Mother of slain paramedic calls for exemption of Abhisit, Suthep from amnesty

webfact

Mother of slain paramedic calls for exemption of Abhisit, Suthep from amnesty
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Payao Akahad, mother of Kamolket, the paramedic who was fatally shot during the crackdown on demonstrators in May 2010, demanded on Thursday that the amnesty bill exclude former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and former deputy prime minister Suthep Thaugsuban from the blanket amnesty.

She submitted her demand in a letter to Samart Kaewmechai, chairman of the House ad hoc committee vetting the amnesty bill.

Her group, which includes relatives of victims killed or injured in the crackdown, called on the committee to amend a clause in the bill so that the former government leaders, who ordered the dispersal by troops of red-shirt demonstrators in 2010, would not receive an amnesty.

The group also called on the government to speed up assistance to those detained over the incident so that they could get bail.

Payao said the passage of the amnesty bill should be postponed pending public hearings on the issue.

She said if her group's requests were not met, a demonstration could be planned.

The special House committee vetting the amnesty bill on Thursday allowed its members to present their opinions and reasons for disagreeing with the resolutions of the majority.

The session will continue through Friday.

The opinions would be compiled in a report for presentation to the House meeting during the second reading of the bill.

Committee chairman Samart Kaewmechai, from Pheu Thai Party, said he was not trying to conclude the vetting so that the bill could be returned to the House quickly. He pointed out, however, that the bill has only a few articles so vetting could be completed fast.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-24

If the red shirts hadn't been running all over town like a bunch of ciminals, none of this would have happened. Yet it's the Democrat governments fault.

Now you have a small group of students protesting peasefully in a corner, and the Thaksin government (let's call a spade a spade) in bringing in Internal security acts.

We are a long long way from any sort of harmony in this country, and we all know who is quietly stirring things up from afar.

• Like 2

She said if her group's requests were not met, a demonstration could be planned.

*yawn*

Get in line, Payao.

It won't do any good, though.

This government is committed to eliminating double standards and a double standard is what you are demanding.

• Like 1

what is her opinion in giving Thaksin blanket immunity?

It is pretty obvious. She specifically named Abhist and Suthep.

Not a word About Thaksin. Obviously he has reached her some how as her original proposition did not exclude him.

When she first came out with her proposal I thought it was a good idea in that it would still leave the Primary perpetrator subject to prosecution if he ever got up enough nerve to step back into Thailand. Abhist and Suthep backed it also.

In my opinion she is just another red shirt willing to do any thing that Thaksin tells her to do. I don't give a dam that her doughter was killed as she is willing to let the man responsible for it go free and try to Punish the ones who ended the attempted Coup.

• Like 2

The poor woman is so misguided she cannot see who was responsible for the whole disaster. The Abhisit government was far too soft in the crackdown, allowing a bunch of redshirt thugs to erect a fortress in downtown Bangkok, leaving the government absolutely no alternative to take. Accidents happen in any violent confrontation, and she has great reason to grieve, but it was obvious that the violence was instigated and maintained by the redshirt goons and inevitable that casualties would occur. Grief understood, lady, but you are blaming the wrong people.

I'd love to see you explain your viewpoint to her face to face, I really would.

Not a word About Thaksin. Obviously he has reached her some how as her original proposition did not exclude him.

When she first came out with her proposal I thought it was a good idea in that it would still leave the Primary perpetrator subject to prosecution if he ever got up enough nerve to step back into Thailand. Abhist and Suthep backed it also.

In my opinion she is just another red shirt willing to do any thing that Thaksin tells her to do. I don't give a dam that her doughter was killed as she is willing to let the man responsible for it go free and try to Punish the ones who ended the attempted Coup.

I wasn't aware that anyone other than Abhisit and Suthep had responsibility for ordering the Army on to the streets and to use live ammunition against their own people.

Until uncaring people like you and others like you who don't give a dam_n about the Army slaying civilians in Thailand, become less self centred and arrogant about these atrocities, this country will continue to be plagued by these low lifes who use the Army as a political prop.

Edited by fab4

I wasn't aware that anyone other than Abhisit and Suthep had responsibility for ordering the Army on to the streets and to use live ammunition against their own people.

Until uncaring people like you and others like you who don't give a dam_n about the Army slaying civilians in Thailand, become less self centred and arrogant about these atrocities, this country will continue to be plagued by these low lifes who use the Army as a political prop.

I thought CRES were responsible.

The poor woman is so misguided she cannot see who was responsible for the whole disaster. The Abhisit government was far too soft in the crackdown, allowing a bunch of redshirt thugs to erect a fortress in downtown Bangkok, leaving the government absolutely no alternative to take. Accidents happen in any violent confrontation, and she has great reason to grieve, but it was obvious that the violence was instigated and maintained by the redshirt goons and inevitable that casualties would occur. Grief understood, lady, but you are blaming the wrong people.

You her not giving her enough credit. She is far more aware and principled that you think.

• Like 1

Er........... Her daughter, an unarmed nurse, was shot by the RTA.

The RTA were acting under rules of engagement issued by the Government at the time.

Almost any country in the world would require an enquiry and accountability.

She is spot on correct in her wishes and intentions.

• Like 1

He couldn't.

The RTA were acting under rules of engagement issued by the Government at the time.

The problem with this viewpoint is that almost every national leader would be the dock for similar 'crimes' at some time, including Mr T.

Edited by bigbamboo

He couldn't.

Why?

It's a reasonable and campassionate viewpoint.

He couldn't.

Why?

Looking for a reaction or playing to the crowd?

He couldn't.

Why?

Looking for a reaction or playing to the crowd?

Looking for a sensible answer as to why he couldn't explain his viewpoint, but maybe that's asking too much.

My dear fabby, with your line of reasoning we'll rehash the March to May 2010 fun yet again. Let's not do that. It's bad enough that the current Bangkok governor was of great help to the anti-government protesters in 2010. Even though 60++ grenades ripped the city, a few building were set ablaze and soldiers were struggling in gunbattle with unarmed protesters.

Of course those UDD leaders who are now Pheu Thai party list MPs are smiling, they just washed their hands of things saying "it's over, go home" and surrendered to the police while their fellow protesters were still in gunfights and grenade lobbing fun and dying as well.

Anyway, it seems that the blanket amnesty has finally reached the stage where we can say again "except for Abhisit/Suthep of course". Mind you even the Pheu Thai party member and Minister of Justice has come out calling a blanket amnesty the way to go. Lots of people with confusing / confused loyalties it would seem. Present company expressly excluded of course :-)

You are talking to lights on no one home. It is obvious he has not got a clue as to what happened in 2010

The poor woman is so misguided she cannot see who was responsible for the whole disaster. The Abhisit government was far too soft in the crackdown, allowing a bunch of redshirt thugs to erect a fortress in downtown Bangkok, leaving the government absolutely no alternative to take. Accidents happen in any violent confrontation, and she has great reason to grieve, but it was obvious that the violence was instigated and maintained by the redshirt goons and inevitable that casualties would occur. Grief understood, lady, but you are blaming the wrong peopl

Why am I not surprised that you want Thaksin to get off Scott free. Abhist and Suthep had the balls to agree with her original proposal which left them still charged with murder. It also did not absolve Thaksin of any thing.

Now she comes back and says she has changed her mind she wants Thaksin to go free to.

Gosh Gee I wonder what red shirt idiot changed her mind. How can people be so stupid as to think the red shirts were innocent and Thaksin had nothing to do with the whole thing. It simply boggles the mind.

As a matter of fact she can not be that stupid she originally came up with an intelligent offer.

Obviously some graduate of the red shirt school of Democracy goon brigade got to her and probably mentioned a few fires they had started and their sister organization of men in black. Reminded her of their ability to fire rockets at civilians going about there every day honest business. Maybe even offered to help her rejoin her daughter real soon.

Edited by hellodolly

I certainly wouldn't question her grief but of course that's the reason that her proposal is so one sided and biased. It's also understandable but these decisions should be taken by other people who are able to take a more balanced view unclouded by the emotions that she must obviously feel.

You're certainly right regarding accountability and an enquiry although a court case is also a possibility. All the reports I've seen regarding these deaths so far suggest that whilst the RTA were under rules of engagement issued by the government at the time the actions they took, which resulted in the deaths appear to have been outside of those rules. That being the case the responsibility of the PM and his government would have been to take action against those in the military who were involved. As the members of the government and the PM have changed in the intervening years the burden of taking measures against the military personnel involved now rests with the current PM and her government.

The question now is does the government risk upsetting the military?

• Like 2

I thought CRES were responsible.

The CRES was formed by the PM and chaired by Suthep. The head of the DSI Tarit was also a member as someone else has mentioned.