Egg Poacher?

Lobo4819

Look online Lobo for a Black and Decker egg poacher/egg boiler.I bought one in the middle east a few months ago and now have perfect poached eggs and boiled eggs done to my liking.So easy to use.I am sure Amerson (sorry spelling) can supply them.I have tried the microwave things but they seem to be useless.

Look online Lobo for a Black and Decker egg poacher/egg boiler.I bought one in the middle east a few months ago and now have perfect poached eggs and boiled eggs done to my liking.So easy to use.I am sure Amerson (sorry spelling) can supply them.I have tried the microwave things but they seem to be useless.

I fear you must be doing something wrong then-I find the plastic microwave things brilliant and wish I had found them years ago.

A little butter or similar in the 'well'; break in the egg, pierce the yolk several times with a toothpick, close the lid and mike for your chosen time. Easy, quick and tasty.

But may be more discerning folk want a 'better' poached egg........ If it looks like an egg and tastes like an egg and has the 'right' consistency, good enough for me.

• Like 1

It might of been a snake (sorry but somebody would have said it so thought it was my turn for an easy funny tongue.png ) Have a good Sunday TVers!

p.s. my inner Chef is insisting that I suggest putting some vinegar in water which will help coagulate the whites and cook at a low boiling while making a vortex in the water for a prefect poached egg w/o the need for any special equipment.

• Like 2

I fear you must be doing something wrong then-I find the plastic microwave things brilliant and wish I had found them years ago.

A little butter or similar in the 'well'; break in the egg, pierce the yolk several times with a toothpick, close the lid and mike for your chosen time. Easy, quick and tasty.

But may be more discerning folk want a 'better' poached egg........ If it looks like an egg and tastes like an egg and has the 'right' consistency, good enough for me.

+1

Been using them for years. But I am only a one prick man and oil man. (That did not come out quite right!)

1.36 minutes at power 6- works for us..

• Like 1

Why not just put some water in a saucepan and use the plastic part of the microwave one that holds the eggs to steam the eggs on the stove.

(Or learn how to make real poached eggs)

Because it would probably melt-and, why faff about boiling water on the stove, filling the place with steam, when they work perfectly well in the microwave which is what they are designed for!!!

So maybe you can teach us how to make 'real' poached eggs-do you mean those ragged things that result from stirring boiling water containing vinegar ? If so, they seem more like coddled eggs.

thumbsup.gif As with many things, I prefer mine firm...

• Like 2

Why not just put some water in a saucepan and use the plastic part of the microwave one that holds the eggs to steam the eggs on the stove.

Because it would probably melt-and, why faff about boiling water on the stove, filling the place with steam, when they work perfectly well in the microwave which is what they are designed for!!!

So maybe you can teach us how to make 'real' poached eggs-do you mean those ragged things that result from stirring boiling water containing vinegar ? If so, they seem more like coddled eggs.

They will not melt as long as their is water in the pan...

Firm is fine as long as you have the brains to do something with it.

They will not melt as long as their is water in the pan...

Firm is fine as long as you have the brains to do something with it.

I fear you are wrong as even with a large saucepan the tandem microwave plastic thing will sit on the rim so will likely melt but I wont ruin mine by trying it - and I dont like brains.

It might of been a snake (sorry but somebody would have said it so thought it was my turn for an easy funny tongue.png ) Have a good Sunday TVers!

p.s. my inner Chef is insisting that I suggest putting some vinegar in water which will help coagulate the whites and cook at a low boiling while making a vortex in the water for a prefect poached egg w/o the need for any special equipment.

You're right. When it is done well that way it is the best poached egg. But somehow the technique just eludes me and they come out a bit bedraggled. So it is a tea cup with a bit of olive oil or butter in the bottom and I pop it into the microwave with the egg and a reasonably satisfying poached egg comes out. No nasty Chinese plastic things that are probably carcinogenic.

• 3 weeks later...

You're right. When it is done well that way it is the best poached egg. But somehow the technique just eludes me and they come out a bit bedraggled. So it is a tea cup with a bit of olive oil or butter in the bottom and I pop it into the microwave with the egg and a reasonably satisfying poached egg comes out. No nasty Chinese plastic things that are probably carcinogenic.

I just came upon this thread since I also have been looking for "double boiler " type of egg poacher for years. I really do not enjoy eggs poached in the microwave, since I like the yolk to be still 'runny' after cooking - piercing it with toothpicks simply destroys this end result.

I have on occasion produced perfect poached eggs with the swirl method and at other times had very poor results. I finally learned the basics of this technique. The water must be very soft ( ie almost no dissolved minerals) and the eggs must be very fresh - no more than 2 days out of the hen. Adding vinegar helps to counteract the minerals in the water, which is essential with the high mineral content of our water in the north. Finding fresh eggs is an entirely different matter. A two to three week old egg is still considered fresh and edible, and that,s what you get in most 'fresh markets' worldwide. However, after three days, the yolk and white will not stay together using the swirl technique - the results are worse as the eggs age and the white transforms

Get your own chickens or order an egg poacher on eBay.

Edited by tigermonkey

Useful item to have. Around 700-800 THB everywhere.

That looks like an electric vegetable steamer, with 4 ceramic cups (sauce dishes ?) sitting in it to hold the eggs - good idea.

Can you tell us where "everywhere" is ? - for those of us who don't live near "everywhere".

I just came upon this thread since I also have been looking for "double boiler " type of egg poacher for years. I really do not enjoy eggs poached in the microwave, since I like the yolk to be still 'runny' after cooking - piercing it with toothpicks simply destroys this end result.

I have on occasion produced perfect poached eggs with the swirl method and at other times had very poor results. I finally learned the basics of this technique. The water must be very soft ( ie almost no dissolved minerals) and the eggs must be very fresh - no more than 2 days out of the hen. Adding vinegar helps to counteract the minerals in the water, which is essential with the high mineral content of our water in the north. Finding fresh eggs is an entirely different matter. A two to three week old egg is still considered fresh and edible, and that,s what you get in most 'fresh markets' worldwide. However, after three days, the yolk and white will not stay together using the swirl technique - the results are worse as the eggs age and the white transforms

Get your own chickens or order an egg poacher on eBay.

If you cant get a good result with the microwave poachers, you must be doing something wrong.

First you need to pierce the membrane above the yolk just 4-5 times with a cocktail stick, leaving the yolk intact-not treat it like a vampire with a stake through the heart.

Then experiment with different heat/time settings until you find what you want. Obviously better to undercook,, then return it for a little more.

Just eating my second now, as the first was sooo good.....

Frankly, I don't know how you guys can eat those things! If the yolk isn't hard enough to play ping-pong, it needs to go back on the stove!

I mean, there's a reason God invented omelets and Deviled Eggs!

If you want a mouthful of powder, just eat flour.

Poached eggs should be like this, so you can simply pierce them with a fork to get the yolk to soak into lightly toasted bread.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

poached-eggs-a.jpg

Edited by Chicog
  • Like 1

Frankly, I don't know how you guys can eat those things! If the yolk isn't hard enough to play ping-pong, it needs to go back on the stove!

I mean, there's a reason God invented omelets and Deviled Eggs!

If you want a mouthful of powder, just eat flour.

Poached eggs should be like this, so you can simply pierce them with a fork to get the yolk to soak into lightly toasted bread.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

poached-eggs-a.jpg

I agree - and maybe a little cheese and/or sauce if that's to your taste-or on top of welsh rarebit. Hmm-getting hungry again...

• 1 month later...

My quest is finished with great success - I found an excellent egg poaching pan in Chiang Mai. It is made by Meyer, and is obviously imported. It has a nice teflon coated pan and rack, with four egg cups, a long handle and glass lid. It was a little pricey at 1200 THB, but that is less than I was about to pay ( including shipping) through eBay, and without any of the hassles of shipping/customs, etc.

I found it in Rimping, Promenada which has a superb cookware section. There was one more hanging on the rack if anyone is interested - look for the yellow cardboard wrapper.

I finally wound up using a hybrid solution suggested here: I use the plastic egg cups that are designed for microwave use (hourglass-shaped), but just place them in boiling water. Takes a little experimentation to get the water level and time down, but once you do, it is a very good and inexpensive solution, and as tigermonkey said, without the hassle of shipping.

Delia Smith, the perfect Poached egg in 12 mins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWUHbEYz6JU

john

Did you watch this through? A lot of faffing about and 12 minutes to get such a soft poached egg that, for my taste, needs to be more firm.

Much easier, I suggest, to learn to use the microwave double poachers properly - i.e adjust power/time to personal taste.

Works for me, takes less than 2 minutes and needs only a small amount of washing up!

Yes I watched the film.

I looked it up, for some years ago I watched one of her TV programs. Now Delia as you may or may not know is considered a UK Top Chef.

In the TV prog she was adamant that you cannot poach an egg in less than 12 mins, to be truly poached it takes time, anything else is Baking.

I love a poached egg and must admit that all the poached eggs I have eaten are Baked (according to Delia).

john

And I am not qualified enough to explain the differance betwen Baking and Poaching

Yes I watched the film.

I looked it up, for some years ago I watched one of her TV programs. Now Delia as you may or may not know is considered a UK Top Chef.

In the TV prog she was adamant that you cannot poach an egg in less than 12 mins, to be truly poached it takes time, anything else is Baking.

I love a poached egg and must admit that all the poached eggs I have eaten are Baked (according to Delia).

john

And I am not qualified enough to explain the differance betwen Baking and Poaching

I didn't watch the film but there seems to be a genuine lack of proper verbage here. "Baking" is cooking done in dry heat, such as baking a cake. A "baked" egg would be truly dusgusting ( for me) and almost inedible. Do you put the egg in a baking pan and bake for one hour at 325 ? A 12 minute poached egg is not a poached egg but a CODDLED egg - look it up ! A classic poached egg is cooked in steam or hot water in a few minutes, to preference, usually with soft yolk and all the white delicately cooked - there are many methods.