Thai PM pleads for rallies to end after amnesty defeated

webfact

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Tuesday asked that the government be given a chance to continue its work, saying there are many issues that require its attention.

'the government .....continue its work'?!?!

like continuing to pursue its main objective: Bring T home a hero, put him in the PM's chair and, to taste it up a bit, shovel 46 billion baht in his lap.

The government's two second priorities for 'work' is: continue to pay rice farmers more than the market price, and put Thais in crippling debt for 60 years in order to build a N/S rail line to facilitate Chinese commerce.

Here's what the government is asleep at the wheel about: rights for hill tribers, libraries, parks, education reform, alternative energy, fairness for farang, ....the list goes on.

• Like 1

So it seems that there are a lot of TV members who believe in democracy by public protest, not by electoral process. Yes it's useful as an occasional tool but as an ongoing political model it is the road to hell.

No I'm not a Thaksin apologist, but Thailand (and particularly Bangkok) is staring into the abyss if this doesn't now settle back into a proper parliamentary format.

You say that with perhaps an assumption of this being a 'government of the people'?

I'm guessing but I suspect there are more people who would say that the government is one they supported at the election than there are people who would say that they supported an alternative at the election. If they were hoodwinked and more people now believe that an alternative government would be better (and I am not convinced that applies despite a broad hostility to the Amnesty Bill), then let them wait to throw out that government at the next election.

Who shouts longest and loudest on a specific issue does not equate to a public mandate for the government to be overthrown. The country will never grow up democratically if it continues with a system of bawl and brawl politics.

So it seems that there are a lot of TV members who believe in democracy by public protest, not by electoral process. Yes it's useful as an occasional tool but as an ongoing political model it is the road to hell.

No I'm not a Thaksin apologist, but Thailand (and particularly Bangkok) is staring into the abyss if this doesn't now settle back into a proper parliamentary format.

You say that with perhaps an assumption of this being a 'government of the people'?

I'm guessing but I suspect there are more people who would say that the government is one they supported at the election than there are people who would say that they supported an alternative at the election. If they were hoodwinked and more people now believe that an alternative government would be better (and I am not convinced that applies despite a broad hostility to the Amnesty Bill), then let them wait to throw out that government at the next election.

Who shouts longest and loudest on a specific issue does not equate to a public mandate for the government to be overthrown. The country will never grow up democratically if it continues with a system of bawl and brawl politics.

Nor will it advance if majority governments are allowed to act corruptly without repercussions. 5 year political bans are worthless, 5 years in a cell would be a much more powerful incentive.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra on Tuesday asked that the government be given a chance to continue its work, saying there are many issues that require its attention.

'the government .....continue its work'?!?!

like continuing to pursue its main objective: Bring T home a hero, put him in the PM's chair and, to taste it up a bit, shovel 46 billion baht in his lap.

The government's two second priorities for 'work' is: continue to pay rice farmers more than the market price, and put Thais in crippling debt for 60 years in order to build a N/S rail line to facilitate Chinese commerce.

Here's what the government is asleep at the wheel about: rights for hill tribers, libraries, parks, education reform, alternative energy, fairness for farang, ....the list goes on.

Have you ever discussed Hill Tribe people with a Thai. You know they have rather odd habits that Thai people find very offensive? No I won't discuss it you can look it up. You think Thai people are concerned about fairness for Farang? This is Thailand you are writing about.