Bangladeshi attempts to pawn fake gold, twice, at Central Pattaya Gold Shop

webfact

Bangladeshi attempts to pawn fake gold, twice, at Central Pattaya Gold Shop

gold-52.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Police arrested a 32 year old Bangladesh National on Friday afternoon accused of attempting to Pawn 2 fake gold bracelets and this follows an earlier exchange of cash for fake gold at the same shop by the suspect.

Police were called to the Mangontong Yaowalat Gold Shop in Soi Baukaow at the entrance to Soi LK Metro just after 3.30pm and arrested Mr. Ashiqua Pahamni.

According to the shop owner, Khun Chalidar aged 48, he had initially pawned two gold bracelets, which were later found to be fake, for 26,000 Baht on 14th October.

On his return visit on Friday, the owner recognized the man and called the Police. On the second occasion he again tried to pawn two fake gold bracelets.

Full story: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/106319/bangladeshi-attempts-pawn-fake-gold-twice-central-pattaya-gold-shop/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-10-19

Arrested Bangladesh Man Pawns Fake Gold

PATTAYA:--A recently arrested Bangladeshi man pawned a fine face gold bracelet to a Pattaya gold shop, then cheekily came back to pawn it again, but the shop owner was suspicious so she checked the quality of the gold then asked the police to arrest him.

PATTAYA – October 18, 2013 [PDN]; – At 4.00 p.m. Police Lieutenant Colonel. Kiettisak Sathong-oy, who is the Deputy Superintendent of Pattaya City police station, went together with a police patrol officer for an inspection at the “Mangkornthong Yaowarat” gold shop, located at 33/74 Soi Bua-Khao within busy Pattaya City’s Chonburi Province. This occurred after they were informed by M/s. Chalida Sap-aram, who is the gold shop’s owner, that there was a foreign man pawning fake fine gold to her, but she could restrain him immediately.

At the crime scene they found that M/s. Chalida Sap-aram was waiting for the police to arrive and was still with Mr. Ashiqua Pahamni, a 32-year old, Bangladeshi national, with the 2- pieces of jewellery. One was a 22-karat fine gold bracelet and both pieces weighed 1-THB each, so the police held him for questioning by an investigation officer. This has led to the dishonest man being prosecuted according to Thai law.

M/s. Chalida Sap-aram (the victim) told the police that on Monday 14th October, 2013, Mr. Ashiqua Pahamni brought two (fake) fine gold bracelets to pawn at her shop and got paid 26,000 THB (Thai baht) in cash.

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/10/19/arrested-bangladesh-man-pawns-fake-gold/

--PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2013-10-19

How did the owner get taken the first time? She's "supposed to" own a gold shop / does no testing / dishes out all kinds of baht without knowing if it's real or not?? Consider herself very lucky that the guy returned!!

Edited by mushroomdave

How can they be charged for trying to pawn some bracelets

"They" in this case appears to be one person and he apparently represented them as being gold, but they were "fake," whatever that means ... maybe gold plated and he has already pulled the same scam for Baht 26,000.

There are a few gold shops I use for buying and selling gold, usually in the form two-baht tablets/bars, and almost always cleverly timing my transactions so that I end up paying more than I get when I sell. I always keep the paper receipt and use the same shop for both sides of any deal. If nothing else, the receipt is good for a few chuckles regarding my timing and the prevailing prices. There is obviously an element of trust on both sides when doing this, but I imagine if more idiots like this guy try these scams that that element of trust will be strained for everyone.

According to the shop owner, Khun Chalidar aged 48, he had initially pawned two gold bracelets, which were later found to be fake, for 26,000 Baht on 14th October.
Edited by Suradit69

Ive done this myself, accidentally, glad I wasnt arrested for it

How do you pawn fake gold accidentally? If you know that you've done the same thing then you must have known the gold was fake, so you "accidentally" deliberately perpetrated a fraud?

How do you pawn fake gold accidentally? If you know that you've done the same thing then you must have known the gold was fake, so you "accidentally" deliberately perpetrated a fraud?

I had no idea if it was fake or not, or that I could be arrested for offering to sell it

I had no idea if it was fake or not, or that I could be arrested for offering to sell it

So how do you know that you've done this yourself if you don't know whether it was fake?

So how do you know that you've done this yourself if you don't know whether it was fake?

the difference was the gold shop I went to didnt buy it, they knew it was fake as they should have, I didnt because I know nothing about gold, or that I could have been arrested

Really simple. You walk into a pawn shop, and try to pawn an item you believe to be gold.

Really simple. You walk into a pawn shop, and try to pawn an item you believe to be gold.

it seems to set an endless precedent, for example could I get arrested for selling a motorbike to a Thai motorbike shop if it they later discover it has something wrong with it?

• 1 month later...

Can anyone with real knowledge explain how someone who has purchased gold necklaces/jewelry here in Thailand can check at home if it is real or fake? Is there a simple test one can do to establish their purchase was in fact real gold or were they duped? Thanks for any real life responses in advance.