Listen to the public, Pheu Thai advised

webfact

Listen to the public, Pheu Thai advised
The Nation

30217683-01_big.jpg
Payao Akahad talks to Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva about amnesty bill.

Relatives of 2010 crackdown victims voice opposition to latest version of amnesty bill

BANGKOK: -- Payao Akahad and other relatives of victims of the 2010 crackdown held a press conference yesterday to voice their opposition to the new version of the amnesty bill that seeks to grant blanket amnesty to all sides.

The group said those charged with wrongdoing must undergo investigation according to the rule of law no matter whether they belong to the government or the opposition. However, ordinary protesters deserved to be released on bail during the legal process.

"The amendment of the draft law [by the vetting panel] has proved that the Pheu Thai Party does not listen to the people's voices, especially those of the victims' relatives who were directly damaged," Payao said.

This confirms the belief that the ruling party will do what it can to help fugitive former PM Thaksin Shinawatra return home, she said. On the other hand, opposition leader Abhisit Vejjajiva, who was PM at the time of the crackdown, and his then-deputy Suthep Thaugsuban were ready to face the legal process, she said.

The group is planning to submit a letter opposing the bill to Parliament on Thursday.

Separately, Pheu Thai MP Weng Tojirakarn, who is also a red-shirt leader, said yesterday that he and the red shirts were opposed to the blanket amnesty proposal. However, he said he believed the ruling party would eventually pass the original version of MP Worachai Hema's bill as it had no choice but to heed the demands of the red-shirt people. He added that several Pheu Thai MPs also disagreed with the vetting panel's version of the bill.

"The Pheu Thai Party must respect the will of the red shirts, otherwise I don't know what will happen," he said.

Meanwhile, Pheu Thai MP Chavalit Vichayasuthi said it was not true that the new version of the bill would help Thaksin recoup his assets. He said the amnesty was designed to grant justice in the wake of the 2006 coup, adding that the bill was based on a similar law enacted after the October 14, 1973 uprising.

Granting amnesty to people involved in politically motivated incidents was in accordance with international legal practice, Chavalit added.

Also yesterday, Abhisit said the vetting committee has suspiciously brought its meeting forward by a week to this Thursday. "This rescheduling is a clear sign that the government wants to cut short the vetting process," Abhisit said.

He said the opposition would be denied sufficient time to air dissenting opinions on draft provisions designed to favour Thaksin.

Pheu Thai MP Samart Kaewmechai, in his capacity as the committee chair, said he had no intentions to rush the vetting process. It just so happened that all relevant documents were ready ahead of time, which allowed the panel members to comment on the vetted provisions by reserving their right to speak on the floor, he said.

He said he expected that the panel might hold two additional meetings before the bill is ready for the second reading by early next month.

Samart also said the draft provisions solely focused on granting amnesty to those involved in the political mayhem and did not address the issue of Thaksin's Bt46-billion assets that were seized by court. If Thaksin wants to recoup his wealth, he is obliged to seek judicial review following amnesty, he said.

"I don't think the government will collapse because of the amnesty law, though I am concerned that the protests instigated might be a pretext to pave the way for another coup," he said.

Democrat MP Nipit Intarasombat said he expected some 100,000 protesters to take to the streets when the House convened for the second and third readings of the bill. The amnesty debate might take place around November 6, he said.

Deputy government spokesman Sunisa Lertpakawat said the opposition should stop attacking PM Yingluck Shinawatra in relation to the amnesty bill because she had nothing to do with it.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-22

"Granting amnesty to people involved in politically motivated incidents was in accordance with international legal practice, Chavalit added."

I don't think that granting amnesty to Thaksin for his inciting the 2010 riots is in accordance with international law.

• Like 1

Hahaha everything about this stinks. My favorite part was when they said that people should stop attacking Prime Minister Barbie because she had 'nothing to do with it.' OMG has there ever been a more useless 'leader'?

This bill is all about the featherweight of justice, honesty and accountability versus the golden heavyweight of power, position, nepotism and wealth resulting from corruption.

The purse for this bout is the democracy of Thailand and the freedom of its people.

The heavyweights in the Red corner sponsored trained and managed by Thaksin seem on the face of it able to outbox and outpoint the featherweights in the Blue corner.

The crowd at this prizefight, the Thai people are not so enthusiastic for the heavyweights, also there seems to be split in the Red Heavyweights camp regarding the style of the metaphorical pugilistic encounter and sparring that is going whilst the seconds are still in the ring

The referee and the judges of this particular encounter may well award a points win or a technical knockout to the featherweights in this contest due to the low punches and foul punches in this bout

The problem of a split camp and perhaps those in the split camp betting on a featherweight win could indeed end up with the towel being thrown in by the heavyweights due to a little fight fixing or as already said a decision by the referee and the judges on technical grounds..1zgarz5.gif.pagespeed.ce.GJfs_tQOQ-.gif

• Like 1

I do not understand why people tell politicians to listen to the people. What give you the idea that the politicians really care. All they care about is to whom tolls their bell, that is the bell on the deposit in their back pocket.The people only account when it is time for election, after the election the politician works for Big Brother.

• Like 1

Payao Akahad talks to Democrat leader Abhisit Vejjajiva about amnesty bill.

x30217683-01_big.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ypgcYS

I'd love to have been there with a tape recorder. Look at the defensive body positioning and the look on his fellow cons conference attendees faces. is this the bit he repeats his mantra, "Sorry 'bout you daughter but"

“It was clear that the military never took aggressive action,” Abhisit said yesterday in an interview. “We didn’t even allow them to go in to disperse the protests in the main protest site. All they were doing was setting up barriers to cordon off the protests. And these checkpoints were being attacked, and they were defending themselves.”

defending themselves to the point of firing into First Aid Tents. Right.

And I can see why and agree with Payao who wants to fight against this version of the bill although the last part of her last sentence will probably come true unfortunately.

Payao Akkhahad’s daughter, Kamolkate, was a volunteer medic who was shot dead while treating injured Red Shirts who were sheltering at a temple after the army swept in.

“Her siblings and relatives have been waiting for this for a long time,” said Payao, 47. “This is the first time that a person who has ordered the killing of civilian protesters will be put through legal proceedings. Even though it’s late, it’s better than a day that never comes at all.”

Edited by fab4

fab4 post # 8

Now I seem to recall as no doubt many others do too the earlier invasion of a hospital by your heroes.

Any comments concerning that matter from you?

• Like 1

So the relatives of innocents killed in 2010 don't like the whitewash bill (their suggested bill was vetoed by DL), the red shirts don't like it (half-heartedly) and just about everyone not a Thaksin acolyte doesn't like it. But they're still going ahead.

This is a just a taste of what may well come if Thaksin gets the reins of power again - Shin uber alles.

"It just so happened that all relevant documents were ready ahead of time". That must be a first for this government. Can't really believe as I can recall a few other documents that have been outstanding for rather a long time that have yet to be completed, about a certain passport for instance.

fab4 post # 8

Now I seem to recall as no doubt many others do too the earlier invasion of a hospital by your heroes.

Google "chulalongkorn hospital an alternative account" new mandela. I wouldn't deign to claim that you will be convinced but others of a more enquiring mind may find something of interest.

fab4 post # 8

Google "chulalongkorn hospital an alternative account" new mandela. I wouldn't deign to claim that you will be convinced but others of a more enquiring mind may find something of interest.

Wow explosive information there fab4, some unidentified person claims to have seen military and black shirt thugs running around the hospital. This anonymous person then surmises that, the hospital was emptied of patients not because the redshirts were raiding it, but because the military wanted to run around it.

So the relatives of innocents killed in 2010 don't like the whitewash bill (their suggested bill was vetoed by DL), the red shirts don't like it (half-heartedly) and just about everyone not a Thaksin acolyte doesn't like it. But they're still going ahead.

This is a just a taste of what may well come if Thaksin gets the reins of power again - Shin uber alles.

You can add "most Thais" being opposed to the amnesty bill as per the latest public polling.

It's no wonder the PTP won't put the amnesty to a referendum.

They'd lose.