Thai divorce papers.

essexman

Not sure if any member can help me with this one. I want to go to the British Embassy to get a affirmation of freedom to marry sorted. The only divorce papers I have, is my divorce from my Thai wife. This was done at the amphur in Pattaya. The whole document is in Thai ... Will this be a problem when I present it to the embassy?

I got divorced 18 months ago.and the attached papers. If any had to be translated into my language. IE English.

If just the cert then no translation required. But has there was kids had to be done by law.or no divorce

Hope this helps

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

So is marriage in the plans, or just freedom to marry. I just have cert myself.... no money exchange (at time of divorce). "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me" comes to mind. But she may be different, but different enough?

Moved to family forum.

Contact the embassy, it might be and they aso might require documents from your home country that you didn't marry in the UK since your divorce.

What sort of document would you get from your home country, saying that you didn't marry?

Well I'm going on Monday (28th) so I will stick a post on when I get back. For you information Joe, the Embassy told me that a English or Thai divorce paper is OK. The lady I spoke to, said the staff accept a Thai divorce paper, and no need to translate into English. However the proof will be in the pudding on Monday.

Regarding getting it translated, I agree, its no big hassle. However if its not required, why do it?

Thanks to the members who have given me advice on my OP.

Moved to family forum.

Contact the embassy, it might be and they aso might require documents from your home country that you didn't marry in the UK since your divorce.

What sort of document would you get from your home country, saying that you didn't marry?

They would check the registar and you might need proof of that for the embassy to issue an affirmation.

Not every country works the same, but I can get a certificate about my status from the registar in my country and need to show that to my embassy for them to issue the affirmation of freedom to marry letter.

Well went to the Embassy in Bangkok yesterday ... It all went without a hitch. The Thai divorce papers were all accepted, without having to have them translated. I guess I was in there for around 1 hour 30 minutes. I had 4 people in front of me, and I waited about 45 minutes after being seen, for the affirmation to be done. I was approached by a tout to get the affirmation translated into Thai. They did this for 300 baht. Thought that was quite reasonable, my wife checked it all and hopefully it will be accepted for the visit to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. I could have let this agency do this for me, but they wanted 3,300 baht. I don't know, I just felt it was a bit steep, plus I was a tad worried about them sending it to me. I have found Thai post a bit hit and miss, and I could just imagine the hassle if the documents got lost. So I will at some point go to the M.O.F.A myself. Run out of time yesterday because my wife wanted to get to Pratunam market to get some stock for her market stall. Must say all the travel yesterday went without hitch. I parked at Bangna at a Tesco lotus. Caught the Sky train to Ploenchit. The Embassy is really close to the exit there. After we caught the train to Chidlom... Only one stop for the market. Coming home I used the Google map GPS ... It got me out of Bangna and on to the expressway easily. OK ... Is it possible to get to the M.O.F.A by driving? I'm in no rush, but will go there within the next month I would think.

Easy to get there by car.

Don't drive all the way to immigration, the Consular department is a building just before that soi, with a lot of flags.

Remember that you give them the documents to be certified and for 65 baht they will send it home to you by express mail. They provide enveloppe and stamps. takes about 5 workdays and is half the price for when you want sameday service (for which you must submit the documents before noon and there is only a limited number of applications taken in per day).

• Like 1