Prescription Sunglasses In Bkk

fleetz

Coming to BKK soon and wonder if there is a optican that someone can recomend for prescription sunglasses? I am also after some normal prescription glasses.

Appreciate any suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks,

Fleetz

I use the Beautiful Optical chain of shops, they're all over the place. Most, if not all, Opticians here can supply normal and sunglasses prescriptions. Word of warning, get the eyetest done in your own country, and bring the presciption with you. Here they only test your eyesight, not the health of your eyes.

There are literally thousands of optical shops in Bangkok that you can use. I use Top Charoen chain for frames and lens making (have exam at hospital OPD), but even the independent shops in the shopping centers can be used.

If you want a proper eye exam you go to an ophthalmologist and every hospital has them and the price will probably be less than 600 baht. But that is not required to copy your prescription or test your vision and the shops should be able to do that just as well.

Now if you want to have the best you can visit Rutnin Eye Hospital on Soi Asoke. They are not really that high priced (visual field test is about 600 baht) and they have always been best eye clinic in Bangkok.

All of the above is good advice. I've worn perscription sunglasses made in Thailand through various opticians here for years and never had the slightest problem either getting them or with their quality. The cost is much lower than out in the real world as well, BUT do bring your perscription with you.

My experience with examinations here, even in the hospitals recommended above, is that they are very poor. They are generally loose and casual, anything but rigorous. I would simply never rely on on examination by a Thai doctor unless I had absolutely no choice.

All good advice thanks.

I have just been to my eye doctor here in Australia and got the latest prescription so I will be taking this with me and getting the sunglasses done from this rather than a local examination.

I have also heard of a Washingtom Optical located at the Amarin Plaza from another member which was recommended highly so I think I am drilling down to a good solution.

Thanks for all the input.

Fleetz

All of the above is good advice. I've worn perscription sunglasses made in Thailand through various opticians here for years and never had the slightest problem either getting them or with their quality. The cost is much lower than out in the real world as well, BUT do bring your perscription with you.

My experience with examinations here, even in the hospitals recommended above, is that they are very poor. They are generally loose and casual, anything but rigorous. I would simply never rely on on examination by a Thai doctor unless I had absolutely no choice.

Wow ... I thought at first OldHandLuke was making his first positive post about Thailand ... then :o

Another option that is less expensive but just as effective. I recently got a set of frames that came with polarizing (dark) lens attachment. It just magnetically attaches to the front of the frame on top of the prescription lenses and it merges the appearance such that it looks like sun glasses. That is, it is a perfect fit and can't tell that they clip on (no clips, just hidden magnets). Pops on and off easily (but not enough to be able to knock them off casually) and convenient.

Coming to BKK soon and wonder if there is a optican that someone can recomend for prescription sunglasses? I am also after some normal prescription glasses.

Appreciate any suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks,

Fleetz

Hi Fleetz

Just had my third pair from Yours Optical 444 Ground floor MBK center.

No problems, I have varifocals with plastic lenses and my uncorrected eyesight is pretty poor.

Orientals tend to be short sighted so the far east is the best place to get thin lenses as they have plenty of expertise in this area.

Perscription sunglasses should be no problem.

Good luck :o

TBWG :D

There are literally thousands of optical shops in Bangkok that you can use. cha I use Top Charoen in for frames and lens making (have exam at hospital OPD), but even the independent shops in the shopping centers can be used.

If you want a proper eye exam you go to an ophthalmologist and every hospital has them and the price will probably be less than 600 baht. But that is not required to copy your prescription or test your vision and the shops should be able to do that just as well.

Now if you want to have the best you can visit Rutnin Eye Hospital on Soi Asoke. They are not really that high priced (visual field test is about 600 baht) and they have always been best eye clinic in Bangkok.

I can recommend Top Charoen as well for most routine optical services. However be prepared to spend extra for good frames...I got some cheap ones from them and they fell apart within one year...(quite an embarrasment...just started a new job and in a meeting with senior managers and one of the temple thingies fell off...had to conclude with manually holding the lenses in place; difficult to hold a pen and to write under the circumstances...the managers were fascinated...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Perscription sunglasses could be a problem because the color may be brought to the lenses by some do it yourself methode or is made in certified factory.

I have one green pair from Hongkong know the lenses are grey.

there is also a problem with the hard coating: is it on the lenses and really what you paid for.

Maybe a good indication can be the time needed to produce the lenses.