Toto Concert Cancelled!

:o Scheduled for Wenesday...neither Thai Ticket master nor the Toto web site give a reason. Too bad, I had decent seats. I'm not a big 80's arena rock band fan but was looking forward to seeing Lukather wail on his guitar. :D

The Dude digs Toto. The Dude regrets that Toto has cancelled the show. The Dude feels the OPs pain. The Dude's sequence of events tonight:

The Dude leaves dwelling at 11:30 PM to pick up a beer. He walks by Foodland and sees what he thinks is a Toto Live in Concert poster on the door. Upon closer inspection he verifies that in fact said poster is about a Toto Live in BKK concert. The Dude had no idea Toto was to be playing in BKK. The Dude sees that concert is to happen the very next night. He races home to check ticketmaster Toto tix. He sees that said show has been cancelled. The Dude scraps shovels set aside to dig Toto show with. The Dude visits Toto website and BKK show is not listed. The Dude reads reviews of '06 Toto shows around the globe. The Dude notes that reviews are rave. The Dude bums out that he cannot check out said show. He feels that BKK show was not promoted properly thus resulting in poor ticket sales, hence show cancellation. Tis a major bummer says The Dude. The Toto live 2002 DVD has footage from Asian leg of that tour including some clips from the BKK arena in the special features section. The DVD demonstrates how good Toto performs nowadays.

The Dude digs Toto. The Dude regrets that Toto has cancelled the show. The Dude feels the OPs pain. The Dude's sequence of events tonight:

The Dude leaves dwelling at 11:30 PM to pick up a beer. He walks by Foodland and sees what he thinks is a Toto Live in Concert poster on the door. Upon closer inspection he verifies that in fact said poster is about a Toto Live in BKK concert. The Dude had no idea Toto was to be playing in BKK. The Dude sees that concert is to happen the very next night. He races home to check ticketmaster Toto tix. He sees that said show has been cancelled. The Dude scraps shovels set aside to dig Toto show with. The Dude visits Toto website and BKK show is not listed. The Dude reads reviews of '06 Toto shows around the globe. The Dude notes that reviews are rave. The Dude bums out that he cannot check out said show. He feels that BKK show was not promoted properly thus resulting in poor ticket sales, hence show cancellation. Tis a major bummer says The Dude. The Toto live 2002 DVD has footage from Asian leg of that tour including some clips from the BKK arena in the special features section. The DVD demonstrates how good Toto performs nowadays.

I can dig your enthusiasm Dude but what did they record that a mid 50s dude could dig (appreciate?)...

there was an early 70s band called Toto...the same? (Ritchie Furay and etc and some folks from Buffalo Springfield?)

I can dig your enthusiasm Dude but what did they record that a mid 50s dude could dig (appreciate?)...

there was an early 70s band called Toto...the same? (Ritchie Furay and etc and some folks from Buffalo Springfield?)

Well tuts, you would know "hold the line", "Africa" and "rosanna", toto's biggest hits. Buff Springfield kicks ass and is an all time fav of mine for sure. Below is lyrics from hold the line

Hold The Line

It's not in the way that you hold me, it's not in the way you say you care

It's not in the way you've been treating my friends

It's not in the way that you stayed till the end

It's not in the way you look or the things that you say that you'll do

Chorus:

Hold the line, love isn't always on time, oh oh oh

Hold the line, love isn't always on time, oh oh oh

It's not in the words that you told me, girl

It's not in the way you say you're mine, ooh

It's not in the way that you came back to me

It's not in the way that your love set me free

Chorus

(Instrumental break)

It's not in the words that you told me

It's not in the way you say you're mine, ooh

It's not in the way that you came back to me

It's not in the way that your love set me free

Chorus - love isn't always on time

Hold the line, love isn't always on time -

love isn't always, love isn't always on time

Hold the line, love isn't always on time, love isn't always on time

Love isn't always on time, love isn't always on time, oh oh oh

At the Billy Cobham concert last night I asked the Thai ticket master girl why the cancellation. She replied "sick". But it was kind of cool because some of the Toto members, including Lukather and Phillinganes, were there at the concert (Phil larger than expected, Luke smaller!) and wildly cheering on the band.

So, Mr. Dude, they won't be playing tonight but the band -- or at least some of them -- are in town. Youi might check Patpong tonight.

Oh and the Richie Furay band was Poco.

Peace :o

I never really took to Toto, more of a Zep Freak. But Lukather is a fretboard genius for sure.

:D

Absolutely! In Singapore I found a Lukather-Larry Carlton CD, "Live in Osaka" recorded around 1998 that is mind-blowing. Believe me, if you heard this you'd never suspect that Luke plays in middle-of-the-road band like Toto. You'd be thinking...do I hear Jimi??

Oh and Mr. Dude, my man. The only way to find out what concerts are on in Bangers is to check Thai ticketmaster often, at least twice a week. By the time these concerts are announced in the local English language press tickets have sometimes been on sale for weeks!! No kidding! And of course all the good seats are gone.

Another good source for concert information is the guitar magazine Overdrive. It's all in Thai, but it's easy enough to figure out the concert ads. (They've been apparently talking about an upcoming Steve Vai concert? :o But not confirmed.) Anyway, it's only 56 baht and available at any newsstand.

Edited by dekestone

I'd imagine ticket sales weren't that good so they cancelled. There's only one or two Toto songs I can think of.

Possibly, but they've played in Bangkok before and sold well. And the last ticket master "seats available" I looked at had a lot of seats sold. But who knows all the behind the scenes details of putting on a concert. Interesting that only Bangkok and Surabaya (May 12) were cancelled. All of the rest of the Asian shows are still scheduled.

mmmm.......

During the lunch break I went to Ticketmaster to get my refund and asked again, why the cancellation. The girl there said it was because of "kaan muang", i.e., "politics" or maybe "the political situation".

:D

That's what she said, though of course that doesn't mean it's true.

Maybe the newspapers will have something in the next day or two. :o