Ricky Hatton Fight 14 May

Ricky Hatton is fighting in the US next Saturday the 13th (US time). UBC does not have the fight listed, and as usual do not answer emails asking if they will be televising the fight (amazingly they did telvise the DeLaHoya fight today). Anyone got a line on whether CH 3 or 7 will pick it up?

Get in, he had Collazo down in 15 seconds, had to withstand late pressure but won on a unanimous points decision.

HATTON HANGS ON TO CLAIM WBA TITLE

Sunday 14th May 2006

Hatton: New WBA champ

Ricky Hatton survived an almighty scare to claim the WBA welterweight belt with a unanimous points win over Luis Collazo.

The Hitman's first fight as top of the bill in America nearly saw him lose his unbeaten record in a cracking contest at the TD Banknorth Garden.

Collazo, who was knocked down in the opening minute of the fight, provided plenty of problems for the Brit, particularly in the final round.

However, Hatton did enough to get the verdict in the eyes of the judges, with two officials scoring the bout 115-112 while the third gave it 114-113 in his favour.

Such close scores reflected just how tough the Mancunian found life as his first outing at welterweight proved to be no tea party in Boston.

Not even the vocal support of his supporters in the crowd or the heavy rain that had hit Massachusetts could make Hatton feel at home.

It was only his flying start that got him out of trouble as he set off at his usual frantic pace in an attempt to bully the champion into submission.

A sharp left sent Collazo to the canvas almost straight after the opening bell, leading the 27-year-old to sense the chance for a quick finish.

But, by the middle rounds, his come-forward approach played right into the hands of the boxer from Brooklyn.

The challenger's lack of head movement made him an easy target for Collazo, who had abandoned his early plan to box at distance and instead opted to stand toe-to-toe.

For the first time in his career, Hatton had to soak up continued pressure and his resolve was stretched to breaking point.

The New Yorker could hardly miss the target, particularly with his right hand, and several heavy shots to the head drew gasps from the crowd.

The Brooklyn-born boxer even had a smile on his face at the halfway stage and he came close to ending the fight in the 12th with a spectacular late flourish.

Hatton fell to the floor at one stage, only for the referee to adjudge that he had gone down because of the force of a push rather than a punch.

Somehow, despite his left eye almost being swollen shut, Hatton managed to survive the onslaught to reach the final bell.

His heart must have been in his mouth when the verdict was read out as the result could have gone either way.

When it was confirmed he was the new champion, it was a look of relief rather than satisfaction on his face as he moved to 41-0 as a professional.

Victory also moves him a step closer to some money-spinning fights in the future, although he will have to learn from this outing if he wants to live with the likes of Miguel Cotto and Floyd Mayweather Jnr.

redrus

Edited by redrus

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good fight. too bad we missed it. Glad to see Hatton pulled it out, I'd love to see him fight Arturo Gatti. Maybe later in the year after Gatti beats Baldomir in July.UBC is televising a few fights coming up over the next two months, including the Gatti fight. One they dont list is Larrios-Pacquiao from the Phillipines on 2nd July. That might be worth a trip to Manila!

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good fight. too bad we missed it. Glad to see Hatton pulled it out, I'd love to see him fight Arturo Gatti. Maybe later in the year after Gatti beats Baldomir in July.UBC is televising a few fights coming up over the next two months, including the Gatti fight. One they dont list is Larrios-Pacquiao from the Phillipines on 2nd July. That might be worth a trip to Manila!

LOL, maybe fella, maybe.

What you can be sure of is that Ricky will do whatever it takes to fight the best person he can, everytime he fights. He has also stated that he will probably only fight another 6 times, max. So, those 6 fights, if all go according to plan, will include Gatti and, end probably with the big one, Mayweather.

I'm sure he will have learned from this fight, I look forward to the next. :o

Well done Ricky.

redrus

He will beat Gatti , but will find it tough against Mayweather.

Agreed fella but, he seems to learn all the time and by heck he'll need to. I think he's got the nouse to go all the way though...... :o

redrus

He does seem to struggle outside of big fights. I just saw the fight and it wasn't his best performance by a long way but the scorecards and the above report flatter Collazo somewhat as they fail to mention that Hatton continually stopped Collazo in his tracks with vicious body shots and sharp combinations to the head and body. His biggest mistakes were not using his mobility or his jab anywhere near enough.

As Redrus says, Hatton has no ego about him and will take a lot from this fight.

Personally I would like to see Hatton/Gatti although their styles are too similar and Gatti is on the decline and could get hurt in a slugfest with Hatton.

I still think Hatton is at least a year away from Mayweather and the talk is of him stepping back down in weight and fighting the winner of Coralles/Castillio.

For my money I think it was a big step to go up in weight and fight straight away for a title after a long lay off so Hatton deserves Kudos for that.

I never seen the fight but heard he was getting a boxing lesson. The americans say that Hatton looked ordinary because he wasnt allowed to hold and rabit punch all fight like he could in britain.

Anyways mundine and green are fighting in 2 days, i cant wait

Personally I would like to see Hatton/Gatti although their styles are too similar and Gatti is on the decline and could get hurt in a slugfest with Hatton.

I still think Hatton is at least a year away from Mayweather and the talk is of him stepping back down in weight and fighting the winner of Coralles/Castillio.

For my money I think it was a big step to go up in weight and fight straight away for a title after a long lay off so Hatton deserves Kudos for that.

Hatton did show a lot take a tough fight away from home. And Collazo is not a bum by any means. A fight against Coralles- Castillo winner would be entertaining, either one would make a good fight.

Being from New Jersey, I would like to see Hatton - Gatti fight- depending on how he looks in July against Baldomir, a fight I think he'll win (although I've been a Gatti fan for years I hated to see him take the Mayweather fight - he had NO chance against a guy that fast).