Questions about Suvannakhet - Ubon Rachathani

Hey guys,

I will be going to Savannakhet in December for my non O and will be flying return to Ubon Ratchathani.

I hope to collect my visa sometime after 2 o'clock in Laos. The flight leaves from Ubon at 19.05, and I was wondering if there was enough time to get to the border and bus it to Ubon to be in time for my 19.05 flight the same day?

Also, what are the border opening and closing times in the area?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

It would be a little close to be able do it. Figuring 3 o'clock departure from Mukdahan and 3 hour trip to Ubon would only be an hour extra. It would probably be best to plan an overnight in Ubon.

Most border crossing are 7am to 9pm.

Edited by ubonjoe

My friend renewed his retirement visa at savanaket 6 months ago and went to the consulate at about 10AM for pick up. He explained that his Thai wife was ill and that they wanted to depart Laos as fast as possible. They believed him and gave him his PP early. So it can be done if you are a smooth talker. Good Luck.

There is a VIP van that runs from Ubon airport to Mukdahan
and a VIP that runs the other way too
call the Ploy Palace Hotel in Mukdahan 042 631 111
I think the van goes each direction once or twice a day

VIP van leaves Ploy Palace hotel around 4pm or 4.30

Takes you right to ubon airport

cost is 350 ...

Will arrive in time for your flight

Presumably just one more example of the stupidity of the visa system, in a country that thrives on tourism, yet makes visa complications with impunity!

I assume this particular visa run qualifies for a 30 day visa rather than the 14 day road or sea run?

He is making a trip to a Thai consulate not just a border hop.

He states he is getting a non-o visa which gives a 90 day entry. I am guessing that he is getting a multiple entry visa that will allow him do those entries for a year.

If it was a tourist visa then that would give a 60 day entry.

Presumably just one more example of the stupidity of the visa system, in a country that thrives on tourism, yet makes visa complications with impunity!

I assume this particular visa run qualifies for a 30 day visa rather than the 14 day road or sea run?

Posters are discussing a return from Savannakhet where an application for a NON "O" visa is/was made.

There are no 30 or 14 day "visas" and internal fights do not give access to visa exempt entries !smile.png

Surely the quietest consulate in Thailand we went there last month and there was no queue on application and no one there at 2 pm to collect. Also nice staff but not so on the ball when it comes to difficult questions. I guess the dont get enough people.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It is still a visa 7 days 14 days or 30 days. A visa on arrival. Still a visa.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There are no 7 day entries. A 14 or 30 day visa exempt entry is not a visa or a visa on arrival. Visas on arrival are only for those from certain countries and costs 1000 bhat for a 15 day entry.

It's a pointless argument over nomenclature but for what it's worth ubonjoe is correct: many countries, including Thailand, waive the visa requirement for certain nationalities, and thus some people are able to enter those countries without a visa. The fact that there is a sign that says "visa on arrival" at the airport is neither here nor there.

The visas on arrival sign directs you to the counter where those that qualify can apply for one and pay1000 baht for a 15 day entry.

See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15393-Visa-on-Arrival.html

Tourist visa exemption aka visa exempt entry.

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15396-Tourist-Visa-Exemption.html

Edited by ubonjoe

ah, now clarified...thx

The visas on arrival sign directs you to the counter where those that qualify can apply for one and pay1000 baht for a 15 day entry. See: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15393-Visa-on-Arrival.html Tourist visa exemption aka visa exempt entry. http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/123/15396-Tourist-Visa-Exemption.html