Thai AirAsia X gets green light to launch

Lite Beer

Thai AirAsia X gets green light to launch

airasia-x-wikipedia.jpg?w=600&h=315

BANGKOK: -- The Thai government has officially approved the Air Operator’s Certificate (AOC) for Thai AirAsia X, the new Bangkok-based long-haul low-cost carrier.

The decision means that Thai AirAsia X is now expected to receive its AOC before the end of the year, bringing forward the launch date of its first flight into 2013, rather than Q1 2014.

The new Thai carrier was first announced this summer and will initially operate using a fleet of two Airbus A330-300 aircraft, featuring approximately 370 seats. Unlike Thai AirAsia’s short-haul operations, AirAsia X will offer a business class cabin with flat-bed seats and complimentary in-flight meals. Passengers in the economy class cabin will still be able to pay for hot and cold snacks.

The new carrier will be based at Bangkok’s second airport, Don Mueang, and plans to operate medium- and long-haul flights to destinations including Japan, China, South Korea and Australia.

“With its 10-year track record, Thai AirAsia has built a strong domestic and international short-haul network that can provide feeder traffic to Thai AirAsia X, which plans to be based in the same Don Muang Airport,” said Azran Osman-Rani, CEO of AirAsia X.

“Thai AirAsia X will also focus on flying to long-haul destinations in North Asia and Australia where AirAsia X has already built up brand awareness and operating bases, to speed up its market penetration. Passenger traffic from destinations in these markets to Bangkok is very high, largely leisure travellers, and primarily served by higher-cost full service airlines. Thai AirAsia X expects to significantly grow tourist arrivals to Thailand,” he added.

The Thai venture marks the first overseas subsidiary for AirAsia X, which currently operates flights from Kuala Lumpur. Following the cessation of its unsuccessful services to Europe, the carrier has more recently concentrated on regional routes in Asia Pacific, and recently announced plans to relaunch flights to India.

The new two-pronged Thai venture would put AirAsia in further direct competition with Thai Airways, which recently set up regional low-cost subsidiary, Thai Smile, in part to combat the threat of Thai AirAsia.

Source: http://absoluteresorts.wordpress.com/2013/10/16/thai-airasia-x-gets-green-light-to-launch/

--ABSOLUTE HOTELS 2013-10-17

While I am not AIr Asia's biggest fan - I must admit that when I plan trips to Bali or KL or Singapore - as well as many domestic flights - Air Asia often comes out substantially lower - even after baggage charges and ticketing fees. It amazes me that Thai AIrways is charging 18,000 THB for Bangkok to Bali even for advance purchase when a seat on AIr Asia for that route can be bought for 6,000 THB - it will be interesting to see if these new Air Asia X routes will bring down other airline's fares.

• Like 1

Hope they fit extra wide seats to accommodate all the cheapskates wearing their next two weeks of holiday clothing on the plane and books strapped round their middle, just so they can avoid a 50 dollar baggage charge! *

Cheap flight model + shorthaul = marriage made in heaven

Cheap flight model + longhaul = your worst relationship train wreck

* You think I'm joking?

Hope they fit extra wide seats to accommodate all the cheapskates wearing their next two weeks of holiday clothing on the plane and books strapped round their middle, just so they can avoid a 50 dollar baggage charge! *

Cheap flight model + shorthaul = marriage made in heaven

Cheap flight model + longhaul = your worst relationship train wreck

* You think I'm joking?

That just comes from not knowing how to pack. I just got back from a 6 week trip across Europe trip (London to Istanbul) with flights from BKK to LHR and Istanbul back to BKK with only a carry-on bag. And that included a large camera, lenses, and a tripod. Could have been gone for 6 months with the same stuff.

That said, Bali is at the outer limits of a distance I would fly on AA or any other low-cost carrier (e.g. Ryan Air).

David

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have been a AA frequent traveler on the Bkk-Kul-Mel route since the beginnings, those days

I could fly that route for less than $500 round trip, now days with all the add-ons the ticket get

to the $700+ on a good day and dearer on a bad day,

what was my biggest dislike was the long stop over in KUL sitting in this very basic, noisy and

uncomfortable, one fits-all departure lounge, the other drag was having to walk quite a distant

from the plane to the lounge and same when departing, all in all, not heart worming for a middle

aged travelers, those facts made me choose other airlines to fly home with.

Now however, with the introduction of the direct flight from DM with out that lay over I will certainly

give them another try, all that remain to see will be their fare structure and how competitive with

other direct flight to Melb.

Good idea , I fly with Thai air asia for some closed destination and never had to complain .. Let see with this long haul and biz class thing .... clap2.gif

My Partner flew Melbourne KL to Bangkok Air Asia on a A330 in BUSINESS CLASS last year. He said he would prefer the Thai Economy long haul... Just an opinion from a frequent flyer to thailand.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been a AA frequent traveler on the Bkk-Kul-Mel route since the beginnings, those days

I could fly that route for less than $500 round trip, now days with all the add-ons the ticket get

to the $700+ on a good day and dearer on a bad day,

what was my biggest dislike was the long stop over in KUL sitting in this very basic, noisy and

uncomfortable, one fits-all departure lounge, the other drag was having to walk quite a distant

from the plane to the lounge and same when departing, all in all, not heart worming for a middle

aged travelers, those facts made me choose other airlines to fly home with.

Now however, with the introduction of the direct flight from DM with out that lay over I will certainly

give them another try, all that remain to see will be their fare structure and how competitive with

other direct flight to Melb.

I bought two XAX flights earlier this week

- SYD-KUL (April 2014) - seat selection, insurance, meal - 240AUD

- KUL-PER (Jun 2014) - none of the above (I'll be living in Malaysia, but I still need a return flight) - 276MYR - ~95 AUD

Plugging the total cost of both into xe.com tonight gives me roughly 10K THB. If Thai AirAsia X can come anywhere near that figure for those flights (admittedly Perth is much closer to Asia and fares are often dirt cheap) they will be beating passengers off with a stick.

FWIW, I'll take AirAsia over Jetstar any day of the week, even the XAX regional flights crammed with Indians whose concept of 'carry on luggage' seems to include anything they can physically haul onto the plane, but can't quite seem to get into the overhead locker without the assistance of the tall, handsome Aussie shoehorned into in the seat behind them ;)