Travelling without passport

pauladkinsau

Hello,

I have to hand my passport in to the Chinese embassy to get a special visa. I suspect they will hang on to it for a few days, because it's not a regular visa that i need. I don't want to sit in BKK waiting for them to release my passport. Can I travel back to Phuket without a passport?

I think you should be able to.

As you are aware having access to your passport is a requirement in Thailand, but I would have thought providing you can produce copies of the relevant pages in your passport confirming your identity and legal status in Thailand, coupled with a receipt for your passport from the Chinese authorities, I wouldn't envisage a problem.

You only need photo ID for an internal flight, maybe you could encounter a problem booking a room in Phuket, if that's what you intend doing.

• Like 1

Thanks Old Git. I have a copy of the relevant pages and my driving licence, and will book hotel in BKK before I go to embassy.

Make a copy of your arrival card as well. Officially this card is required on checkin, together with your passport.

Thanks all.

Dumb question - can someone tell me where in BKK is the Chinese embassy (especially the Visa section)? Their website does not display an address, and their phone number won't answer.

And the name of a good, low-cost hotel nearby?

Thanks,

Paul

China Embassy

57 Ratchadapisek Rd, Dindang, Bkk 10310

Tel: 245 7030-45