Outside power points

mayview

Is it safe or stupid to place power points in water -proof cabinets (IP65) mounted to the external wall of a house? This I'm thinking would be taken off as a spur from a line with adequate cable sizing. The run is approx 4 meters and the expected use would be for small powered item. (Fish tank filter pump). Behind the line is a safety cut-off on that circuit specifically and it would be grounded back to the service unit.

Local electrician said unsafe but I don't understand why?

We have them for our pump and for an ouside power point for a fan and computer. Get one that the lid opens vertically and shades the box. My smart electrician also wrapped the faceplate of the sockets in tight plastic so the prongs of the plug pierce it to go into the socket. Very smart as the holes seem to close up slightly when the plug is removed and will surely help in keeping dust an maybe insects out a bit.

Local electrician said unsafe but I don't understand why?

I think you saying you would put an outside plug and socket inside a box, and not letting it rest on the grass, confused him.

With its own leakage trip and earthed socket, safe. Suggest find a better electrician, if possible.

Edit...to add... if the outside socket was connect to a fairly large fixed pump I would probably add a local earth spike, just in case there is a fault at the same time the trip fails to operate and I touch it , sod's law.

Edited by ThaidDown

IP65 is probably over the top unless it's actually out in the rain or likely to get hosed, one of the simple weatherproof boxes with a door will do the trick, cut a slot in the bottom to let the appliance lead out and you're good to go.

Our outdoor points are mostly under a 1.2m overhanging eave, conventional outlets, never get damp.

Obviously all outdoor outlets must be protected by earth leakage devices (RCD or RCBO).

IP65 is probably over the top unless it's actually out in the rain or likely to get hosed, one of the simple weatherproof boxes with a door will do the trick, cut a slot in the bottom to let the appliance lead out and you're good to go.

Our outdoor points are mostly under a 1.2m overhanging eave, conventional outlets, never get damp.

Obviously all outdoor outlets must be protected by earth leakage devices (RCD or RCBO).

Thank you all.

It occasionally gets direct rain, maybe twice a year from the west. It is probably about 1 m inside the eave but down to a manageable height of about 1.5 m; so still exposed on those days where the rain is from the west. RCD on the circuit so feel happy to go with this.

Edited by mayview

We have them for our pump and for an ouside power point for a fan and computer. Get one that the lid opens vertically and shades the box. My smart electrician also wrapped the faceplate of the sockets in tight plastic so the prongs of the plug pierce it to go into the socket. Very smart as the holes seem to close up slightly when the plug is removed and will surely help in keeping dust an maybe insects out a bit.

Clever idea. Now to find some appropriate plastic material. Thanks for your input harrry

Clever idea. Now to find some appropriate plastic material. Thanks for your input harrry

The Schneider faceplates we used had a plastic wrapper, just didn't take it off :)

Whatever the box used for outside outlet, either open or drill a small hole in the bottom "just in case" water penetrates.

Yup, one of our "IP65" floodlights stopped working, on investigation the reason was clear, it was half full of water :(

Be sure to put the cable in the box at the bottom....

My 2 box for the Ponds are old plastic Floppy disc storage boxes, I cut a slot in the bottom for the 4 cables so the lid closes, that was about 6 years ago. perfect, I ran a cable above the ceiling, drilled a hole to outside just under the ring-beam, from the main fuse board to a cut off and all the outside sockets are connected to this.. All sockets [total 14] are 2 m high and in the 2011 floods were the only electric that stayed on = Fish were all fine in the ponds

If you worry about how safe, just go to a local out door market in the ran, one wonders how electric works and why people have not died or had a bad shock.