Why are Western artists/bands/performers skipping Thailand nowadays...

90dayz

Yes, but Thailand is quite developed in comparison to Indonesia or Philippines. My question isn't why (a majority of) acts don't come here, it's why they don't come here anymore. Japan was never a Western colony (save for a few concessions) nor Westernized (in mentality), yet has performers touring there all the time. Possibly a lack of market here? Rihanna recently visited Phuket to see ping pong shows, but not to hold a concert!

Edited by 90dayz

No offense, but I do not think any of the destinations mentioned are exactly top priority when it comes to global stars booking venues for gigs. Maybe Singapore being the exception there. Are big international pop groups/bands really doing more concerts in Indonesia and Philippines than Thailand though? That would be a little bit of a surprise.

Yes, but Thailand is quite developed in comparison to Indonesia or Philippines. My question isn't why (a majority of) acts don't come here, it's why they don't come here anymore. Japan was never a Western colony (save for a few concessions) nor Westernized (in mentality), yet has performers touring there all the time. Possibly a lack of market here? Rihanna recently visited Phuket to see ping pong shows, but not to hold a concert!

I think if it was a toss up between,watching Rhianna or a ping pong show,i'd choose the ping pong show,that is of course unless it was Rhianna doing the ping pong show.

• Like 1

Lack of interest by local population. Thai singers and bands are just so much more superior to all and any foreign crap.

I went to the Lady GaGa concert last year; the stadium wasn't even half full and she's a world superstar. What was even worse, she had to delay the start of her concert for approx 1 hour, because some top brass politician or lowly member of the 'family' was late in arriving. She (GaGa) made some very sarcastic comments about it when she finally was allowed to start her show. She won't be back in a hurry and I'm sure word has gotten around.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I certainly would not go and see "Lady" GaGa. And usually it is the stars that make the crowds wait.

Lack of interest by local population. Thai singers and bands are just so much more superior to all and any foreign crap.

I went to the Lady GaGa concert last year; the stadium wasn't even half full and she's a world superstar. What was even worse, she had to delay the start of her concert for approx 1 hour, because some top brass politician or lowly member of the 'family' was late in arriving. She (GaGa) made some very sarcastic comments about it when she finally was allowed to start her show. She won't be back in a hurry and I'm sure word has gotten around.

I certainly would not go and see "Lady" GaGa. And usually it is the stars that make the crowds wait.

Well done! The OP's question answered

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I wasn't answering the OP, I was obviously replying to you.

Seriously, Leonard Cohen was supposed to play here in Cambodia. Tickets were USD 600.00 or something like that, as you can imagine there were few takers and he never did come. I suspect it is the same for Thailand: few potential customers meaning extremely high ticket prices.

• Like 2

I wasn't answering the OP, I was obviously replying to you.

Seriously, Leonard Cohen was supposed to play here in Cambodia. Tickets were USD 600.00 or something like that, as you can imagine there were few takers and he never did come. I suspect it is the same for Thailand: few potential customers meaning extremely high ticket prices.

Leonard Cohen! Is he still performing? He must be 80 if he's a day - just googled him (79) - Wow! Respect!

Edit: not that I'd want to go see him - his songs make me want to top m'self - lol

Edited by Commander Tamson

I was there too. Stadium seemed only 1/4 full. I'm not a big GaGa fan, but I thought her show would be a Spectacle - was very disappointed.

Quite into Leonard Cohen when the mood takes me, but from the original albums. Watched a youtube vid of him singing Hallelujah at a recent concert and his voice has completely gone - not surprising I suppose for an 80 year old!

• Like 1

This is part of the reason

I have a friend that organises such things around the world. The main reason Thailand is skipped is because the ticket prices have to be too high and only big stars in Bangkok can demand enough (and they are usually loss makers that are made up in Malaysia etc) - provincial cities just can not cover the cost (and expected profit). I also know people that do concerts around the world and the people organising concerts here want to pay absolute peanuts - and get affronted when they are refused or asked to increase the pay by the agents/managers. One DJ I know that plays at top clubs all over the world, was offered 5,000 baht a night plus plane ticket and basic accommodation (standard hotel room) - just not credible, especially when they will then sell tickets upwards of 1,000 baht to venue of thousands. Greed.

and this is a bigger reason.

Another is that there are really only 2 big enough promoters here. BEC-TERO is one. They have a bit of a reputation.

Then there is also the issue of the local organizers and suppliers (light, sound, projection). These guys have a very hard time getting along with and working with western customers. Don't ask how I know...

Edited by EvilDrSomkid
  • Like 1

I have a friend that organises such things around the world. The main reason Thailand is skipped is because the ticket prices have to be too high and only big stars in Bangkok can demand enough (and they are usually loss makers that are made up in Malaysia etc) - provincial cities just can not cover the cost (and expected profit). I also know people that do concerts around the world and the people organising concerts here want to pay absolute peanuts - and get affronted when they are refused or asked to increase the pay by the agents/managers. One DJ I know that plays at top clubs all over the world, was offered 5,000 baht a night plus plane ticket and basic accommodation (standard hotel room) - just not credible, especially when they will then sell tickets upwards of 1,000 baht to venue of thousands. Greed. 

The Lady GaGa tickets were 7,000 baht each, for right in front of the stage (standing only)

Why?

Small money for playing.

Your work has no doubt been copied and sold on the street corners since you released your first song, all profits going to the Thais without a satang to you.

Your work will no doubt be copied and sold on the street corners until you release your last song, all profits going to the Thais without a satang to you.

Your genuine merchandise will never sell here because it is available in the market for 100b, all profits going to the Thais without a satang to you.

So again, why?

Edited by Jose T

Why?

Small money for playing.

Your work has no doubt been copied and sold on the street corners since you released your first song, all profits going to the Thais without a satang to you.

Your work will no doubt be copied and sold on the street corners until you release your last song, all profits going to the Thais without a satang to you.

Your genuine merchandise will never sell here because it is available in the market for 100b, all profits going to the Thais without a satang to you.

So again, why?

You're right of course, but the same can be gotten anywhere using any of the torrent sites. Artists make their money mainly from their concerts. And I think Wolf in the post above has the answer to the OP's question

I don't know how true it is... But read that tour locations will normally be determined by record sales.

So as most in Thailand tend to buy the 100 thb cd on the road (or free torrents), rather than full price cd in stores, this equals very low record sales

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I take it all back... Thailand is no 1 for concerts for international super stars...

Engelbert Humperdinck Live in Concert - Monday December 2, At Bangkok Convention Center, Central Plaza Ladprao

Be there and be square ...

Edited by CWMcMurray
  • Like 2

I don't know how true it is... But read that tour locations will normally be determined by record sales.

So as most in Thailand tend to buy the 100 thb cd on the road (or free torrents), rather than full price cd in stores, this equals very low record sales

The times they are a'changin'! The charts/record sale figures etc are no longer based on CD sales - most punters are now downloading songs and albums from the likes of iTunes - means you don't need to buy the whole album too, although it gets cheaper by the dozen, so to speak. But that too, as you suggest, can be monitored regionally.

PS must be 7 or 8 years, maybe more, since I last bought a CD

I take it all back... Thailand is no 1 for concerts for international super stars...Engelbert Humperdinck Live in Concert - Monday December 2, At Bangkok Convention Center, Central Plaza LadpraoBe there and be square ...Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Wow! Another octogenarian

• 2 weeks later...

The simple answer is that there isn't enough demand. I doubt many people can afford tickets for these over-priced gigs even if they wanted to go. Some of the ticket prices I've seen are a couple of weeks pay for an average Thai. Western music just isn't very popular here.

Cd on the road (copy) are 20 baht not 100. Regular price on new Cd 120-149 baht. But if you wait a while they are discounted to 35 baht or 3 for 100. Yet still people buy copied crap undermining the very music they claim to support. Pirates are criminals who are stealing from artists.

Ticket prices are too high here because western acts are used to being overpaid, you can get any Thai act here for 100-400k, western acts want silly amounts not sustainable here.

Edited by sms747