Dual citizenship

KK-Mike

My Thai wife and I were married in the US, she now has both Thai and US passports. The Thai passport is in her maiden name. When we arrived in Thailand she used her Thai passport, what happens when she leaves?

Should she change her name in the Thai passport to match the US passport? Which I understand we will have to get married in Thailand to do?

HELP!

My Thai wife and I were married in the US, she now has both Thai and US passports. The Thai passport is in her maiden name. When we arrived in Thailand she used her Thai passport, what happens when she leaves?

Should she change her name in the Thai passport to match the US passport? Which I understand we will have to get married in Thailand to do?

HELP!

All she needs is a certified translation of your marriage certificate to have her passport amended to her new name

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by MikeOboe57

I am not sure about your concern.

She used the Thai passport to enter, use it to leave. I am not sure there is any reason to change the Thai passport.

Sent from my Xoom using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Agree. She uses her Thai passport when entering and leaving Thailand. Thai immigration will not even see her US passport, nor ask for it.

She used the Thai passport to enter, use it to leave. I am not sure there is any reason to change the Thai passport.

Agree. She uses her Thai passport when entering and leaving Thailand. Thai immigration will not even see her US passport, nor ask for it.

Actually, I may not be 100% correct. Your passport name is supposed to match the name on your boarding pass. Also, when a Thai goes to the US using a Thai passport, they may be asked for the visa. At that time, she can show her US passport. But whether there's a problem with the name difference, I'm not sure. Usually a Thai would have to show their Thai ID with the Thai passport, which has to match. Anyways, a little more to it than I thought.

Perhaps she should just arrive in Thailand using her US passport. Unless she has designs to stay for awhile.

Edited by Berkshire

What about the different name on the boarding pass? Or just maybe leave Thailand with

the US passport, except it is not stamped entering Thailand??

Use the Thai passport first, show the USA passport if asked?

Perhaps you could look at getting her an updated Thai passport...does Thailand recognize marriages of Thai citizens that fake place outside Thailand?

But then, she would be leaving on a different passport than she entered with as well...I am not sure how this would play.

Use the Thai passport first, show the USA passport if asked?

Perhaps you could look at getting her an updated Thai passport...does Thailand recognize marriages of Thai citizens that fake place outside Thailand?

But then, she would be leaving on a different passport than she entered with as well...I am not sure how this would play.

Maybe someone with dual citizenship will chime in.

Seems like to get the name changed in her passport we have to go to Bangkok and get married

then at that time they will want the house paper ID, land paper etc changed. a lot of time and money, must be an easier way.

Do you know for a fact that you would have to get married here? ( I do not know).

Even if so, that is not a major inconvenience.

The easier way would have been for her to keep her maiden name when you married in USA.

Getting her name changed on the various government documents is a pain, but not expensive, just time consuming and aggravating. The hardest thing to change ended up being the electric service. And the water utility flatly refused to change anything...that billing is still in the name of the person my wife bought the house from 12 years ago.