Tick Plague

I used to raise golden retrievers here, nice long double coats. One time I had 23, all raised in a free run farm environment, fully house and people/children trained when they went up for sale at 2 months When they were in season, de-ticking was a full time job. Now I'm down to ten, but only one Golden and one Lab, the rest are rescued Thai mutts, but they sleep wherever they want, usually a couple in the bed.

Edited by wayned

hi wayned just reading about knockout es.which is a spray must only be used on furniture,carpets ect.do you know if its available here.

The Knock 85 that I referred to is not a spray. It is a powder and is packaged in small individual envelopes. It can be mixed with water and used to bathe dogs or used as a flea powder. It is 85% carbaryl, a very powerful insecticide, It can be found here, in the town near me, Takfa, in the pharmacy. It will kill the critters and some will fall off as you stated but most will have to be removed by hand. It will not prevent infestation for very long. I use Sevin Dust that I get from the feed store whose main ingrediant is carbaryl. I usually only use it around the bedding. My dogs run free and pick up the bugs everyday no mater what I do. The highest infestation is on their feet, between the toes and on the pads. We remove them by hand. I guess that you could mix Knock 85 in a spray bottle but I have never seen it in that from. Many of the tick sprays and powders contain carbaryl or. permethrim.

"How do I cope with it?" I've raised dogs most of my life and have learned that somethings just come with the territory and I do the best that I can. Either you can love them or leave them and I choose the former.

the advert i saw for knockout es.is not for dogs only for bedding,carpets ect only in spray form.that powder we used has only 6% carbaryl,i shall try our pharmacy for that strong powder.talk about copeing i had greyhounds 20yrs.but apart from the odd tape worm and injuries ,keeping one here is not easy.how the hell thai's manage with double coated dogs.

the wife bought a spray tues.at the pet shop in the mall[korat] called chaingard,it does say in english pet bedding spray but in thai it says it can be sprayed on the dog.she sprayed the bedding where he lays and in the morning found many dead small ones.in the evening she found a dead female on the floor,and i sprayed a male 10minutes ago and he's laying with his legs in the air definately dead.it does say it contains 1%permethrin so at 89bht.for 200ml.and smells ok.

We had this problem couple of months ago, tried a few things, including injections, nothing worked.

Eventually we got a tick and flea collar each and a wash that I remember from my younger days back home for fleas that when added to water is white and has a strong smell, got it from the vet and have the name somewhere if you want it....but you mix up 2 litres of water with it, wash the dogs as normal and rinse, then put this mixture all over them, everywhere except eyes, nose mouth etc and put one of those funnel collars on them so they cannot lick it, let it dry for 10 minutes, then wash off, I have since heard it is ok to leave it dry as when dry it is not an issue for them to lick it, but I prefer to wash off as still works as well.

It killed all the ticks and eggs, it left a smell on them that kept them away and you can also use this as a wash for around the house and leave to dry, will smell a bit, but better than having infestation.

All were gone in matter of 1 week and back to normal now.

Only need to use it if you notice them come back, not weekly or such and the spot on does the job also.

The white powder that you used is a strong insecticide, carberyl. It is sold buy vets and pharmacies under different names, Knock 85 is one. It is also the basic chemical in Sevin Dust. It will kill, fleas, ticks, and mites on contact and also by ingestion but will not prevent them from coming back after a short time.

It's really odd that this post is number 4 and by the last post you have become and expert on invermectin, permethrim, the cost of both and how to raise dogs properly. If the ivermec shots were working as you said the you had been giving for 6-8 years in post 18, why did you bathe your dogs with the white powder in post 4? Your posts are very confusing and sometimes do not make any sense. But if it works for your dogs then have at it!

Post #4 is from Showbags. Not from me!!!

I just give my dogs every 4 weeks ivermec in the food. That's all!!! The onliest powder what I use is at most if a streetdog in our street have open bloody wounds full of worms. For this I use a powder from Bayer. Very helpfull. Kill all flies and larvaes in 1-2 days and the wounds closed in 5-7 days.

Wayned, about this I don't wrote more infos about ivermectin. I only give the right link to find all information on Google.

I give a tip but a dogowner must read self the information and use ivermec or not. It's up to the dogowner.

meatboy, this stuff was for sure Frontline, Advantix or something similar. In europe you only need it every 3 month but in thailand every 4-6 weeks. In europe the tick season is around 4-6 month but here it's all over the year.

If you go to a pet vet in normal you don't find ivermec or ivermectin. They don't sale it. Not here and not in europe. Because it is to cheap and very dangerous for breeds like collies. I pay for a 100ml bottle Ivermec only 250 Baht (200 for Ivermec, 50 for shipping) . This is enough for our 6 dogs for 1 year.

If I do it with frontline I pay:

for 1 dog/year 2-3 packs of frontline a 950,- Baht because all dogs are 30-40kg = 2.850 - 3.800 Baht

So I had to pay for 6 dogs 17.100 - 22.800 Baht. A VERY BIG DIFFERENT to 250,- Baht!!! And Frontline or Advantix are not saver for dogs!!!

I don't give my dogs the yearly vaccination because if your vet use the right one, they need it only every 3 years.

Wayned, about this I don't wrote more infos about ivermectin. I only give the right link to find all information on Google.

I give a tip but a dogowner must read self the information and use ivermec or not. It's up to the dogowner.

meatboy, this stuff was for sure Frontline, Advantix or something similar. In europe you only need it every 3 month but in thailand every 4-6 weeks. In europe the tick season is around 4-6 month but here it's all over the year.

If you go to a pet vet in normal you don't find ivermec or ivermectin. They don't sale it. Not here and not in europe. Because it is to cheap and very dangerous for breeds like collies. I pay for a 100ml bottle Ivermec only 250 Baht (200 for Ivermec, 50 for shipping) . This is enough for our 6 dogs for 1 year.

If I do it with frontline I pay:

for 1 dog/year 2-3 packs of frontline a 950,- Baht because all dogs are 30-40kg = 2.850 - 3.800 Baht

So I had to pay for 6 dogs 17.100 - 22.800 Baht. A VERY BIG DIFFERENT to 250,- Baht!!! And Frontline or Advantix are not saver for dogs!!!

I don't give my dogs the yearly vaccination because if your vet use the right one, they need it only every 3 years.

Sorry for the mix up, my fault! I know, snowgard and showbags - not even close!

Then you are the expert on invermectin, permethrim, the cost of both and how to raise dogs properly. But I'm still confused, in post 15 your said that you buy it from your local farm shop for 60 baht/100ml but now you are ordering it for 250 baht/100ml? Ivermec is available, at my local vet. He sells both the cheap stuff and the more expensive imported stuff. It is widely used on livestock in the area, mainly to control liver fluke.

As I stated earlier if your dogs live in a clean tick free environment control is fairly easy, but I really don't think that if you are giving your dogs theraputic dosages that it is controlling the ticks, just the internal parasites, heart worm and round worm. It must only be used on animals that have been tested for and do not have heart worm. I have treated mange using ivermectin and the dosages necessary to rid the animal of external parasites such as ticks and mites are very high. The animal should not be given these dosages for a prolonged period of time!

But as I said if what you are doing controls the parasites then have at it. Keeping your animals tick free in a controlled environment is doable, but on a farm where they run free in the fields it's next to impossible.

But as I said if what you are doing controls the parasites then have at it. Keeping your animals tick free in a controlled environment is doable, but on a farm where they run free in the fields it's next to impossible.

My dogs run every day 2h in the pattaya hills with me and gone swimming. :-)

German sheperds are working dogs. They need it. And me too!!!

They're never 100% tickfree. But the ticks bite, drink and die.

If you use ivermec on a therapeutic dosage you can controll the ticks very well!!!

Try it and you will see it!!! Permethrin I use only outside for control the ants and termites.

My local Farmshop sale ivermec 10ml bottles for 60,- Baht not 100ml. But 2 years ago I found a Pharmashop from a vet what sale 100ml bottles for 200,- Bht and 50 Baht for shipping:

In this onlineshop they sale 10ml for 75 Baht: http://prakanshop.ta...«à¸¡à¸±à¸”.html

And here you can buy 100ml bottles: http://www.phimaiproduct.com

Edited by snowgard

My dogs run every day 2h in the pattaya hills with me and gone swimming. :-)

German sheperds are working dogs. They need it. And me too!!!

They're never 100% tickfree. But the ticks bite, drink and die.

If you use ivermec on a therapeutic dosage you can controll the ticks very well!!!

Try it and you will see it!!! Permethrin I use only outside for control the ants and termites.

Like I said, if it works for you then that's great.

I've given my dogs therapeutic doses of ivermectin since they were weened. My oldest is now 13 and I've had as many as 23 dogs. The therapeutic doses have little or no effect on tick infestation.

• 1 month later...

Today I took our 2 dogs (shihtzu and poodle/shihtzu) to the local vet and had them injected with ivermectin. The vet said we would need to come back in 2 months (he did recommend that we inject them ourselves). We asked for some shampoo that could help and he passed us a bottle called Mac Groom (189 baht).

Total cost 349 baht.

I will post an update to see if it has helped with our tick problem. The ticks we have are the little fat round ones that move slow and are usually full of blood. My wife picks these from the dogs body and our bed and pops them in some tissue (not very pleasant).

• 2 weeks later...

This thread has turned into a big argument. Why not just post what you use on your own dogs and what environment they live in, what breed etc...... Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

+1............it's amazing how so many tv posters go off topic and end up name calling like children.................

Back ON the topic of ticks, our neighbor's puppy just got diagnosed with a bacterial infection carried by ticks and suddenly went from playful puppy to paralyzed in his hind quarters, so that prompted me to learn about the latest in tick control and came to this topic which has a lot of opinions and options which I will check into. I will re-read this post and take notes before I decide which route to go, but I think that Bina summed it up quite well in saying that it's best to rotate treatment because of tolerances of the poisons that that we have to subject our poor animals to.

The tropics are hard on dogs, cats [and humans]

Edited by jaideeguy

Today I took our 2 dogs (shihtzu and poodle/shihtzu) to the local vet and had them injected with ivermectin. The vet said we would need to come back in 2 months (he did recommend that we inject them ourselves). We asked for some shampoo that could help and he passed us a bottle called Mac Groom (189 baht).

Total cost 349 baht.

I will post an update to see if it has helped with our tick problem. The ticks we have are the little fat round ones that move slow and are usually full of blood. My wife picks these from the dogs body and our bed and pops them in some tissue (not very pleasant).

Update:

Its been about 2 weeks and we have seen a vast improvement. My wife showered the dogs with the shampoo I'd mentioned and she came across 1 tick. Tbf we were seeing more of them on the bed of a morning than anywhere else (don't get me started on that).

Now I'm back overseas I will keep hounding her to see if it's eradicated them totally.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app