peanut butter (creamy) with no additives

triffid

i'd been buying this at Rimping but the stuff, which previously was fine, is now utterly dry. Thought it was a one-off but the second bottle is the same. It's as if the layer of separated peanut oil which used to form a top layer has been skimmed off.

Anyway, can someone tell me where else I can find this - to be clear I do not want added sugar - or salt, though at a pinch I'd accept that.

PS

I ttried to revive a previous thread on much the same topic but my unpractised eye couldn't find the tab for doing this.

You can DIY very easily if you are up for it. I bought some un-toasted peanuts (from Yok I think), put them into the oven, then into a food processor. Several minutes later, I got my peanut butter. The longer you leave it churning, the more oil comes out.

Don't need to add anything to the mix.

post-66936-0-39297000-1381816081_thumb.j

• Like 2

You can DIY very easily if you are up for it. I bought some un-toasted peanuts (from Yok I think), put them into the oven, then into a food processor. Several minutes later, I got my peanut butter. The longer you leave it churning, the more oil comes out.

Not against this idea but I don't have a food processor. So, unless a dirt-cheap one will be adequate for the purpose my consumption amounts don't justify buying a processor just for this.

^ how long's it last? (if left uneaten).

I keep everything in a jar and in the fridge. Can't say for sure how long, but I think you'll finish it before it expires ;-) This current batch is already about a month old and still taste good.

Not against this idea but I don't have a food processor. So, unless a dirt-cheap one will be adequate for the purpose my consumption amounts don't justify buying a processor just for this.

The blender works too if you have the small attachment. I used that before.

You could do almonds + peanuts, or just almonds for almond butter. Whole almonds were not too expensive in the States, not sure if the cheaper almond flakes work equally well.

• Like 1

There are usually 3 or 4 different brands at Rimping, but I think that they all have salt. Peanut butter is pretty boring without it.

I can accept salt, but they all (other than the one I referred to) also add sugar.

Keep looking when you get a chance. The brands that I am talking about do not add any sugar, but, this being Thailand, they are not always on the shelf.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Cheers. Be interested to hear of other recepies.

I have seen Sunflower butter but have not tried. It's made using a similar process but with Sunflower seeds. Going to try that with sunflower seeds from Yok.

My wife loves the Cookie Butter from Trader Joe's (Speculoos) in the States (made in the Netherlands). Once our supply runs out, we will have a go at making it. This one is more advanced, it consists of blending several ingredients. There's candy sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon inside.

I love Apple butter, but making it is more involved. Not sure if we can find it in Thailand.

I am kind of surprised the markets like Tanin etc doesn't have a vendor with a grinder to grind butters.

They sell plenty of roasted nuts around town.

Is it there is no demand for nut/seed butters by the locals? baffled by high tech foods? sticks to the roof of their mouths?

Cashew, peanut, almonds, pine, chestnut, sesame, sunflower, macadamia seem like good candidates.

Maybe some entrepreneur should open up a shop. Call it or ButterLand or something .

That's exactly what Ive been doing at home for years now....

Start with 40+ baht bag of 500g skinned peanuts from Tesco or similar...

Roast in a toaster oven or similar for about an hour on 170C or so,,,until browned as desired. [some recipies offer higher temperatures, but from what I've read, you preserve the nutrition better by using the lower temperature, longer baking times.]

Then straight into an electric food processor, with nothing added or required...

Makes GREAT tasting and real, authentic peanut butter. A staple of my diet here.

And the same electric food processor does double duty in handling my homemade hummus...

Two cans of chick peas drained except for maybe 1/4 cup liquid, some lime juice, garlic, EV olive oil and a couple tablespoons of cumin power. Love it with lightly toasted pita bread rounds.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Roast in a toaster oven or similar for about an hour on 170C or so,,,until browned as desired. [some recipies offer higher temperatures, but from what I've read, you preserve the nutrition better by using the lower temperature, longer baking times.]

Then straight into an electric food processor, with nothing added or required...

Makes GREAT tasting and real, authentic peanut butter. A staple of my diet here.

That's good to know as last night after making my first batch of silky smooth hummus in my cheap three year old Carrfour blender I was contemplating making my own peanut butter.

I'm too cheap to pay for the imported stuff and also it's too full of cr@p for my liking.

And the same electric food processor does double duty in handling my homemade hummus...

Two cans of chick peas drained except for maybe 1/4 cup liquid, some lime juice, garlic, EV olive oil and a couple tablespoons of cumin power. Love it with lightly toasted pita bread rounds.

Just reread your edited post and realised that hummus and peanut butter are what we all must miss. Homemade is the way to go.

My old blender cost less than 400 baht and has performed miracles without a single problem.

That is what I do, but I add salt. I get the peanuts at Makro, 120 THB for a kilo. I usually use about 80% peanuts and 20% cashews as I like the way they blend together. Roast them at home and after they cool, throw them in the food processor attachment of the blender with a little salt. Just as said above, the longer you let it process the creamier it becomes.

Tastes much better than store-bought peanut butter and do the math......

Aren't you forgetting the tahina? I make it like you but with tahina. Ground sesame seeds works too - and very cheap in Thailand (one of the few things still cheap here!)

Depends on what you mean by "a blender."

To me, a blender is the vertical kind of unit with a very narrow base that typically is used to mix drinks. I've never tried making PB in that kind of unit, and am not sure it would work, or at least, work well.

On the other hand, the flatter, lower, wider bowl blending units I'd call food processors work great. I'm still using a 10 year old Black and Decker unit from the U.S. that's still running superbly... But I've seen similar food processor models here in Big C (formerly Carrefour) and some of the department stores around BKK for 3000+ baht....

They seem very overpriced here, compared to what I'd pay for a comparable model in the U.S. But if I ever need a new one, I guess I'd have to figure in shipping and see how a local purchase would compare.

All I know is, for me, the electric food processor is one of the most useful, most used things I brought along with me. And I never would have known that...at the time I moved.

Back home, natural PB was easy to purchase and not excessively expensive. Here it's hard to find and ridiculously overpriced, considering a 500g bag of peanuts costs about 40+ baht and produced about 16 ounces of PB, while the jars of natural PB in the supermarkets here seem to sell for 150-180 baht or more, depending on what and where you purchase.

A cheapo blender from Makro also works.

Not quite as convenient, but it does work. I also make things like Pesto and Chili paste (for chili con carne) in it.

Alternatively, you can get a free workout with one of these.

mortar-and-pestle.jpg

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Depends on what you mean by "a blender."

To me, a blender is the vertical kind of unit with a very narrow base that typically is used to mix drinks. I've never tried making PB in that kind of unit, and am not sure it would work, or at least, work well..

Most blenders also come with a smaller plastic cup and a blunt spinning blade. That's the one to use for grinding, and for turning things into a paste.

I have made peanut butter (and peanut satay sauce) in them.

Also good for turning other nuts into paste, like cashew butter and the like.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Glad to be corrected on my confusion between blenders and food processors.

If, as Winnie says, the blender is effectively convertible to a food processor I'm wondering which would be best for me. Possibly the food processor as I'm quite likely to make other things like tapenades and pestos - and I don't care for smoothies or thick soups. I'd appreciate any further advice on brand and quality of food processor - and where to best find these at good value. (I'm going to kick off with a look in Robinson today.) If they come in more than a single size I'll be tempted to choose the smallest because it'll be effectively for a single person consumer - but is size relevant to the quality or ease of processing or anything else?

Glad to be corrected on my confusion between blenders and food processors.

If, as Winnie says, the blender is effectively convertible to a food processor I'm wondering which would be best for me. Possibly the food processor as I'm quite likely to make other things like tapenades and pestos - and I don't care for smoothies or thick soups. I'd appreciate any further advice on brand and quality of food processor - and where to best find these at good value. (I'm going to kick off with a look in Robinson today.) If they come in more than a single size I'll be tempted to choose the smallest because it'll be effectively for a single person consumer - but is size relevant to the quality or ease of processing or anything else?

We have Philips. Have have used it on an almost daily basis for 5 years now without a single break-down. We did have to replace a couple of parts (baby dropped an attachment) and get a new blade once but Siam TV is the Philips rep here and got everything for us. Our model comes with 3 different size food processors, each with a blade used for certain purposes, the small one is for chopping up chiles, etc., medium we only use for grinding coffee but would be good for spices, etc. The large one for everything else.

Philips has promos all the time. I forget now but we paid about 2K?? THB for it. Oh and it has a blender too. Plus they gave us all kinds of Philips branded mixing bowls, storage bowls, etc.

Just a quick update. I made my first batch of peanut butter this afternoon in my upright blender without any incident but I think a proper food blender would be much better suited to the job. I'm kicking myself now as I saw an old Kenwood Chef from the 1970s on the TV classifieds for 6000 baht a year or so ago.

440 grammes of peanuts for 43 baht at Tesco filled a large jar to the brim.

I forgot about the nuts roasting in the oven and they were a little overdone but overall a decent first attempt. We will be eating peanut butter on toast for breakfast and then making some peanut butter bars from the allrecipes website.

• Like 1

This is the stuff I eat. The only time I saw it it in LOS was once at Foodland in BKK. No sugar. In the States comes in

creamy, chunky, and unsalted. Pack carefully, I once had a jar come undone in my checked bag! Years later I am still finding peanut butter fragments

on the edges of some CD cases that were in proximity to it.

• Like 1