Thai opposition protesters storm foreign ministry

webfact

... i doubt that this was sanctioned by Suthep.

Suthep?

The names and faces are interchangeable but anything else same, same but not different. The big ego striving for power by all means. You know one you know them all.

The more it keeps on going the more it occurs to me that Seh Daeng has reincarnated but just in a different colour. Anarchism appears to be immortal also it loves to disguise itself as democracy. xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.AQgCnSOpp_.png alt=blink.png width=20 height=20>

"Anarchisim appears to be immortal, also it loves to disguise itself as democracy" Very true, we are finding this out in the U.S.A. right now, although it seems that more and more people are realizing that the emperor has no cloths each and every dayw00t.gif

Well, with winter time approaching Mr. Obama is about to freeze his behind off then under these circumstances.

If State budget does not allow a temporary move to Fort Lauderdale we better EMS a package of jumpers to DC for humanitarian reasons from sunny Thailand. whistling.gif

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In order to navigate the bewilderment of current affairs in Thailand, it would be helpful to know who Mr. Suthep believes has his back if he fails.

In the documented case of the Red Leaders urging their followers to bring Molotov cocktails to Bangkok, we might surmise that a rational calculation was made that even if the Red uprising failed, then at least the odds of a Red electoral win was sufficient to assure that their backs would be covered by the next government. Yes, a gamble, but a calculated one.

But in Mr. Suthep's case, I am having a hard time figuring out what he may be thinking if the Yingluck government survives; a hard time, that is, other than only one possibility. His comments of recent days, if accurately reported, are truly extraordinary. Usually, people who rise to positions of high political power are adept at calculating the odds of different courses of action. Sure, no risk no gain. We can all guess what he imagines his upside to be.

But what is he thinking if he loses?

Could it simply be that his calculation is that if Yingluck survives there could be no amnesty for her brother without amnesty for him too?

And if that is his calculation, then what legal constraints are left on the opposition in their goal to topple the current government? And similarly, if Yingluck is to survive and amnesty will become a reality, under what legal constraints today does her government really operate to control these protests?

And if indeed it were to come to pass, or already has, that all parties view the law as inoperative, then who dares contemplate how all this ends?

I have great affection for Thailand. Please show me how this thinking is misguided!

If there is an attempt to close the airports, again, it is a matter of national security.

Requiring an early intervening by riot police before it get's out of hand.

From the past we already know what happens if we reach a point when military has to assure national security. blink.png

This is a mistake, they are going to give the police an excuse to take action. The protests should remain non violent, i doubt that this was sanctioned by Suthep.

But it is Suthep who has stirred them up and told them where to go, so i am afraid Khun Suthep is the trouble maker responsible.............arrest the man !

• Like 1

This mob really need a name change, maybe something like 'The people's alliance for democracy unless we don't like the policies, then we'll stamp our feet and scream and scream and scream until we're sick '

That might be a bit long winded, maybe just 'the privileged few against people who don't know that we should be in charge all the time'

Still too long.....'Voting's for chumps, we should be in charge...just because we say so'

When an elected government is incompetent, and their policies are failing, damaging the economy, changing things to the detriment of society, vote for the opposition IN THE NEXT ELECTION.

That is the only way that the supporters of that government will be able to accept the fact that they had their turn and were not popular enough to secure a further term in office. It is the ONLY WAY to be able to claim the right to govern.

Unless, of course, the pretence of democracy is discarded altogether and the government is appointed by a minority.

In which case, insurrection and subversion should be expected.

If they actually won an election, they might have more credibility.

Well said, this is exactly how the situation should be handled, not by all these harmful ( to Thailand) protests.

Wait for next elections, but can the opposition understand this. No! they believe that bullying is the way to get control of the country. Shame on Suthep and his 'sheep' who listen to all he says.

• Like 1

If there is an attempt to close the airports, again, it is a matter of national security.

Requiring an early intervening by riot police before it get's out of hand.

From the past we already know what happens if we reach a point when military has to assure national security. blink.png

Totally agree. Do you think the ultimate purpose of the protests are non-violent acts of civil disobedience or are they calculated to precipitate a military coup?

This is a mistake, they are going to give the police an excuse to take action. The protests should remain non violent, i doubt that this was sanctioned by Suthep.

The Police can't and won't take action but we know who will.

Might not be a bad thing either in this case.

The right-wing parties and the monarchists are seeking trouble and political turmoil again. They should sweep before their own door first. Just remember that Abisith is responsable for more then 90 deaths during the protests in 2010 and that the yellow shirts blocked the international airport during nearly a week in 2008, causing big damage to the tourism industry.

• Like 1

they want go get in the headlines in the western media, take over the airport again.

Don't put that thought in anyones head.... was stuck in Manila for a week and a half last time they did that.

Not that I dislike Manila but was only suppose to be a 2 day trip for a meeting.... not 10 days, a $2,000 phone bill (due to doing business on roaming) and a return trip from hell via Manila - KL - Utapao to get home.

And i have read in TV that the take over of the airports made no difference to International travel. But of course those statements were made by stupid Dem supporters.

It was in fact, an act of International Terrorism, holding thousands to ransome throughout the world, costing not only travellers, but airlines millions of dollars. Why are the instigators of this terrorism not under lock and key.

• Like 1

... i doubt that this was sanctioned by Suthep.

Suthep?

The names and faces are interchangeable but anything else same, same but not different. The big ego striving for power by all means. You know one you know them all.

The more it keeps on going the more it occurs to me that Seh Daeng has reincarnated but just in a different colour. Anarchism appears to be immortal also it loves to disguise itself as democracy. xblink.png.pagespeed.ic.AQgCnSOpp_.png alt=blink.png width=20 height=20>

"Anarchisim appears to be immortal, also it loves to disguise itself as democracy" Very true, we are finding this out in the U.S.A. right now, although it seems that more and more people are realizing that the emperor has no cloths each and every dayw00t.gif

Guess this is of extreme importance and relative to Thailand.

Well, with winter time approaching Mr. Obama is about to freeze his behind off then under these circumstances.

If State budget does not allow a temporary move to Fort Lauderdale we better EMS a package of jumpers to DC for humanitarian reasons from sunny Thailand. whistling.gif

Guess this is of extreme importance and relative to Thailand.

Edited by Artisi

How is occupying buildings and there adjacent grounds violent. Now if they destroy property or harm people that is violence.

Some posters here do not have English as a first language and lose the correct meaning of the words in translation.

This mob really need a name change, maybe something like 'The people's alliance for democracy unless we don't like the policies, then we'll stamp our feet and scream and scream and scream until we're sick '

That might be a bit long winded, maybe just 'the privileged few against people who don't know that we should be in charge all the time'

Still too long.....'Voting's for chumps, we should be in charge...just because we say so'

When an elected government is incompetent, and their policies are failing, damaging the economy, changing things to the detriment of society, vote for the opposition IN THE NEXT ELECTION.

That is the only way that the supporters of that government will be able to accept the fact that they had their turn and were not popular enough to secure a further term in office. It is the ONLY WAY to be able to claim the right to govern.

Unless, of course, the pretence of democracy is discarded altogether and the government is appointed by a minority.

The pretense of democracy was discarded when the so called elected MPs were told to ignore their continuances wants and needs and concentrate on one man living in Dubai.

As for next time vote differently well if left unchecked there will be no next time.

I would agree that the correct option is to vote out an incompetent government at the next election, however lets remember that this government was not democratically voted in, in the first place.....to have done that they would have participated in fair and free elections that did not involve vote rigging, financial inducements and various forms of intimidation. If they came to power at the ballot box with fair and free elections as citizens of western countries are familiar with, then the correct democratic response is to wait to vote them out again. But if you are of the belief that the same result will apply at the next election due to exactly the same processes as last time, then I can understand why a large sector of the Thai population feel strongly that it is time to show this government the door. Other parties who may have better policies that could have changed the course of politics in this country will not get a look in if PT continue to believe that it is acceptable practice to manipulate elections. Vote buying must cease altogether so that politics focuses on policies and not powerful people and families who treat various parts of this country as their own personal fiefdoms.

PROOF please, not just willy nilly propaganda statements. Maybe you believe all that crap, but not everybody does. And let me assure you, both sides did things to help their cause. So get real and stop believing that the Yellows are "squeeky clean"

• Like 2

Thugs are unfamiliar with the concept of the ballot box. If Thailand's cops were half as good in protecting government buildings as in stealing money from Thai citizens nothing would have happened. Maybe it is time to purge the entire police top and all officers in the lower echelons. Just replace them with Indian guards with a overly body mentality.

They are so afraid of the Yellow shirt thugs, while they simply could have copied the corrupt Suthep's playbook and deployed snipers and this time not to shoot on unarmed protesters but only the armed ones.

Occupying government buildings and shutting down the civil service of an ELECTED government is taking it too far. I hope the riot police will crush these power obsessed people. They are doing (and have done) far more damage to Thailand then Thaksin ever did. However, Thailand don't need PT either. They are almost as bad as the Democrats (most misleading name ever). Thais have no good alternatives and no good people standing up for them in politics. You can only vote for crooks.

• Like 1

they want go get in the headlines in the western media, take over the airport again.

Don't put that thought in anyones head.... was stuck in Manila for a week and a half last time they did that.

Not that I dislike Manila but was only suppose to be a 2 day trip for a meeting.... not 10 days, a $2,000 phone bill (due to doing business on roaming) and a return trip from hell via Manila - KL - Utapao to get home.

And i have read in TV that the take over of the airports made no difference to International travel. But of course those statements were made by stupid Dem supporters.

It was in fact, an act of International Terrorism, holding thousands to ransome throughout the world, costing not only travellers, but airlines millions of dollars. Why are the instigators of this terrorism not under lock and key.

think if you like to check some facts, the airport authority closed the airport not the protester.

• Like 1

Thugs are unfamiliar with the concept of the ballot box. If Thailand's cops were half as good in protecting government buildings as in stealing money from Thai citizens nothing would have happened. Maybe it is time to purge the entire police top and all officers in the lower echelons. Just replace them with Indian guards with a overly body mentality.

They are so afraid of the Yellow shirt thugs, while they simply could have copied the corrupt Suthep's playbook and deployed snipers and this time not to shoot on unarmed protesters but only the armed ones.

Would you care to expand / explain the last paragraph, regarding yellow shirts and the armed protesters

• Like 1

What on earth are these people trying to do to their own country.Have some common sense and call it of before you destroy it.

They are trying to stop it from being destroyed.

Check back on their record of accomplishments then look at what there whole term in office has been about. Don't forget that the Prime Minister sanctioned the actions of a Minister of finance when he said it was OK to lie to the people if it made them feel good.

She had one of three options

1 Sack him immidiatly

2 Not reappoint him in her next cabinet reshuffle

3 Reappoint him in her next cabinet reshuffle.

She choose option number 3. Now I don't know what that tells you about the people in power but it sure tells me a lot. I was not a bit surprised because I was not asleep. But if I had been it would have been an real eye opener to me.

Even option number 2 would have been a big hint as to the kind of people we have in the government.

I for one do not think 48% of the population had that kind of government in mind when they voted PTPredshirt.

Would you care to expand / explain the last paragraph, regarding yellow shirts and the armed protesters

Anyone know why the Men In Black are covering the CCTV cameras? The YouTube forum enlightening dry.png

Why people insist in living in the past after they have rewriten it is beyond me.

If I was to do that I think I would have picked a different time in history when people were building nations rather than attempting to tear them down. Bit I don't. I choose to live today. It is a nice day and shows promise of a nation being built by grass root people from all walks of life. Many years in the construction ahead of them but they are now aware and letting the corrupt people in power and the ones behind them know they are unsatisfied and want better.

Kinda like the American Revolution it took a long time to wake the people up to the point where they were willing to do some thing about it. When they did there oppressors did not have the military might to put them down so they went out and hired Germans to do the job for them. They had lots of people with titles but the real soldiers for the most part were mercenaries. (red shirts) in this day and age in Thailand.

edit spelling

Edited by hellodolly

What on earth are these people trying to do to their own country.Have some common sense and call it of before you destroy it.

They are trying to stop it from being destroyed.

Check back on their record of accomplishments then look at what there whole term in office has been about. Don't forget that the Prime Minister sanctioned the actions of a Minister of finance when he said it was OK to lie to the people if it made them feel good.

She had one of three options

1 Sack him immidiatly

2 Not reappoint him in her next cabinet reshuffle

3 Reappoint him in her next cabinet reshuffle.

She choose option number 3. Now I don't know what that tells you about the people in power but it sure tells me a lot. I was not a bit surprised because I was not asleep. But if I had been it would have been an real eye opener to me.

Even option number 2 would have been a big hint as to the kind of people we have in the government.

I for one do not think 48% of the population had that kind of government in mind when they voted PTPredshirt.

As I said to an earlier poster, "what has this got to do with my post ".When you have considered that,go back and have another look at your post #58.

I would agree that the correct option is to vote out an incompetent government at the next election, however lets remember that this government was not democratically voted in, in the first place.....to have done that they would have participated in fair and free elections that did not involve vote rigging, financial inducements and various forms of intimidation. If they came to power at the ballot box with fair and free elections as citizens of western countries are familiar with, then the correct democratic response is to wait to vote them out again. But if you are of the belief that the same result will apply at the next election due to exactly the same processes as last time, then I can understand why a large sector of the Thai population feel strongly that it is time to show this government the door. Other parties who may have better policies that could have changed the course of politics in this country will not get a look in if PT continue to believe that it is acceptable practice to manipulate elections. Vote buying must cease altogether so that politics focuses on policies and not powerful people and families who treat various parts of this country as their own personal fiefdoms.

PROOF please, not just willy nilly propaganda statements. Maybe you believe all that crap, but not everybody does. And let me assure you, both sides did things to help their cause. So get real and stop believing that the Yellows are "squeeky clean"

Enlighten me what have the Yellow shirts got to do with this. There day has come and gone. Today they are like a VFW group reminiscing about the good old days while they sit in chairs or on bar stools.

They saw a chance to get there name in the paper again based on the honest desire of the grass roots people of Thailand and decided to take it.

This is a demonstration supported by people from all different walks of life and political belief. They have even had red shirts on the stage supporting them. Put your glasses on they have no perticular color shirt to wear. Just an honest from their heart desire for a government to work for Thailand. Not a government bent on filling their own pockets and white washing their own criminals.

Edited by hellodolly
  • Like 1

Indeed, this is often claimed a the reason the PT government is in power. The people who vote for them are either uneducated (meaning that they would vote for the Dems if they weren't?) or were paid to vote PT, or both.

I've been in the north when voting has been going on, the Dems hardly even bother to turn up. They don't campaign, they don't do anything.

If anyone needed to buy votes in Chiang Rai, it would be the Dems. PT don't have to spend a single satang on election day to get votes up there. They actually do things for the people there, which is spending money, but not a few baht in their hands on polling day, they spend it on schools, roads, hospitals (all of which are free at the point of use). These are things that have real value to people, and have improved under this government.

The whole 'red voters are stupid country people' is one of the nastier inaccuracies that some people in Bangkok and the south like to pick up and spread around without actually finding out what things are really like in the PT heartlands. People up there aren't living in shanty towns in the mountains dressed in rags waiting for handouts in exchange for their thumbprints on pieces of paper they can't read.

• Like 1

Interesting ploy. As long as they don't burn anything down, or attack anyone, why not?

Interesting to see if the civil servants go back to work. Suthep should start appealing to the civil service to walk out. Can't do much governing without the gophers to run around for you.

In my best Ben Kingsley voice (from 'Sexy Beast'):

"No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, No!"

I need to renew my 5-year drivers license tomorrow and I will not be inconvenienced! mad.gif

Edited by cloghead

Just as a relevant slightly thread drifted question as I would like to know about safety for travel in Bangkok tomorrow (Wednesday)

I need to get from Victory Monument where the bus drops me (coming up from Rayong province) via the BTS to Saphan Taksin station in the Silom area and will be around lunchtime and returning by the same route to Rayong in the late afternoon. So I have to change trains at Siam BTS station of course.

I want to visit a shop close by to Saphan Taksin BTS station. Will that be a safe and clear area and travel route that is away from the protest sites? ? Answers will be very much appreciated as my geography of Bangkok is okay but still quite limited compared to you guys who live in the BKK area of course.