Phuket expat Canadian arrested for illegally importing corals

webfact

Phuket expat Canadian arrested for illegally importing corals
Phuket Gazette

ca.jpg
Phuket expat and boat captain Ted Blenkers, 54, from Canada, points to the corals he was caught smuggling into the country. Photo: Thawit Bilabdullar

PHUKET: -- A Canadian man was arrested yesterday after being caught bringing coral into the country which he claimed was to be used in a private aquarium at his home in Phuket Town.

ca1.jpg

Phuket expat Ted Blenkers, 54, was arrested after a person reported seeing him moving coral from a boat at Ao Por Marina (map here) to a van with Bangkok license plates.

“The person reported seeing the coral being placed into the van, which was driven from the pier at about 3:45pm,” Thalang Police Inspector Sarayuth Meeboon told the Phuket Gazette.

Officers quickly set up a roadblock near the Heroines Monument (map here) and minutes later Mr Blenkers arrived and was stopped.

“We searched his van and found 10 different pieces of coral,” Lt Col Sarayuth said.

“Mr Blenkers said he was a boat captain who had just returned from Indonesia. He had moored the boat at Ao Por Marina and was on his way home,” said Lt Col Sarayuth.

“He explained that he took the corals from Indonesia to decorate the fish tank at his home in Phuket Town,” he added.

Mr Blenkers was charged with importing coral without a permit and relocating plant or animal remains without a proper license, Col Sarayuth confirmed.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Phuket-expat-Canadian-arrested-for-illegally-importing-corals-22741.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-08

Canadian skipper arrested for smuggling coral in Phuket

Eakkapop Thongtub

tb.jpg
Ted Blenkers after his arrest.

PHUKET: -- Acting on a tip-off from “a good citizen”, police yesterday (November 7) arrested a 59-year-old Canadian for smuggling coral into Thailand.

Following the tip-off, police stopped a Toyota Avanza being driven by Ted Blenkers, 59, of Vancouver, near the Heroines Monument. In the car they found pieces of coral and a large clamshell, which they seized.

Blenkers, who said he worked as a ship’s captain, said he had brought the coral from Indonesia to decorate an aquarium in his home.

He was charged with bringing coral into the kingdom without a customs permit, and transporting them without a permit and without being able to show an invoice.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/canadian-skipper-arrested-for-smuggling-coral-42760.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-11-08

With conservation crime and the trade in endangered species, the chain of supply is often long and complex.

Some people at the bottom are simply so poor (and uneducated) that the chance of making a little extra money is too tempting to avoid.

Further up the chain those who really make money out of it know exactly about the natural history of the flora and fauna they are dealing in and the effect it can have on the environment.

This is not a "victimless" crime - In the case of coral, quite apart from anything else it is absolutely fundamental to the Thai tourist industry. Destroying coral is taking the bread out of the mouths of Thai people. Those who do are stealing a resource from the Thai people.

If this particular person is found guilty, i hope the penalty will reflect the seriousness of his crime and the disgust of the Thai people.

I don't know the fines for importing, but if it were found he destroyed coral in Thai waters, it's 40,000B fine, or 5 years in jail, or both. A speed boat captain anchoring on coral in Ranong National Park learned that the hard way recently.

Export maybe

But import !

Bit harsh i think

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Ah, so it's not ok to destroy Thai reefs but it is ok to destroy the Indonesian reefs. Moot point really, since the corals very likely came from Thailand anyway.

• Like 2

Out of curiosity, is it illegal to collect bits of totally dead coral that you find on the beach? I remember seeing that they arrested a Thai guy selling bracelets or something with tiny bits of them. I had thought about bringing a few pieces home once from a local beach for decoration but am scared it would be asking for trouble....

With conservation crime and the trade in endangered species, the chain of supply is often long and complex.

Some people at the bottom are simply so poor (and uneducated) that the chance of making a little extra money is too tempting to avoid.

Further up the chain those who really make money out of it know exactly about the natural history of the flora and fauna they are dealing in and the effect it can have on the environment.

This is not a "victimless" crime - In the case of coral, quite apart from anything else it is absolutely fundamental to the Thai tourist industry. Destroying coral is taking the bread out of the mouths of Thai people. Those who do are stealing a resource from the Thai people.

If this particular person is found guilty, i hope the penalty will reflect the seriousness of his crime and the disgust of the Thai people.

'' i hope the penalty will reflect the seriousness of his crime and the disgust of the Thai people''

So you wish for him a fine of 1,000 bahts...

And regarding the disgust of the Thai people, I see very little caring for the environment....

But taking live corals is certainly not a good thing in any oceans...