Thailand Works To Restore Tourism

george

Thailand works to restore tourism

BANGKOK -- The Tourism Authority of Thailand has started a public relations campaign in China and Australia to attract tourists lost after an outbreak of bird flu.

The Bangkok Post said TAT Governor Juthamas Siriwan approved a series of television commercials in China to promote Thailand tourism after the number of Chinese visiting Thailand dropped 60 percent, as compared with the first three weeks of February 2003.

In addition, TAT hired the Dragon International Media Consulting Co. to produce a series of television documentaries targeted for younger travelers about Thailand to be broadcast in China.

Siriwan also led a delegation of tourism experts during a recent Australian visit.

The Post said there was a 22 percent drop in tourists from Hong Kong during the first three weeks of February and a drop of 8 percent in the number of tourists visiting Thailand from Japan

--UPI/Agencies 2004-02-26

So the TAT is targeting the young Chinese to come and enjoy a Thailand where the stated objective of the government is to control the possibilities for Thai youth to be corrupted. Even talk about a curfew.

How many young Chinese will be told that they can only visit Floating Market and Rose Garden - night-life will be forbidden ?

What can't the chinese get in China that is cheaper and better in China.

If they want women, it is cheaper there and the girls are prettier with a wider selection, food is cheaper and in abundant. Qualityof Pirated goods in China are more superior.

:o Having seen some western press reports, it's hardly surprising the TAT are targeting China, Europe has grown wise to the corruption and rip-offs here. Newspapers are full of stories ill-treatment of animals, the sex trade, Toxin's ineptness at controlling the country etc. After the Chinese who's left to come here? Many foreigners are being forced out but ludicrous labour laws. Perhaps the country will be renamed Toxinland. It'll get as many laughs as its competitors - Disneyland, but certainly not as many visitors!

Suzy, TAT were targeting Scandinavians with a new campaign only last week.

And do you think for a second that the vast majority of European tourists to Thailand really care about the sex trade and the treatment of animals unless they see it with their own eyes. Sorry, I don't think so. The number of tourists from Europe is rising, if anything.

About the labour laws though, you have a point in some of them being over the top, but only to a certain extent.

Thailand is a very liveable place, which more and more people are discovering. Since there are millions of better-educated foreigners who actually could consider living here, at least part of the year, they do have to watch out and try to give the new generation of locally educated Thais a chance as well.

Never forget, they vote. You and I don't.

Many tourists do see and know what is going on here. It's not necessarily first hand, but UK media gives plenty of prime time TV, photos and reports on conditions here. Be it the animals, the PM, the sex trade, the police, tourist destinations or whatever. And people take notice, certainly judging from some of the e-mails I get from home.

I agree, Thailand is a very liveable place, but it's becoming more and more difficult for foreigners to stay here legitimately, even the rich ones. Have you tried renewing your work permit lately? I went yesterday and the additional bureaucratic bullshit being forced down our throats certainly makes me think twice. I have several friends who have already thrown in the towel, not because they were cheapskates but because of the rapidly escalating xenophobia foisted on foreigners by Toxin. Yes, the Thais may have voted for him, but the vast majority of the population know or care nothing for politics or foreigners, apart from the latter being a useful monetary source.