Corn Masa for Tamales etc at Kasem Warorot

BawBae

Shhhhh don't tell anyone!! Is it the real thing, made from nexamilized white dent corn?? or the yellow corn?? Does make a difference in flavor. And what's the price per kilo??

Please confirm before I make the long and aggravating trip into the city.

Just confirmed the answer to my questions by phone. Kasem's actually has a website with some products, but prices in $$.

I got their contact number and the lady told me that they do have the yellow masa dough and it is frozen and they have limited stock @ thb120/kilo.

Now waiting for a consumer's report.............

have not seen it yet, but in theory, you can make corn tortilla from it... masa harina is commonly used for flour tortillas... i am most anxious to try it for some REAL tamales! I have the corn husks and real mexican

chili powders... can't wait.

don't know where they are getting it from, but it might be from BKK... i asked John (owner of Salsa Kitchen) where he gets his from (masa) and he said a company out of BKK....at any rate, will stop by this

afternoon and pick some up...

Can one make tortillas with this? I am of the understanding you have to use masa harina flour....

If you want Masa haria flour, buy the masa that the Kasem store is selling, then dry and grind it. After that you can add water mix and make tortillas just the way you want.

Haven't tried Kasem's yet, but will next week if they still have it in stock.

IMO, the yellow corn masa is good for making tamales and taco shells, but the white is the best for traditional tortillas.

Good to hear that someone is finally making this simple Mexican peasant food here.

made tamales with this product tonight. Defrost first, put in mixer, add salt, warm water and some liquefied pork fat (lard substitute).

mixed to consistency (added a very small amount of regular white flour to stiffen it up), got out my corn husks which had sat in warm water for about an hour and went to work.

added cheese and chopped jalapenos for stuffing, as i just wanted to get a sense of tamale texture.

Steamed for about 45-1hr... still were not really firm, but jumped in as i was almost foaming at the mouth by now.

Heated up some enchilada sauce wife had made and frozen last week (with real dried chili peppers from USA)...

Poured over it and WOW... i mean, it was not EXACTLY what i was hoping for, but better than anything i had tried yet in CM.

anyways... a work in progress, but have a feeling that i can get what i want out of this product, including some great corn tortillas and

maybe i will even try and work out some columbian arepas! haven't had those in about 25-30 years!

Edited by zippydedodah

• 1 month later...

Finally got up the courage to brave the downtown traffic and picked up Kasim's masa flour. Brought it home, thawed some and saw that the consistency was too crumbly to form the balls to press tortillas so I added a bit of flour and it did stiffen up but still not the same as real masa harina.................still yummy!!

have not seen it yet, but in theory, you can make corn tortilla from it... masa harina is commonly used for flour tortillas... i am most anxious to try it for some REAL tamales! I have the corn husks and real mexican

chili powders... can't wait.

don't know where they are getting it from, but it might be from BKK... i asked John (owner of Salsa Kitchen) where he gets his from (masa) and he said a company out of BKK....at any rate, will stop by this

afternoon and pick some up...

Pm me with info on where you buy corn husks. See my post on tamales below.