mazda cx5 which one to buy ?

thaiscot

Mr Repus, the standard Diesel has a slightly lower power to weight ratio than the 2.5L petrol so the max acceleration of the petrol versions will be similar or better when the foot is down and the engine is close to max revs.

It's just a suggestion, but perhaps you are taking the 0 - 100 km/h time a little too seriously. For a car like the CX-5, mid range performance is as important as max acceleration. Most of the time, driving around with the engine at around 2,000 rpm, the Diesel has twice the torque and power available compared to the petrol. The diesel's weight and gearing are slightly higher but the petrol car would need to down shift a gear or two for similar acceleration. Down shifting and revving is fine in a sports car but in something like the CX-5 it can make the car feel gutless in comparison, especially for drivers accustomed to bigger engines, (rare in LOS). You will really only know by driving the two models.

The upshot is the 2.5L is a good alternative if:

- you don't mind using the transmission and some revs to accelerate.

- 230,000 baht purchase cost saving is preferred to ~0.8 baht/km extra fuel cost.

- AWD is not needed or wanted.

- Use with hot engine likely to be insufficient for DPF regen.

- aftermarket chip tuning not wanted.

Good luck with which ever model you choose.

Mr. Jitar.

Thanks for your input. Yes you are right that i might take the acceleration 0-100 too seriously. I actually want a smaller fun turbo car to chip and tune (VW Scirocco, Toyota GT86 w turbo kit, Volvo V40 etc), but realized it might not be the best choice given road conditions, floodings etc. I test drove the CX diesel and i really liked it and it had a nice overtaking acceleration and was fun to drive. I have yet to test drive the 2.5 as I'm on a job abroad this month and will test it when coming back. I had hope to get my self a car now when back again end of this month and enjoy it for the 2 weeks holiday i have then.

yes, 230K could be put on other fun toys.

No need AWD, it just adds dead weight and frictions.

I will mostly be driving short distances so the DPF might cause me problems.

YES...After market TUNING would be nice. wub.png

I hate the thought about to have to wait 3-5 month for the car.... The 2.5 is available for delivery right now. But it might be a boring car sad.png

Hi TransRemus,

Haven't tried both, but am pretty convinced that the Diesel would be the more powerful option. Prior to my Golf GTI I had the Ford Focus TDCI with a 2.0 Diesel rated at only 136hp. Compared to a petrol 2.0 it was flying, lots of power from 2,000-4,000 rpm, where you need it. Fantastic on little hills.

Yes, my GTI is faster, but the torque of the TDCI went uphill very well. The issue quite often is that with the automatic transmissions they do change gears very early up (to save fuel of course) but this puts the petrol versions quite often out of their most powerful range and you would really have to keep your foot down, as strong powers comes later in the rev band. The diesel has more accessible power, from lower range but nothing much top end.

Thing is if you look at the CX5 as a fun car option and don't need 4WD....not sure with the price you would not be better off with the Volvo V40. or if you want to have still fun but lower budget, the Skoda VRS, saw special price of the Motor Expo from Dec at 1.39m. I tested it and it wasn't in the league of my GTI. Good space and 4 doors too.....if you can live with brand!

I understand roads are not great here, but i have yet to have suspension problems on my cars after 20 years. Just look out for those potholes and i guess you will be fine. Flooding: well most cars won't make it whatever....not that much difference between a regular sedan and the CX5 there or?

Thanks for your input Frank,

Yea, i will probably go for the diesel as i like the idea to throw in a Racechip box and get another 25% power. My GF is now calling around to find the shortest delivery time.

I had a Skoda 12 years ago and it was not what i would call a quality car. Even at that time folks said it had equal quality as VW but that was bull. I was hit from the behind by another car and saw how totally corroded the sheet metal was inside, and that on a 18 month old car. No Skoda for me.

/T

Edited by TramsRepus

Can some friendly soul with better Thai/English than GF translate this for me, especially the freebies and the blue text at the bottom. They got the date totally wrong though but will change it tomorrow. It will be registered on me if anyone have any thoughts about that thumbsup.gif

13973662.jpg

Edited by TramsRepus

Free insurance. Film 3M. Free petrol 500 baht. Free emergency service for 5 years or 100000km. 5% discount on parts. 10% discount on labour. Free license plate and frame. Please do not blame me if translation incorrect.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Edited by tua2kee
  • Like 1

Fairly new engine.. Anyhow It's a proven concept, 0-100 is about a second quicker and 80-120 1.5 sec., you will definitely feel the difference. THB 12,000.00 should be the costs incl. shipping to Thailand, import duties and VAT.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Read the top gear review...it's describes the diesel as a "peach"

The diesel has had rave reviews in the UK.......if you have high mileage or will keep the car for a few years go for the diesel

See my other post......I have just ordered one

When will you get your? First i was promised delivery in April but today they said May bah.gif Not happysad.png

i decided after test driving both to go for the diesel as i drove the diesel first then found the perol very sluggish in comparison , ordered it in november when they told me it would be ready in feb but has since been told it wont be til march now

Oh, same for you then. I have heard that a small "fee" could buy you some queue time.... Dirty business

I'm very appreciative of Thai avarice...like the time there was a 30 minute cooking que at a BBQ buffet. When the other diners handed in their trays of raw meat and returned to their tables to wait, I slipped the chef a C-note and was chowing down in 5 minutes.

I would do the same for a car if it was a model I wanted and their was a long wait.

But back to the CX5...saw a grey one yesterday...UGLY...looked like a rolling ball of cement.

Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 1

Oh, same for you then. I have heard that a small "fee" could buy you some queue time.... Dirty business

Are you for real buy some queue time did you g/f who ordered the car tell you this.

For real? surly, are you? GF does not know much about cars. But I read about it on different sites. Even here on TV you can read about people having problems with sales people holding back the new Ford Ranger and insinuating that some extra cash would make magic..

Edited by TramsRepus

Are you for real buy some queue time did you g/f who ordered the car tell you this.

For real? surly, are you? GF does not know much about cars. But I read about it on different sites. Even here on TV you can read about people having problems with sales people holding back the new Ford Ranger and insinuating that some extra cash would make magic..

Ok go for the magic approach. All I see is money disappear into the salesman pocket.

Ok go for the magic approach. All I see is money disappear into the salesman pocket.

As i wrote previously, it a dirty business - For which honest people will suffer from.... But TiT were honesty is considered as a weakness.

Edited by TramsRepus

Read the top gear review...it's describes the diesel as a "peach"

The diesel has had rave reviews in the UK.......if you have high mileage or will keep the car for a few years go for the diesel

See my other post......I have just ordered one

When will you get your? First i was promised delivery in April but today they said May bah.gif Not happysad.png

I ordered just before Christmas and was quoted 3 months but reading the other posts I am starting to have doubts I have emailed the dealership but he has dodged the question.

As to price I have a BMW X3 in the Uk....I have just returned. To Leicester.....you have to pay for what you get

My BMW was expensive and I actually think the Mazda is better value

Keep in touch

Tony

You can buy a nearperfect pre owned X3, in England for 20K GBP.

Not the current model which is massively better than the previous model also I do not want someone else's specs

I paid about £40k in March 2013 net of a discount about £3500

The Mazda has most extras already included.......except GPS which was the purpose of my post

PS ACE......sorry to be a bit short with you on earlier posts I now understand your motives

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

No im not wasting your time, you have wasted your money imo.I was shocked at the price,plus its rated below a Suzuki at 500 K less by Auto Bild a respected Mag. Ive looked over one, OK nice, but the price is toooo hi for most folk

Price is objective it's only a touch more than the Honda CVR petrol.

I could have had a Honda in days any spec.......the fact that I may have to wait at least 3 months for delivery and the interest on this site points to a fair pricing

I plan to keep the car for maybe 10 years ......I can afford it and it is my choice.....I think Mazda would be silly commercially to sell any cheaper and the price is in fact a touch less than the UK list price although the detailed specs are different

If the price was out of step there would be no demand.....non of the reviews I have read and that's many say its expensive though the X3 is always referred to as expensive

I generally research my cars well ......I try to get the best financial deal then stick for years

Hope this helps you understand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

If it ticks all the boxes for You ,so be it. .For Me its O.K, exept the Looks. Its dated and rather bland side on imo. As OMG noted the Gray and the Blue does nothing to help, i recon Brill White would give it more presence..... Just i was stunned by the price,hence my posting..thumbsup.gif

If it ticks all the boxes for You ,so be it. .For Me its O.K, exept the Looks. Its dated and rather bland side on imo. As OMG noted the Gray and the Blue does nothing to help, i recon Brill White would give it more presence..... Just i was stunned by the price,hence my posting..thumbsup.gif

Also a bit shocked at the diesel CX5 price... same price as a full Import Hyundai Tucson 4x4 diesel..

as for the base model 2 WD.... same price as the Subaru XV which has 4x4 and the proven boxer engine.. now if they popped the 1.6 Turbo in it....

appear to be liked as there are now many on the roads of Thailand..

Maybe interesting to see what the Nissan offer in the new 2014 Hi Cross/X-Trail

In other markets Mitsubishi ASX, [the new 2014 model has many options and even cheaper than before] will it every come here, or are they falling very far behind ?

I think I agree about the looks as at now.......but in 10 years time....??

I have faith