'Luxury' Visa Run - Penang

Just thought I would share my visa run experience for those looking for a more comfortable experience.

We flew with FireFly (departs Phuket on alternating days) direct to Penang. Flight was not cheap or the aircraft particularly large but flight time of only 1.15hrs it took no time at all.

Upon arriving in Penang we were processed through immigration almost immediately and in a taxi to Georgetown which took around 40 minutes.

We stayed at the Museum Hotel a No. 72 Jalan A.S.Mansoor - very attractive restored building with colonial era furnishings, 24hr gym and free wifi in every room. Preferring to spend our time in Penang we used the Visa service of Bannana guest house (Chulia St - walking distance). The ED visa normally takes 2 days although the 'express service' is same day. Staying around the old town there were some very nice bars and restaurants and more than enough to keep you entertained for a couple of days.

Having visited KL and disliked it enormously, Penang was a very pleasant surprise and a completely hassle free experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Enjoyed fireflys small plane in March  :-)

I far prefer Penang>

what did Banana charge you?  Minigood hotel gets u ur visa next day before 12, ( so u end up 2 nights in Penang) so u can make the flight back an only charges 50 MYR.

We were charged the same but paid an extra 60 MYR for guaranteed same day to be extra careful. Perhaps unnecessary. We were in Penang for 2 days also but were quoted a 2pm collection so the Minigood option looks better.

Just returned from Penang on AirAsia. On arrival Monday, once past immigration and customs, I walked to the bus stop (exit the terminal on the same floor as customs and walk across the traffic lanes to the center island then turn left and walk to bus stop (metal colored bench and shelter.) Waited 30 minutes for bus 401E (2.70 RM fare to Georgetown)and took it to Komtar center in Georgetown. It took just over and hour because it was evening rush hour. I booked a cheap hotel near Komtar to be near easy transport. Heliconia Hotel next to Penanag Sentral Hotel. Lots of food choices near by. I especially liked the DeHappy Chinese seafood restaurant on Jalan Macallister. During my stay I used the free local shuttle bus. Wait times vary, but plan for 30 minutes. Penang Rapid Transit is a misnomer as waiting time for buses can be long and there is no real express service. Trip from the Jetty to Penang Hill took an hour. I found it was best to get the bus at the Jetty Bus terminal rather than Komtar since buses are quit full before reaching Komtar terminal. The shopping was great all around, especially at Komtar (three big malls next to each other.)I decided to experience a return trip to the airport via Rapid Bus to see what it really takes. Waited 30 minutes at stop 11 for a free ride to the Jetty (wanted a seat for the long ride) and arrived 20 minutes later. Bus 401E was loading so I jumped on and paid the 2.70 RM for the ride. After a wait of 20 minutes we were off. Stopped at Komtar and it got very crowded (glad I got on at the Jetty.) Then off to the airport.45 minutes later we arrived at the airport bus stop. Check in and immigration was a breeze so I toured the airport. Lots of food choices and a few shops selling sweets, jewelry, etc. AirAsia back to DM.

Georgetown is fun for a day or two and lots to see and do if you take a bus (Rapid is very cheap.)

• Like 1

Can I ask the approx cost of the trip excluding spending money? Thanks..

Yes, can you break up the vost for the air fare and hotel also please? And is firefly a new airline?

Firefly are the budget arm of Malaysia airlines. Budget it isn't, however, as my flight was 8800 BHT return (may be cheaper if you book in advance). The hotel, which was worth every penny was 2500 BHT.

Spending money - we drank quite a bit but found a 'bar' called Antarabangsa at the northernmost end of Muntri St. Local beers (Skol) were 100 BHT for 3! Hotel bars were charging around 250 BHT for a bottle.

Food very cheap - try the Nasi Kandar joints open 24hrs and around 300 BHT for a huge meal of lamb, chicken or prawn.

• Like 1

I also just made a visa run to Penang from Don Muang airport on Air Asia. With just carryon luggage, off the plane, through immigration and customs in about 10 minutes. Very easy and no issues or cost for visa on arrival. Went out and did not see any bank currency exchange but they had ATM machines so took money from my Kasikorn account. Went to taxi desk and you prepay the fare for your destination and then just give the driver the paid slip. Nice clean white cars for the airport service and cost was 74 MR to Batu Feranghi on the north side of the island. Nice area and as others mentioned food reasonable and good. Rented a motorbike and rode around the entire island for a couple of days. Did not see any police or have any issues. Everything seemed clean and efficient in the ol colonial style. Did not cross the bridge to the mainland.

Although was unimpressed on the terminal after customs or arrival, the departure area was very nice mostly before security and immigration. Had currency exchanges, food, shopping, etc. Good airport given its small size.

WE flew down in June from Phuket on Firefly and booking like 2 weeks in advance paid less than 8,000 baht for two,

drove down in March, 9 1/2 hous from Phuket via Sadao.

MInigood hotel is 100 MYR/night, great loctaion as only 3 blocks to Chula street, 4 blocks to the E&O hotel (one of the great old ladies of Asia) on the water

Plenty of places to have a great meal on the main street for under 40 MYR for 2 people.

PLenty of shops on Chula street for shopping an better prices than Komtar.

If u spent 300 myr ( 3,000 baht) i bet u ate very well!!!

This was my first trip to Penang in over 15 years an it has not changed much ( expect for all the drinking places/pubs near the E&O) an the future looks very bright, they are redoing and preserving many of the old chinese shop houses an its great city to walk around.

Make sure u visit Key lock See temple

MY Penang trip

Edited by phuketrichard

Being on extensions havnt had the need to go there for a few years but friends always fill me in. Apparently Georgetown now has a Subway, it really is a great get away from Thailand for a few days, holiday as well as obtaining visa. Believe they still have Samui Jim in Chulia for visa quries. Batu Ferenghi was always a nice day out on the bike. Soho bar still there . Komptar for shopping...yeah maybe look at a few days for a break. The train although slow after passing through immigration was a cheap/relaxing way to go. Get the ferry over and then bus no 28??? for a few Baht to Chulia. Sleeping overnight and starts in BKK, stops, Hua Hin, Surat and probably a few more places between. Always good to hear that someone has had an enjoyable visa experience. First time there was driving from Phuket, think about 10 hours in total but have done the train, bus and fly. Flying obviously the quickest but all options were fine without any drama. Only problem on bus is on return a night in Hat Yai is almost always needed, depending on your final destination

Edited by PattayaPhom

Any curry fans, you get the best Madras ever with a nam straight out the clay oven, only about 80 Baht, bottom end of Chulia at Little India.!!!

Thanks to everybody for the info re Penang. I am proposing to drive down early next year from Hua-Hin to spend about 4 days there. Can anybody recommend a reasonably priced hotel (I'm not into 5* stuff) that has car parking facilities. Would be interested to hear of places to visit in the area. I drove down to Malaysia last year for a four week visit, playing golf and enjoyed the courses very much, but didn't find many decent restaurants unfortunately apart from the one's that I would have described as being orientated to 'Indian' food which I enjoy very much. I found that a lot of the Malaysian places that my Malaysian golfing friends took me to served food which was very much 'sloppy noodle based'; maybe I was unlucky having stayed in KL a few years ago and found many very good places to eat at, where sometimes there were five different self service places under one roof.

One of the things that I found amazing in Malaysia was the very cheap price of diesel. I didn't see many diesel cars on my travels and someone told me that the diesel Fortuners (which I drive) are a bit of a rarity there. I only saw about 5 of them in my 4,500Km trip; all the rest were petrol versions. My Malaysian friends warned me to have extra security fitted (which I did) before going on my trip, but glad to say I didn't have any problems. The other thing; if you haven't driven in Malaysia before, is the great motorways they have; albeit 'toll' one's, but not expensive if the truth be known, think it cost me about 500 baht from the border to KL. The roads were so good that on my return trip I managed the 1240km fro KL to Hua-Hin in 13 hours including a long hours delay at the Thai border crossing.

I hope the above info is of some use to anybody that is contemplating driving down to Malaysia.