Baby name ideas

jaffacake32

I'm expecting my second child in April, the father is Thai and I would like some suggestions of first names, possibly of Thai origin. They will have a long Thai surname so not wanting anything that is too much of a mouthful. Hoping to find out the sex in a few weeks. Any suggestions would be great, thanks.

• Like 1

Well, when we were expecting our daughter, we thought about the following names:

Som (orange)

Noi Na (custard apple)

Gaew (glass)

Nadee (good farm)

Nadee won in the end.

Edited by ChrisB87
  • Like 1

My son has a thai first name, uk middle and thai last, we also gave him a nickname that he uses day to day, one that is easy for both countries, it works best for him, nothing too out there and nothing that will affect him in future as he will be able to use the nickname in uk professionally and thai name in thailand. Panya.

I opened a thread about 11 months ago now called nice names for a Thai girl. Got some really good ones. Check that out maybe. Our daughters name is Raya. Jade for a middle name.

For a boy Jet or Jackie I don't mind.

Thai names are often a mixtur of sylables from both parents names or families.

Some common nick names in the past few years have been leaves or fruits. One of my daughters friends name is Gratit (coconut cream) the English translation sounds silly but I think in Thai it is very cute.

Tukta for girl is nice.

If he already has a Thai surname, i'd pair it up with a western (or at least western-sounding) first name. At the end of the day, they'll use their nick name more often anyhow. I've got a few names I could suggest, but we're expecting another baby in a few weeks, so I'm holding onto the names until then.

In my experience Thais are happy with any name that can be shortened into an easily pronounced nickname - preferably one that's an already existing Thai nickname or close to it, but not necessarily as new nicknames are coined all the time, and foreign words/names are often used.

When son #1 came along we called him Alex, which gets pronounced Alec by his Thai family and they seem happy with that as a nickname. Son #2 is Arthur and that gets pronounced A-tuer, again a nickname that the Thai family have no problem adopting.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• 3 weeks later...