Canon DSLR Liveview

Just thought I'd share a recent discovery for anyone who uses a Canon DSLR and legacy lenses.

One thing I've always wanted in my Canon is a real time EVF live view. You know, when you can see the effects on exposure adjusting EV. It's available through the LCD but this ideally requires a tripod or arms like Popeye, neither of which I have. Anyway, I prefer Zeiss Contax C/Y lenses via an adaptor and having recently picked up a new lens and new adapter I proceeded to set it all up and inadvertently fired the shutter BEFORE programming the adaptor chip. This is strictly to be avoided according to the adaptor guidelines. Surprisingly the lens focal length and maximum aperture registered and is available in the EXIF data. Fine, no programming needed. Guidelines dismissed.

I then set about using the setup and amazingly as I changed apertures on the lens I could see a real time adjustment to the exposure in the EVF, and more so, the aperture adjustment is infinite between click stops.

This is awesome. I can know construct, via the EVF, my images exactly as I perceive the outcome and can set an infinite amount of "in between" click stops.

Yes, I can do it with my X-E1 as a given, but it has never been available with a Canon DSLR.

Just a bit of gear talk that some may find .useful.

Btw, anybody who has yet to shoot with these Zeiss C/Y lenses is missing a lot. Cheaper than Canon equivalents, dramatically sharper, better contrast and colour, and Bokeh to drool over. No AF though, but I always shoot manual anyway.

p.s. the lens I picked up is a Contax Zeiss C/Y 35-70mm macro zoom. £150 I paid. Read up about this lens. Even Contax declare it's sharper than their prime equivalents, and that's some statement. £150 !!!! And focusing down to 4".

http://reeray.smugmug.com/

Edited by fimgirl