Getting Divorced (Hopefully)

Wakspee

Hello

In a couple of weeks I'm traveling to Bangkok from Uk and hopefully flying my wife down from Esaan to meet me there to get divorced in the same Amphur office we got married in about 5 years ago.

I need to do this so I can re-marry in the UK but to do so I have to show my certification of divorce.

It needs to be in English and I was wondering if anyone knew the process.

Is it a legal document required or can I just go to one of those offices near the British Embassy for a translation?

Is there some sort of protocol?

Many thanks

You need to have the divorce document translated into English, than certified by the Thai Foreign Ministry and then certified by the embassy.

Thanks for the info.

In your experience do you think this will all be manageable in a couple of days??

You need to have the divorce document translated into English, than certified by the Thai Foreign Ministry and then certified by the embassy.

Thanks for the info.

In your experience do you think this will all be manageable in a couple of days??

Yes, translated document in morning, straight to MFA, day after to your embassy.

• Like 1

Go straight to MFA and use translators located there. If there are any problems when you submit documents at MFA the translators are very close.. Then go to embassy.

Sorry, just want to make doubly sure....

I need to get the divorce document translated into ENGLISH and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs will Certify an English document??

Wouldn't the British Embassy be more likely to certify an English document?

It doesn't make much sense to me but I'm not experienced in these things and, well... TiT wai2.gif

Thank you for your advice Mario. It seems you know what you are talking about.

I would like to throw something at you and please if you have time could you help with some clarification.....

I'm heading to Bangkok in a couple of weeks for the sole purpose of divorcing my Thai wife who lives up in Udon

She lives there with her 8 year old daughter, not my daughter.

She lives there in a house which I built after purchasing land. She has my car, my motorbike, everything.

I want nothing from her. Just a divorce. Everything I have in Udon I give to her.

We were married about 5 years and I haven't fallen out with her. I just had enough of Thailand and didn't want to be with her anymore.

Most of the time I spent in the UK anyway and I would come over to live with her for about 3-4 months of the year.

Now I live with another woman, a British girl and would like to move on with my life.

Even up until now I have been sending her money to help her get by and to help with her kid. Not a lot, about 10,000 baht per month.

I've spoke to her many times about me coming over for a divorce and she seems to have accepted this now. I dangled a 100,000 baht carrot in front of her which I think has eased it somewhat.

I got married in Bang Sue, Bangkok and would like to go back to the same Amphur office to get divorced.

My understanding is I will just turn up there with the wife and 2 witnesses and it's pretty straight forward as long as we both agree it is mutual and none of us are claiming any assets? I would then take my divorce paper to get translated into English, take that to the MFA to be certified and then take that to the British Embassy in Bangkok to be certified by them?

A friend of mine who got married and divorced all in a very short time seems to think differently.

He sent me this email last night...

Hi R...yes we tried just turning up where we got married too...unfortunately it turned out to be more complicated than that...

i had to go to the British Embassy a couple of times for a document from them-that had to be translated,and then i had to go to
the ministry for foreign affairs with the translation and get documents from them....then there were more papers at the registry office the following day..
all in all it took three days to sort out,and a certain amount of Baht(which is all covered within the OoS fee...)
this is why i think its good to get them to sort it out...it IS more difficult to get divorced in Thailand than married!!
good luck....
OoS is a company which deals with marriages and divorces in Thailand and I'm wondering if my friend just had the wool pulled over his eyes a bit as his Thai is very limited and he is a bit naive (he was pretty much forced to marry this girl).
Do you know if there is any truth in this being needed to be done BEFORE I go to the district office with my wife.
I want to fly her down for the divorce and then hopefully fly her back on the same day...
Many thanks

Never heard of this. Makes me wonder if he was both married and divorced in Thailand.

Division of assets is one of the things you do during the divorce, at the time of signing the divorce register you can enter a divorce settlement wich will than become a legally binding contract.

Note that Thai law does normally not know any alimony.