Need help to choose a fun car

TramsRepus

just for what it is worth...probably not much. tongue.png

Been to Paragon the other day and thought I say "Hello" to the DAD showroom girl....

Asked if they still have the Citroen DS3 with manual gear and turbo....Answer:"nope", only Auto and non-turbo.

Asked how Skoda is doing....they have the new Octavia Combi out with Diesel engine. 1.69 (I think it was) and she said very soon the new Superb is coming.

I asked about any news about a new YETI with Diesel and 4WD....she said possibly by end of the year...but not sure. if this would come in at around 1.6-1.8m I think would be nice.

I finished asking about the Fabia vRS....she said now only 4-5 left and priced at 1.39m with 5 years warranty and free service. Not too bad a deal. Pretty sure it is at least 1-2 year old stock though.....

wai2.gif

Sorry to say but in which way is a Skode or a Citroen a ''fun'' car to drive with, its just ridicilous prices for those kind of cars.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Skoda VRS is a VW Polo GTI and Audi A1, with a different badge; it goes pretty well, very good value for 1.4m IMHO.

Level of finishing in a Skoda is almost Audi quality, you can recognise a lot of the same switches and knobs.

Main cost is the depreciation when coming to sell a Skoda, they seem to depreciate pretty chronically, the Octavia for instance (Golf/A4/MQB platform from memory) is a huge car for the size, and goes pretty well.

Well, price aside....and again there isn't really anything locally made at decent prices which fits the category of fun car or hot hatch kinda.

So, the mentioned DS3 with the 155 turbo engine of the Mini Cooper S slightly detuned surely fits a fun car designation. They had it in their line up 2 years back.

The Skoda Fabia vRs has 180 hp plus as mentioned by the previous poster with MTM tune goes to 200-210 ps. With a price just slightly above a top model Civic I would also say it is a great fun car. Under 7 secs from 0-100 km/h. The design is however a bit of a let down. Nice alloys, but the shape is just not very sporty, chic or elegant whichever way u look at it. The interior is kinda basic, still manual knobs for air con speed, etc....but I like that....wish some cars have less buttons, wheels, etc....just what u need. Seats are really nice and having test driven it I can confirm that it goes nearly as good as a GOLF GTI.

There you have my reasons for updating in this thread.....;)

just for what it is worth...probably not much. tongue.png

Been to Paragon the other day and thought I say "Hello" to the DAD showroom girl....

Asked if they still have the Citroen DS3 with manual gear and turbo....Answer:"nope", only Auto and non-turbo.

Asked how Skoda is doing....they have the new Octavia Combi out with Diesel engine. 1.69 (I think it was) and she said very soon the new Superb is coming.

I asked about any news about a new YETI with Diesel and 4WD....she said possibly by end of the year...but not sure. if this would come in at around 1.6-1.8m I think would be nice.

I finished asking about the Fabia vRS....she said now only 4-5 left and priced at 1.39m with 5 years warranty and free service. Not too bad a deal. Pretty sure it is at least 1-2 year old stock though.....

wai2.gif

Sorry to say but in which way is a Skode or a Citroen a ''fun'' car to drive with, its just ridicilous prices for those kind of cars.

Frank will you take a look at the new Mini? personally I think the R53 culminating in the GP was the best of the new Minis, each new generation is a bit like the 240Z; it gets a little bit bigger, a little more powerful, and a little further away from the concept of the original (pocket rocket with a gokart feel to drive, and a little raw). The R56 and the newer GP from what I understand it is difficult to turn all the driver aids off unlike the original GP/JCWs. The F56thanks to sharing a parts bin with BMW has a bit of an awkward looking nose that a silicon implant nosed woman would love, but seems a bit on the big side for a Mini.Reviews coming back say is drives pretty well though - I suspect once the new 1 series comes out, that Thailand will be building the hatches here locally soon enough. Bet the price stays the same though!

I've decided to get a 2nd bigger car, already ordered, of the grandpa variety, and will keep the hot hatch for weekends and giggles....still enjoy the hot hatch for blatting around.

Supposedly VW will come into the market themselves leaving Thai Yarnyon as a dealer (rather than distributor which is why their inventory is running so low now) which might mean access to a few new toys in future.

Edited by steveromagnino

Frank will you take a look at the new Mini? personally I think the R53 culminating in the GP was the best of the new Minis, each new generation is a bit like the 240Z; it gets a little bit bigger, a little more powerful, and a little further away from the concept of the original (pocket rocket with a gokart feel to drive, and a little raw). The R56 and the newer GP from what I understand it is difficult to turn all the driver aids off unlike the original GP/JCWs. The F56thanks to sharing a parts bin with BMW has a bit of an awkward looking nose that a silicon implant nosed woman would love, but seems a bit on the big side for a Mini.Reviews coming back say is drives pretty well though - I suspect once the new 1 series comes out, that Thailand will be building the hatches here locally soon enough. Bet the price stays the same though!

I've decided to get a 2nd bigger car, already ordered, of the grandpa variety, and will keep the hot hatch for weekends and giggles....still enjoy the hot hatch for blatting around.

Supposedly VW will come into the market themselves leaving Thai Yarnyon as a dealer (rather than distributor which is why their inventory is running so low now) which might mean access to a few new toys in future.

Haven't driven a new Mini, only my GP (someone just offered me 1.5m for it....but I really have a hard time letting it go, so I won't!). This is MY weekend toy.

Is this is a fact that VW will come into the market byself? It is really time, because Thai Yarnyon are rather useless I think....just see their website!

I heard it from a bloke at the pub so it must be true FrankP!

The evidence (inability of Thai Yarnyon to do anything on line, unable to import the golf VII, unable to do this and that) would strongly point to VW taking over and entering the market as the distributor in the near future, I am told that this was on the cards for 2 years already.

• 1 year later...

So, finally got my hands on a used DS3 THP manual gear with the detuned Cooper S engine. Took it from Bangkok to Phuket yesterday (9:30 with 4 stops...:)...).

Must say a nice drive, good power, still reasonably comfy with 3 rather big guys in it. Good seats. Handling is also nice. Clutch and gear stick are very easy to use, quite forgiving, albeit a bit loose feeling. Steering is good but sure not as direct as the Mini.

A very good compromise on local roads with a good amount of fun factor thrown in.

Rare to find....but recommended if someone looking for a manual gear with a bit of fun in it.

lovely!

Still think about getting another hot hatch...been trying to persuade the GF she needs to embrace a small car rather than a big people moving beast.

Definitely....was in Europe for holidays and thought to strike gold when SIXT upgraded me from a regular C-Class to a ML 350 CDI....didn't really enjoy it. Too bulky, parking in tight car parkings a hussle and although powerful it was nowhere near 'fun'.....comfy yes! Decided than....those cars are not for me....Did drive a VW Tiguan last time in Europe and than was much more to my liking....very similar feeling to the Golf (no surprise) but with 4WD and a good 170ps Diesel 2.0 engine a nice drive and in my opinion the perfect car for Thailand/Phuket.