Pentax K30 lenses

After what I (mistakenly) considered sufficient research, I purchased a Pentax K30 camera. I am a total novice, and this is my first digital SLR camera. I have since attended a couple of photography workshops for novices. Now I wish to purchase additional lenses for the camera, and I find that Pentax is extremely poorly supported in Asia.

My question - should I spend the money on accessories for the Pentax, or would I be better off in the long to purchase a Nikon or Canon which seem to be better supported in Asia?

Is there a reputable Pentax retailer in SE Asia?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

After what I (mistakenly) considered sufficient research, I purchased a Pentax K30 camera. I am a total novice, and this is my first digital SLR camera. I have since attended a couple of photography workshops for novices. Now I wish to purchase additional lenses for the camera, and I find that Pentax is extremely poorly supported in Asia.

My question - should I spend the money on accessories for the Pentax, or would I be better off in the long to purchase a Nikon or Canon which seem to be better supported in Asia?

Is there a reputable Pentax retailer in SE Asia?

Excellent choice of camera .... very good image quality and weather sealing.

As you'll know - just because you have a Pentax body does not mean you need to stick to Pentax lenses. You're right that shops will have more Cannon/Nikon mount lenses in stock - but they can order Pentax fit of the same lenses.

Personnally I think you made a good choice for the body and now need to make careful investment in a few quality lenses and a decent flash.

If you only want one good lens for everything look at the new Sigma 18-35 f1.8 which is for APS-C cameras like yours and comes in a Pentax version.

if you want to go for prime (non zoom) lenses which are smaller and often have better image quality then consider your main use ....

Portraits/general - a 50mm or so - or a longer lens if sport/nature is your main use. If you choose with care you only need one or two additional lenses.

And for flash - get some radio triggers and any decent flash and use it 'off-camera" .... it takes a bit of trial and arror but the results for portrait work are much better than using the cameras own flash or an auto flash gun stuck on top in the hot shoe.

A cheap folding reflector is also handy for portriats.

Finally you need a decent camera bag and you're done.

Thought, practice, creativity are much more important than loads of extra kit anyway.

Edited by Familyonthemove
  • Like 1

Thank you for the advice. The gentleman giving the workshop strongly suggested an 18 - 270 mm Sigma or Pentax lens. This is what I have been looking for with no luck so far. He also recommends a Manfrotto 190 CX Pro tripod. This item is easy to find.

Zoomcamera have some Pentax glass . . .

http://www.zoomcamera.net/Lens/%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AA%E0%B9%8C-Pantax

To be quite frank, if you're based in Thailand I would sell that K-30 and get a Nikon D7100 or similar from Canon. Pentax stuff is too rare here. To make the Pentax DSLR's really shine you need the FA and DA Limited prime lenses.

Zoomcamera have some Pentax glass . . . 

http://www.zoomcamera.net/Lens/%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%AA%E0%B9%8C-Pantax

To be quite frank, if you're based in Thailand I would sell that K-30 and get a Nikon D7100 or similar from Canon. Pentax stuff is too rare here. To make the Pentax DSLR's really shine you need the FA and DA Limited prime lenses.

Thanks. I am based in Thailand and Indonesia, and you are totally correct that Pentax is rare. I will have a look around Singapore next week, and if there is no support, I will see what the K30 is worth in a trade in. Nikon D1700 you say? I will check that out. Thanks

It's a shame because many people want Pentax due to technical greatness but Pentax have very poor marketing and distribution. Hopefully this will change under Ricoh who recently bought Pentax from Hoya. Ironically, Pentax lenses are made in Vietnam and the DLSR bodies in Cebu, Philippines.

Look at the Nikon D5200 and new D5300 too.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Ratings

By the way, that 18 - 270mm is too wide a zoom range to get decent photos in my opinion. For a general purpose zoom lens look at the Tamron 17 - 50mm f/2.8. It's not expensive and it's very sharp. You'll need the VC version because Nikon don't have in-body stabilization.

I would recommend to not only look at the zoom range but also at the minimum F-stop. IF you buy a crazy long zoomlens like that Sigma, you probably end up at F4 or higher.

Part of why you shoot with a DSLR is that you can create pictures with a shallow depth of field. By using those high F-stop lenses you will miss out most of that part and find yourself in trouble when there is less light. Nightshots at F4 don't work very well....

It seems the workshops you did are aimed at very general amateur photography. It seems kind of handy to have everything in one lens but you will be much better of with some better lenses if you want to make it more than a snapshot camera.

Also remember that longer zoomlenses usually also mean, longer physical lenses. This makes it harder to make steady shot at low exposure times. So it always is a compromise between quality, budget and your intended use.

• Like 1