Whistle Blowing - Bad for ears

petedk

What is this crazy idea with whistle blowing?

I know security guards and "traffic controllers" have been doing it for years but now blowing whistles at politicians. When will it stop? Can't Thai people talk or shout?

I can imagine that in 5 - 10 years we'll have a lot of deaf or hearing impaired Thai people.

A month or so ago got off the BTS at Piyathai station and the security guard blew his whistle with all his might. I swear that was the loudest ear piercing whistle I have ever heard. I was less than two metres from him and my ears were ringing for a couple of hours. So much that I nearly went to the hospital to have them checked.

So now with thousands of people blowing whistles I am sure there must be some ear damage done.

• Like 1

I agree with you on this one.

Noise tolerance in Thailand is astounding, with people capable of withstanding excruciatingly high SPL's over extended periods.

Whistle-blowing is just the tip of the iceberg.

In Thailand, louder & noisier definitely means better!

• Like 1

Oddly enough this one drives me nuts. not many things get under my skin but the theory of have whistle must blow kills me. Example, at my condo the security guards change every 6 months. One bright and early morning after a wild night of drinking and partying I was awoken at 6:45 AM to the new guy loudly blowing a whistle. Non freeking stop. When it did stop it was then started 10 minutes later. Hung over and grumpy as all be I put on some shorts and got in the lift. Ground floor walked out of the building to find his assisting cars that are backing out of the parking lot with his whistle rather than hand signals.

Long story short I asked for his whistle and took it up to my room where it now stays. Never did I get so rudely woken again.

I was at Makro NS early one morning last week and there was a security guy blowing his whistle as loud as he could and waving his arms around indicting where drivers should park. The car park is large as at all Makros and there was only about a dozen cars there and as you probably have guessed no one was taking any notice of him!!!

After have lost night after night with sleep, due to barking dogs (for hours and hours), a few minutes whistling has now become, "just one of those things".

Anyhow, the whistling will probably only affect the hearing of the one using it regularly.

After have lost night after night with sleep, due to barking dogs (for hours and hours), a few minutes whistling has now become, "just one of those things".

Anyhow, the whistling will probably only affect the hearing of the one using it regularly.

I am lucky no soi dogs for me just cats.

I learnt the hard way that it's one sharp blow to stop, and two to carry on/proceed. Now have a very nice ding in the chrome bumper after reversing into a wall.

Mind you, I'm still fairly sure I felt the bang before I heard the whistle. The security guy didn't hang around to debate the issue.

I am lucky no soi dogs for me just cats.

It is the neighbors dogs I meant.

Anyhow,

not to high jack the thread.

Having travelled a bit around the globe, more than a few times (93-54 countries), the whistle using (traffic, security, etc) can be found in many countries, and is not really very specific to Thailand.

I learnt the hard way that it's one sharp blow to stop, and two to carry on/proceed. Now have a very nice ding in the chrome bumper after reversing into a wall.

Mind you, I'm still fairly sure I felt the bang before I heard the whistle. The security guy didn't hang around to debate the issue.

Hurt your knuckles, eh?

Next time use an expandable baton.

Unnecessary noise is a pet hate...

Car parks and whistles.. as if people can't park themselves !... OK some can't, so then can follow hand signals.. But no.. Hand Signals and a whistle.

Fortunately my wife wrote a letter of complain and included an article from the Bangkok Post which addressed the unnecessary use of whistles and the improvement of the local 'noise' environment when whistles were not used...

Surprisingly enough it worked - No whistles at our apartments...

while it is annoying, I doubt it causes damage.

High frequency sound seems more loud than it is. I guess in a loud discotheque, you wouldn't hear him.

I disagree with you.

I've noticed there are different kinds of whistle and if someof them are blown really hard and just a meter or two from your ears then the "pain" is unbearable. I don't know if my ears are more sensitive than others' but I really had a ringing sound for a couple of hours.

I see some of the security guards just blowing their whistles whilst standing at the roadside and cars are whizzing past at full speed. What's the point? I don't think these guys can stop. It's like some kind of addiction or show of power and never consider if anyone is walking past or not.

High frequency sound seems more loud than it is. I guess in a loud discotheque, you wouldn't hear him.

I disagree with you.

I've noticed there are different kinds of whistle and if someof them are blown really hard and just a meter or two from your ears then the "pain" is unbearable. I don't know if my ears are more sensitive than others' but I really had a ringing sound for a couple of hours.

I see some of the security guards just blowing their whistles whilst standing at the roadside and cars are whizzing past at full speed. What's the point? I don't think these guys can stop. It's like some kind of addiction or show of power and never consider if anyone is walking past or not.

OK, I might not have seen this version. If the ears ring after it, it is bad...I never had that...extreme annoying yes.

I think you are right there.

The limit of pain is (in general I think) around 120 Db?

Surely someone know this.

The whistles are almost that, but it is high frequencies.

To suffer damage, it takes a bit more over longer periods, or extremely high noise (gun shots, etc) in short period.