Chicago Consulate Says 55 For Retirement Visa?

I just called the Chicago Royal Thai Consulate and was told the age for a retirement visa is not 50 but 55, and has been so for over a year. Is this a case where I need to look for a different Consulate, or is this accurate information? If it is a case where I need a better consulate, can anybody recommend a good one, preferably not too far from Detroit?

Have them look at Non-Immigrant Visa "O-A" (Long stay) - visa for retired persons.

This type of visa will be issued to applicants aged 50 years or above.

The information from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' website should be consistent with the consulate's. If the consulate thinks that the information on the website is incorrect, then the consulate should inform the Ministry.

Interestingly, the Chicago Royal Thai Consulate's own website also gives the retirement age as 50.

VII. Retirement in Thailand (see also Retirement Visas), the applicant must be at least 50 years old and must submit documents as follows :

As well as the Royal Thai Embassy in Washington, D.C.

A Residence Permit in the case of Retirement for Person who is 50 years or Over

1. Qualifications for the Applicant.

1.1 An alien being 50 years of age and above (on the date of submitting and application).

I quess that the person who informed you about the change in retirement age from 50 to 55 must inform all the Royal Thai Embassies and Consulates worldwide who got the "wrong" information on their websites. This would include his own consulate's website.

Edited by vinny

Sometimes consulates are a world unto themselves, and don't appreciate being "corrected." If it really has been changed from 50 to 55, that would be very big news and likely we would know about it here.

Edited by Thaiquila

Drop a line to the head of immigration at Suan Plu asking for clarification.

I think his name is Maj Gen Hemmeraj.

He will put the guys in Chicago on the right track!!

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has just confirmed to me that the retirement age remains at age 50 and over.

Yes, it is correct. This has been changed over 4-5 years.

Requirements for retirement visa;

- age 50 years over

- income to support their living at least 80,000 baht per months (around 800.000/year)

this amount may be either deposit in Thailand or in their own country, confirm by

with bank statement.

- Certificate to prove that he/she is never involved in any criminal offences from

police department.

- Medical certificate to prove that he/he has no prohibited disease.

- 3 application form with 3 photoes. fee about 5000 baht.

Once applicant arrived Thailand, immigration officer will grant permit to stay 1 years.

Anyways he/she should report themselves to local police every 3 months by

turning up or letter.

If he/she is over 50 years of age, but could not meet the above requirements, it is

allow to apply for Non-Immigrant Visa category "O" with 3 months stay.

All These informations may be usefull to you.

The person that you talked to at the Chicago Royal Thai Consulate was, as suspected, incorrect. If you can get his/her name then I can ask the Ministry to instruct him/her directly.

The Chicago Consulate has got to be one of the worst I've ever dealt with.

They either ignore you or give bum information. A world unto themselves does not even begin to describe that bunch... :o

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has just confirmed to me that the retirement age remains at age 50 and over.
Yes, it is correct. This has been changed over 4-5 years.

Requirements for retirement visa;

- age 50 years over

- income to support their living at least 80,000 baht per months (around 800.000/year)

this amount may be either deposit in Thailand or in their own country, confirm by

with bank statement.

- Certificate to prove that he/she is never involved in any criminal offences from

police department.

- Medical certificate to prove that he/he has no prohibited disease.

- 3 application form with 3 photoes. fee about 5000 baht.

Once applicant arrived Thailand, immigration officer will grant permit to stay 1 years.

Anyways he/she should report themselves to local police every 3 months by

turning up or letter.

If he/she is over 50 years of age, but could not meet the above requirements, it is

allow to apply for Non-Immigrant Visa category "O" with 3 months stay.

All These informations may be usefull to you.

The person that you talked to at the Chicago Royal Thai Consulate was, as suspected, incorrect. If you can get his/her name then I can ask the Ministry to instruct him/her directly.

with bank statement.

Humm , i was in the impression , the 800000 need to be deposit in thailand only ...

can someone confirm ..

thk

No the money does not have to be in Thailand for an O-A visa. It has to be in Thailand, or pension, for an extension of stay from Immigration. So you have a year or so to transfer it.

The Chicago Consulate has got to be one of the worst I've ever dealt with.

They either ignore you or give bum information. A world unto themselves does not even begin to describe that bunch... :o

I have to agree . I have been there many times and from what I see , they pretty much make it up as they go along .

Now I always bring my wife . Once they told me I needed to show my airplane tickets before giving me a visa . I said , you didn't ask for them last time ( same guy ) Then she stepped in . All was good after .