Go from and Education Visa to a Retirement Visa

Greetings all,

after researching and getting contradictory answers I now place this issue on this forum and hope you helpfull people can possibly shed some light on this.

I am currently on an EDU visa and am considering changing to a RV ..... here in Phuket.

No I don't want to leave and comeback unless I have to...

Yes I am 50

Yes I can put THB 1 Mill into my Thai account within 3 business days and wait the 2 or 3,months (I have 2 and 3)

Hope to hear from those who might know,

Thanks in advance,,,

You don't change visas. You just change the reason for your extension of stay from education to retirement. You will need to have the money in the bank for 60 days when you do it. Also a letter from school stating you are no longer enrolled as of the date you apply for the new extension.

You only need 800K in the bank or proof of income that equals 65K baht or a combination of the two to reach the 800k baht number.

Edited by ubonjoe

I am faced with this decision next year, I figured its best to stay on edu visa, rather then bring in $27,000 and let in it sit in a no interest account. I think I will need to find a better way to get a retirement visa.

I am faced with this decision next year, I figured its best to stay on edu visa, rather then bring in $27,000 and let in it sit in a no interest account. I think I will need to find a better way to get a retirement visa.

What makes you think you would not get any interest. That changed many many years ago. You can get about 3.2% on some fixed term accounts (aka CD).

I am faced with this decision next year, I figured its best to stay on edu visa, rather then bring in $27,000 and let in it sit in a no interest account. I think I will need to find a better way to get a retirement visa.

What makes you think you would not get any interest. That changed many many years ago. You can get about 3.2% on some fixed term accounts (aka CD).

Yes, I found 2.1 % for 3 or 6 months somewhere,,,, or spend it then make sure u have 800K 2 months prior to the next yearly renew right?

Its now looking like all info is wrong! Despite a few legal companys telling me their FEES and saying I dont need leave LOS and come back...

my reseach is leaning towards the fact that one needs to get and O visa before applying for the RV!

It smells of you know what.... and one does not want trouble later on if so...

Any true comments would be appreciated all,

Thanks

Its now looking like all info is wrong! Despite a few legal companys telling me their FEES and saying I dont need leave LOS and come back...

my reseach is leaning towards the fact that one needs to get and O visa before applying for the RV!

Thanks

Post number 2 provided all the information you need.

If you disbelieve that information free advise is available from either of the two immigration offices in Phuket.

I would advise staying away from "legal" companies you can achieve your aim without their "help"

Its now looking like all info is wrong!  Despite a few legal companys telling me their FEES and saying I dont need leave LOS and come back...

It smells of you know what....  and one does not want trouble later on if so...

Thanks

There have been several reports on this forum of people changing from an extension based upon education to one for retirement.

If you make the mistake of asking to change visas then you will be told no because that is not possible.

The only way you will get a non-o visa is to make a trip to a nearby consulate or embassy.

I suggest you at least try to change the reason for your extension before doing anything else.

Thanks

There have been several reports on this forum of people changing from an extension based upon education to one for retirement.

If you make the mistake of asking to change visas then you will be told no because that is not possible.

OH I SEE, BY NOT BEING SURE WHAT i NEED GET THE WRONG THING, YES..

The only way you will get a non-o visa is to make a trip to a nearby consulate or embassy. SEEM THAT WAY, THANKS.

I suggest you at least try to change the reason for your extension before doing anything else.

WILL DO, BUT 2 SEPERATE SOURCES SAID I NEED CANCEL EDU VISA FIRST, SCARY AS WHT IF I WANT TO CHANGE EXTENTION THEN THEY SAY "OH" YOU DONT HAVE A VISA ANYMORE....

You go in with all the paperwork at the same time and submit it. You don't cancel your existing extension separately from applying for the new one,

At the moment you cannot do any thing unless you have the money in the bank for 60 days.