Police Still Looking For Power Transformer

george

Police still looking for power transformer

Ubon Ratchathani: -- Police are hoping to narrow down their search for a 12-tonne power transformer stolen in Det Udom district a month ago today. Police suspect some of the power agency's staff were involved in the theft.

The four-million-baht Step-Up AVR (automatic voltage regulator) transformer with a power of 20 kilovolts was taken from its location adjacent to a sawmill, about 100 metres from a power plant office in the district on April 6.

Ruangpol Wanason, head of Det Udom district branch's electricity authority, said the transformer was to help step up the electricity voltage in Det Udom, Nam Yuen, Na Chaluai and Buntharik districts.

Mr Ruangpol added the thieves needed a large, powerful crane to lift it.

The thieves were thought to have come from other provinces as such a huge crane had rarely been used in Ubon Ratchathani. Only small construction cranes operate in the province, said Mr Ruangpol.

Pakdi Wongsaprom, director of the Provincial Electricity Authority Area 2 (Ubon Ratchathani), said witnesses saw a crane being moved around in Det Udom district a couple of days before the transformer was stolen. The crane originated in the upper northeastern province of Udon Thani.

Mr Pakdi said only two groups of people who knew the transformer had been moved recently: the PEA's staff and construction workers on Ubon Ratchathani-Det Udom road, who asked the PEA to move the transformer off the construction area.

Mr Pakdi said electricity agencies on the border have been asked to look out for the transformer.

Neighbouring Laos also offered to help following media reports that the transformer may have been smuggled across the border.

Nimit Saeng-amphan, head of a customs office at Phibun Mangsahan district in Ubon Ratchathani said no transformer had passed through the checkpoint in the district or the Chong Mek border pass in Chong Mek of Sirinthorn district.

Such heavy electrical equipment could be carried only in a trailer but no report had emerged so far.

Pol Lt-Col Aphisek Sarapim, Det Udom district deputy police chief, said 10 staff members of the district electricity agency had been investigated for possible involvement in the theft. Police were trying to locate the transformer and certain clues about the thieves had already turned up.

--Bangkok Post 2006-05-06

I think this was more than an inside job. I have trouble believing that the police also didn't know something about it. There had to be a lot of people who watched that thing go by.

I'm shocked.

Where oh where in the hel_l do you think you can sell something like this? Instead of transport checks, why don't they check the local or nearest scrap dealer, one that can melt it down.

E-Bay !

LaoPo

Wow who does not have a very big crane that does not lift 12 tonnes, a very very huge crane I must say. The manager for the joint must be in it or he is just an complete uneducated surviver.

Come on now Mr police man wake up and smell the fumes from the very very large diesel crane passing your window. it must be a very good lead to the culprits or just a very small diseption?????

wouldn't need a huge crane 12 tonnes not much reach to get onto a low loader, to easy.

lots of copper in that 12 tonnes.

And a large percentage of the weight will be 'oil' and with the prices now... :o:D

disagree with the weight being the heavy bit, copper is the majority, you would also have a radiator to cool the oil and a couple of fans.

You are right about the copper, I was just mentioning a moderate % (not majority) of it would be the oil. In this case there will probably be between 3500 and 4000 liters of oil (mineral) with a total weight of nearly one tonne. Subtract out the steel housing and radiator and the percentage can be significant. But the copper is where the real money would be, just tongue in cheek about the oil. :o

trucks that deliver concrete for houses and car ports usually have 2 tonne hi amps cranes on the back so put 2 trucks together like they do in thailand and throw a tarp over it and away you go.

Hmmm - how do 2 x 2 tonne cranes lift a 12 tonne transformer?

As for the oil - I wonder what that would be worth - it's not the sort that can be used ina car so presumably it will be flushed into some creek or other.

I can't imagine that such a large load would be able to disappear without the local police knowing - they would definitely have patrols around the place on motor cycle, and a 12 tonne load on a low loader or other large truck is not going to be ducking down any back soi's in a big hurry...

Love it... really, I love it... 12 tonne... no witnesses....ohh god i love it. :o:D:D:D:D

How can such a large thing be removed without anyone seeing it go? come on this is no motocycle or any thing, its got to be huge... about 12 tonne come to thought.

Seriously how can such a large piece of equiptment just diapear??? :D

I remember a story about some pipes going missing from pattaya beach road (i think) but this is awsome!!!!!!! Nobody saw a thing.... come on :D:D:D:D

Love it

Cheers

There are some reports of a sub-standard transformer at the new airport.....could it be.........? :D

"Pridi Buranasiri, former National Housing Authority governor, said he had an in-depth report on graft in the construction of the passenger terminal and a concourse building. Substandard transformers had been installed and the auditor-general should investigate, he said."

It couldn't happen in Thailand :o Could it? :D

There are some reports of a sub-standard transformer at the new airport.....could it be.........? :D

"Pridi Buranasiri, former National Housing Authority governor, said he had an in-depth report on graft in the construction of the passenger terminal and a concourse building. Substandard transformers had been installed and the auditor-general should investigate, he said."

It couldn't happen in Thailand :o Could it? :D

I'm personally shocked and stunned given the curre :D nt state of affairs that some live wire could move a transformer let alone generate a machine to lift it. A manager on the site (allegedly) blue a fuse when he heard but has since come back to earth a spokesmen said it's not terminal, Watt?