Foreign protesters not allowed

Leung Falang

While in our local immigration office yesterday we were advised in a very friendly way that we should be very careful of protests, and be sure not to participate as that is now illegal. The second advice was to avoid allowing "agents" in Laos to take your passports to the Thai Embassy for visas as illegal visas were being used. They were aware of this website and asked me to post the information on protests.

• Like 1

Foreign protestors? Some foreigners are naturalized citizens so they have the right if they wish. More accurate would be those on permission of stay stamps are not allowed. Guess that guy shouting out burn Central and steal everything has set a bad example. biggrin.png

Foreigner who are naturalized citizen are locals, or?

They are pinkish Thais with a long nose.

Similar to the Thais with Chinese ethnic.

I bet immigration get hours of laughter,reading this site.

Particularly,Visa issue's,girlfriend/wife problems.

More than likely some are active posters.

didn't know immigration could speak/read english or understand irony..so be hard for them to fellow thaivisa 555

Don't believe it.

They are not as green as they are cabbage looking.

what kind of mental case would protest anywhere let alone as a foreigner here in Thailand? I know!!! Football hooligans!! Wow what an answer that would be if the UK could send it's footbal hooligans and nutters to join in the festivities in BKK, I'm sure some red/yellow/purple or whatever colour shirts could arrange them non B visas!!!!... sorry, I got carried away a bit there..

Foreign protestors? Some foreigners are naturalized citizens so they have the right if they wish. More accurate would be those on permission of stay stamps are not allowed. Guess that guy shouting out burn Central and steal everything has set a bad example. biggrin.png

Point of order ... of you are a naturalized citizen then you are no longer a foreigner (but is you are white you are still a farang! ;) )

• Like 1

Naturalized foreigners are just a way for Thailand to placate other nations and convince others it is a democracy and not as xenophobic as we know it to be!

Democracy and Xenophobic are 2 different things.

You can be a perfect Democracy but extreme Xenophobic and you can be Dictatorship but not Xenophobic.

Often it goes hand in hand but that is no must.

I'm not a Thai citizen and have no intention of protesting for either or any side. It's up to citizens to determine their own destiny however bad that may be.

I wouldn't accept if some Thai wifes would protest in my home country.

So I wouldn't protest in Thailand. Not my business. I have an opinion and express it but I don't protest.

what kind of mental case would protest anywhere let alone as a foreigner here in Thailand? I know!!! Football hooligans!! Wow what an answer that would be if the UK could send it's footbal hooligans and nutters to join in the festivities in BKK, I'm sure some red/yellow/purple or whatever colour shirts could arrange them non B visas!!!!... sorry, I got carried away a bit there..

The kind of mental case that would protest anywhere would be those that believe in something. As a foreigner in Thailand I might go to observe, but I would not be a protester at this point. (you can ask again if I ever make the next move and attempt to gain Thai citizenship.)

The kind of mental case that would protest anywhere would be those that believe in something. As a foreigner in Thailand I might go to observe, but I would not be a protester at this point. (you can ask again if I ever make the next move and attempt to gain Thai citizenship.)

Good luck with that one then. I remember not so long ago how it seemed everybody on facebook was spouting off about Egypt and power to the people. Legally elected PM overthrowman new puppet government installed, 2 years later same stuff, all the FB people with their power to the people and why is the media not reporting this nonsense? Couple of thousand dead in the streets thanks to the carnage. Nothing changed except anothe legally elected PM ousted and all start again. I've worked in these protests and it's dangerous (obviously) and people like yourself think the way forward seems to be this anarchy malarkey? I might be mis-interpreting your post, maybe you go and wave a banner when postage increases or something. But seriously, what changes? One corrupt lot replaces another - not that it's any of my business. Anti-apartheid was successful in S.A though.. Managed to get a murderer into power and next door in Rhodesia one of the biggest animals in Africa has crippled that country too. Power to the people!!

I met a few English guys who were on about how they were mixed in with the red shirts during the big protests a few years ago. Seemed like a dumb thing to get involved in, here or anywhere were you are not a citizen. No fun being sent home in a body bag with a note saying "killed during protest that was not about him, didn't achieve the goals that had nothing to do with him and wouldn't have had anything to do with him had they succeeded. RIP."

Thais have to sort this out themselves.

For someone that lives, works, pays taxes, has family in Thailand, what is wrong with them having a view and being involved with what they beieve in?

I met a few English guys who were on about how they were mixed in with the red shirts during the big protests a few years ago. Seemed like a dumb thing to get involved in, here or anywhere were you are not a citizen. No fun being sent home in a body bag with a note saying "killed during protest that was not about him, didn't achieve the goals that had nothing to do with him and wouldn't have had anything to do with him had they succeeded. RIP."

Thais have to sort this out themselves.

For someone that lives, works, pays taxes, has family in Thailand, what is wrong with them having a view and being involved with what they beieve in?

A fair point, in theory.

But I would be inclined to say that whatever the authorities can do to keep a lid on the childish partisan nonsense going on at the moment is probably a good thing. It's easy to see ways in which foreigners getting involved could make a stupid and dangerous situation even more so.

That's not to say that should crack down on any palefaces who do get caught up in the mix. A slap on the wrist would be sufficient. I recall last time around some Australian chap with a couple of kids here ended up getting deported and blacklisted for the great crime of being an excitable <deleted> to whom somebody handed a microphone... Seemed a bit "oh verr".

Why on earth would a foreigner be protesting about the political situation here..? The Infamous Ausie @rse, during the last round of demos turned out to be a Walt. There again, there are enough TV members with an opinion (@rsehole) on this forum, that they would fit in well to the Thai political strata... Better to look nearer home, before criticizing or recommending how a country should be ran.

The thing the sickens me most, is that they (demonstrators) all profess to be on the side of the monarchy. If they were, they'd all do his Majesty a favour & stop their shenanigans... I'm sure he's truly sick of the whole sad, embarrassing affair.

I though the red shirts were the governments boys.

So if you joined them it wouldn't be protesting, it would be supporting the government.

I went to a red shirt rally last week, seemed more of a party atmosphere to me.

Waited forever for the coyote dancers to get on stage, but they never did, just talking heads.

Bit disappointing really.

Edited by FiftyTwo