Phuket officials arrest bar owner behind Rihanna fiasco

webfact

Phuket officials arrest bar owner behind Rihanna fiasco
Phuket Gazette

pkt.jpg
Soi Bangla, in the heart of Phuket’s top party town, Patong, was full as usual. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Local Phuket officials on Saturday night arrested the Patong bar owner who staged the lewd show at the epicenter of comments posted online by global celebrity Rihanna.

The international pop star stirred an online furore last month after she posted photos on Instagram of slow loris touts on Bangla, and posted a Twitter message about a “shocking” adult show she had witnessed.

Rihanna’s comments and photos went viral, with many netizens holding local officials accountable for illegal antics continuing in Phuket’s premier tourist town.

“Warunyoo Jornmuang, owner of the Season bar on Soi Bangla, was arrested for operating an entertainment venue without a permit and for providing a lewd show. The case was handed over to the Patong Police for further action,” Kathu District Chief Veera Kerdsirimongkol told the Phuket Gazette.

Mr Warunyoo’s arrest came during an unannounced tour of the tourist walking street led by Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut.

“We wanted to make sure we would see things as they really are and what illegal activities were going on,” Governor Maitri said, explaining the lack of forewarning.

“I also had plainclothes police patrolling the area and assigned officers to maintain CCTV surveillance along the road to make sure that police can help tourists in their time of need,” he said.

In addition to Mr Veera, joining the governor for his Bangla walk were Phuket Provincial Commander Ong-art Phiwruangnon and Patong Superintendent Chiraphat Pochanaphan.

“We did not find any illegal animal touts on Soi Bangla,” Mr Veera noted.

During the inspection tour, the officials stopped to speak with tourists to let them know that their safety and well-being were a top priority.

“A lot of tourists asked to have their photo taken with the governor. It was good to see so many smiles from tourists,” Chief Veera said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-officials-arrest-bar-owner-behind-Rihanna-fiasco-22498.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-10-14

How many other shows did they 'not 'see' as they filed in to arrest Khun Warunyoo, the scapegoat (in a street where one can't walk three metres without a tout shoving something in their face)? Maybe the BIPC - boys in plain clothes - still stood out like dog's thingo's. Or maybe it wasn't such a 'surprise' raid at all.

They should hire me to go with them. I'm better equipped to deal with the "shock" and not as likely to be "awed" by it all and could offer "input" as to which venues are offering "quality" entertainment and those that should be avoided ! w00t.gif

Plus I work (fairly) cheaply ! Win-win all around ! wai2.gif

• Like 1

Thai sex show owner arrested after Rihanna visit

BANGKOK, October 14, 2013 (AFP) - Thai authorities said Monday they had arrested the owner of a sex show visited by pop icon Rihanna -- the latest crackdown inadvertently triggered by the singer's tweets.

The bar owner on the island of Phuket has been charged in connection with the lewd performance, local district chief Veera Kerdsirimongkol told AFP.

"It was the result of the visit by Rihanna. The authorities will be more strict towards inappropriate shows or wildlife attractions," he said.
Thai tourist officials were left red-faced after Rihanna's tweets underscored the kingdom's seedier side.

"Either I was phuck wasted lastnight, or I saw a Thai woman pull a live bird,2 turtles,razors,shoot darts and ping pong, all out of her pu$$y," she wrote in a message on September 20 to her more than 32 million followers on Twitter.

Last month two men were arrested for possessing a protected slow loris after Rihanna posted a picture of herself with the primate on a night out in Phuket during her "Diamonds" world tour.

Use of the slow loris and other protected species for tourist snaps -- while common in Thai tourist resorts -- is officially illegal.

According to wildlife protection campaigners, mother lorises are often killed while the young are stolen. The primates' teeth are also removed due to their toxic bite.

Foreign diplomats have urged Thailand to crack down on scams and crimes against tourists in Phuket.

Local tourist police volunteers warn against venturing into strip clubs offering "ping-pong shows" due to the risk of overpriced drinks and threats of violence against people who refuse to pay.

afplogo.jpg
-- (c) Copyright AFP 2013-10-14

Rihanna’s Phuket ping-pong bar boss arrested

Ramon Bencharitiwong

PHUKET: Governor Maitri Intusut announced last night (October 13) that the owner of the bar where pop star Rihanna watched – and tweeted about – a ping pong show has been arrested.

The Governor, on an inspection walkabout in Patong, said, “[Provincial Police Chief] Pol Maj Gen Ong-Art Phiewruangnont arrested Warunyu Jornmuang after the discovery of a lewd show inside the bar.”

Rihanna, after her visit to the bar in late September, tweeted, “Either I was **** wasted last night or I saw a Thai woman pull a live bird, 2 turtles, razors, shoot darts and ping pong, all out of her *****.”

She described herself, possibly tongue-in-cheek, as “traumatised”.

But the Governor’s walkabout was not about cracking down on ping-pong shows, it was more of a display of reassurance for tourists that their security is a priority.

Walking with police and local officials, he drew fascinated looks from tourists, some of whom greeted him and asked to pose for pictures with him.

“We didn’t even know who he is, but after talking with him, he seems like a nice guy,” said a Lebanese visitor. “It’s great for the Governor to come here accompanied by police to greet and chat with people.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/rihanna%E2%80%99s-phuket-ping-pong-bar-boss-arrested-42335.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-10-14

Was this "news" released by the TAT or the police? Huge free advertising that money couldn't buy and will draw even more tourists to Phuket. This should generate lots of extra tea money for those that look the other way.

• Like 1

Was this "news" released by the TAT or the police? Huge free advertising that money couldn't buy and will draw even more tourists to Phuket. This should generate lots of extra tea money for those that look the other way.

No such thing as bad publicity and as I see the governor is keeping the 'balls 'rolling.....free 6* accommodation for Rhianna and entourage next visit

Regarding the governor"s statement "... to make sure that police can help tourists in their time of need:” No worries, mate, the young ladies of Patong are already doing a great job of that.

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1

"Surprise undercover visit". I really wonder how a large group of suits accompanied by the usual entourage of BIB, (in this case Brown Nosers in Brown) be considered as undercover. They might as well had the massed bands of HM Royal Marines marching in front of them !!