MKBK1Smw

Edited by Garry

I ask this to a fr8end in japan riding bigger bikes than 400 cc and he said test is not so hard for an above average rider and no need to exaggerate it like many do. I m not sure though never take that test of course.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I ask this to a fr8end in japan riding bigger bikes than 400 cc and he said test is not so hard for an above average rider and no need to exaggerate it like many do. I m not sure though never take that test of course.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Would love to know more about the Japanase test. Maybe a legend but I did read when still a teen that one had to straight up the bike from laid down.

I gather you've seen the motorcycle gymkhana's in Japan. Those guys take traction & handling skills to a whole new level

0:45 sad.png

• Like 1

RSD hasn't said anything yet, so I gather he hasn't watched the video :)

RSD hasn't said anything yet, so I gather he hasn't watched the video :)

Pushing such a big bike hard on a tight course like that is asking for trouble- the guy was doing OK for a while, but it looks like he dragged his center-stand and it took him down. Ah well- at least he's unscathed and has a cool vid to show for it.;)

This is a guy practicing on the unlimited license course (note he would have failed with this run)- you really need a feel for how your bike rides at low speed to do well:

• Like 1

RSD hasn't said anything yet, so I gather he hasn't watched the video smile.png

Pushing such a big bike hard on a tight course like that is asking for trouble- the guy was doing OK for a while, but it looks like he dragged his center-stand and it took him down. Ah well- at least he's unscathed and has a cool vid to show for it.wink.png

This is a guy practicing on the unlimited license course (note he would have failed with this run)- you really need a feel for how your bike rides at low speed to do well:

When I first starting watching the vid, I thought it was pretty cool to see that big ol girl being thrown around like that. I was surprised by the crash, but was half expecting it..bummer though

I couldn't do as well as that guy did (before he crashed)- he was really tearing it up- it's hard to modulate the throttle of that bike as so much power is on tap, and it weighs well over 550lbs.- I would bet he never leaned it over that much before.

That would be a pricey fix...;)

• Like 1

when i go back to hawaii, i always feel weird when im crossing the street walking and the entire road will stop until i make it all the way across.

its like i have power .

I lived 11 years in Maui Hi. Pedestrians always hold more power than motor vehicles . If you don't yield to pedestrians The consequences are pretty steep! Not like Los Angelos...... Which most people hate in Hi. Just like that song by missing persons in the 80's Nobody walks in LA!

Kinda nice people have the Aloha spirit!!!!!!!!!!

when i go back to hawaii, i always feel weird when im crossing the street walking and the entire road will stop until i make it all the way across.

its like i have power .

I lived 11 years in Maui Hi. Pedestrians always hold more power than motor vehicles . If you don't yield to pedestrians The consequences are pretty steep! Not like Los Angelos...... Which most people hate in Hi. Just like that song by missing persons in the 80's Nobody walks in LA!

its like i have power .

When i took the written driving test, there was one question on the test and i am not kidding:

1) if a pedestrian is crossing the road you should -

a ) speed up and teach them a lesson

b ) xxxxx

c ) xxxxx

d ) xxxxx

love da hawaiian spirit brudda !... laugh.png

Edited by KRS1