American Kid's Going To School In Thailand?

How long do you plan to have the kids studying in Thailand?

What is their age?

Do they have any background in Thai language

Have they been to Thailand?

What is their current school arrangements?

At least fill in these blanks, and someone will be able to help you better with precise information :o

:D

How long do you plan to have the kids studying in Thailand?

What is their age?

Do they have any background in Thai language

Have they been to Thailand?

What is their current school arrangements?

At least fill in these blanks, and someone will be able to help you better with precise information :D

--Sorry about that :o

I have two daughters 12 and 13 who do not speak Thai (except the polite stuff- hello, thank you ,how much ect...) we visited Thailand for a month in Jan/feb.06 and fell in love with it.We are returning to Thailand in July this year for another month to explore and see if it's a place we really want to live.

We would like to stay at least a year in Thailand, maybe in Phuket or Ko Samui where we have friends living now(they don't have children).I have an income from the U.S that would allow us to live there comfortably. My girl's go to public school here in Seattle but would be up to going to privet or public school in Thailand.

After visiting Thailand I could not stop thinking that it may be a much better place to raise my girls for a while, after experiencing the Thai's appreciation for the family and elders,their open hearts and love for their country and King. Not to mention there's not multiple murders and extreme crimes happening EVERY NIGHT and generally very little respect for family and elders like there is here.

Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated :D

take off your rose tinted glasses ....

check out all the threads about thai school edu. including the private schools etc..,

there is crime just like in the states, but if u dont read thai, then u wont know about it...

twelve and thirteen are really bad times to move kids in shcools unless they are really into an adventure or its a must for u... teenage years are bad as it is... if u are alternative education types, i dont think the thai private shcools will fit your desires; if u arent alternative, go with the flow types, why would u just pick up and move w/o really studying the place alot first? u could always homeschool i suppose since america has such things...

dont forget teenagers like to have peers that are similar to them, not different (different is good but not in forced large doses); etc etc etc...

After visiting Thailand I could not stop thinking that it may be a much better place to raise my girls for a while, after experiencing the Thai's appreciation for the family and elders,their open hearts and love for their country and King. Not to mention there's not multiple murders and extreme crimes happening EVERY NIGHT and generally very little respect for family and elders like there is here.

and your kids wont learn parental respect from the thais, only from you. and yaa baa use is rampant in thailand even among teenagers; as is shallowness, the desire to spend money on skin whiteners, money as status definers, etc etc etc.... you might want to cruise around the forum here to see both sides and not just the romantic smiley side before moving...

just my 'snippitiy' two cents

sorry guys, spent 4 hours with sick lamb, tired and cranky, just relaxing on the forum, good nite

bina

israel

Edited by bina

take off your rose tinted glasses ....

check out all the threads about thai school edu. including the private schools etc..,

there is crime just like in the states, but if u dont read thai, then u wont know about it...

twelve and thirteen are really bad times to move kids in shcools unless they are really into an adventure or its a must for u... teenage years are bad as it is... if u are alternative education types, i dont think the thai private shcools will fit your desires; if u arent alternative, go with the flow types, why would u just pick up and move w/o really studying the place alot first? u could always homeschool i suppose since america has such things...

dont forget teenagers like to have peers that are similar to them, not different (different is good but not in forced large doses); etc etc etc...

and your kids wont learn parental respect from the thais, only from you. and yaa baa use is rampant in thailand even among teenagers; as is shallowness, the desire to spend money on skin whiteners, money as status definers, etc etc etc.... you might want to cruise around the forum here to see both sides and not just the romantic smiley side before moving...

just my 'snippitiy' two cents

sorry guys, spent 4 hours with sick lamb, tired and cranky, just relaxing on the forum, good nite

bina

israel

I think Bina is being a bit harsh here.

I have four children. 14, 11 and twins, 7. They all go to a small but growing international school in Phuket. The environment is very supportive, the academic standards are very high and I couldn't be more pleased.

My children are not exposed to ya bah use or skin whiteners and it is our job as parents to make sure they are grounded and respectful. We think that Phuket is a very good place to raise our children. There is much less pressure for them to be "cool" and do crappy stuff that every other teenager back home is doing.

Good luck with your decision.

could be but in other posts of his others responded the same (i only saw today)...

sorry for your loss gary (only read that today also)

but i still think that a move like this after tragedy just makes the move more difficult especially if your girls are getting any kind of outside help for coping (social worker psychologist etc) or if htey may need these services etc in english....

i always play the devil's advocate and choose the worst case scenarios first; israelis say: difficult in the practice, easy in the fight....

i am assuming of course that their mother was thai?? there is family in thailand (aunts etc?) etc etc...

could be but in other posts of his others responded the same (i only saw today)...

sorry for your loss gary (only read that today also)

but i still think that a move like this after tragedy just makes the move more difficult especially if your girls are getting any kind of outside help for coping (social worker psychologist etc) or if htey may need these services etc in english....

i always play the devil's advocate and choose the worst case scenarios first; israelis say: difficult in the practice, easy in the fight....

i am assuming of course that their mother was thai?? there is family in thailand (aunts etc?) etc etc...

Thank you all for your posts,I appreciate all your views, even the(not so) Harsh ones.

-----First I do realize Thailand is not perfect and does have crime and yes yaa baa(Meth here in the states) and murder ect... Although if you check these rates against cities in the U.S it's much lower than Thailands.I did much walking around Bangkok and other cities at night while we were there and from my experience found it much safer than Seattle,no one offered me drugs,sex,or seemed overly intimidating which happens all the time here in the states (a friend of mine was recently hospitalized just for saying hello to someone downtown here,EVERY morning I wake up hearing about another shooting,rape or abduction this list goes on and on....).I know there's crime in Thailand I believe it's just not as prevalent as it is in the here, it seems most Thais don't appear to be as "hel_l bent on killing each other".

I also realize kids learn respect(and more) from their parents. I'm blessed my girls have respect for others, although living in a place where elders are cast aside like an old pair of shoes,your not cool unless you have the newest car, i-pod,or cell phone ect..doesn't make it any easier.

Our experience (and some good Thai friend's) from talking to kid's there they are not as caught up in this vicious cycle as they are here in the states, although I know this happens to some degree every where.It seems Thai people (even the very poor) are much more grateful for what they have than I've seen in the here in the U.S,Canada,and most of Europe.

As far as schooling go's, unless your in one of the top privet schools here in the U.S most of our schools are failing our kids(according to our own statistics) collage is another thing.

my children and I are coping with the loss of their mother(almost 2 yrs.ago) quite well,they really seem to want to move to Thailand for a while (not forever)and we are taking it slow traveling there a few times before making any real decisions.

I do appreciate the devil's advocate roll (i do it myself often)that's why Im trying to get as much feed back as possible from all kinds of people.I appreciate any other advice on schools,Visas,and other?

Thank you all soo much-- GARY and KIDS :o P.S their mother was not Thai

Anyone have advice on american kid's going to school in Thailand on a tourist visa? are there any public schools they can attend, or just private?

Any advice on moving kid's to Thailand would be greatly appreciated>

I have already given a longish answer to your earlier question regarding moving to Thailand, that answer is my best advice – and it is just that ADVICE

What I have to say here is a very serious WARNING and please do not ignore it.

If you are considering moving your children to live in Thailand on a Tourist Visa, you are running the risk of being caught up in the frequent crack downs on visas and residence.

Your children will not be able to legally enter the educational system, they in any case do not have access to the State Education System.

There is also a real danger that you could be deported or just as bad, detained in the Immigration Detention Centre (IDC) for any number of infringements.

Please take the advice I have given you and speak to a grief councilor and the rest of your family/friends about your plans.

Above all speak to your daughters and LISTEN

If they don't speak Thai then they can't go to the local schools, so the only choice is an international school.

If it's between Samui and Phuket, then Phuket is your only choice. the international schools are good, Dulwhich comes to mind.

If I could afford it I would send my children to an International school in Bangkok. I used to teach in an international school in China and am familiar with many teachers and schools in Bangkok, all schools have good and bad but do your research and you will find a school that suits your needs.

:o

If you contact the school in Phuket (Once called Dulwich, now the British Curriculum International School or BCIS) then they will be able to arrange an Eductaion visa for your kids, and give you all the details. Look at the website: www.bcis.ac.th and there are contact details on the site. They offer boarding too, full time or temporary, so if you want to take off on a tour during school term, your kids can stay at school.

An inquiry doesn't cost anything!

Being on a tourist visa would be a pain in the butt.

Try what someone else said and look into visa'a for education. See what is available for your kids to be educated and learn about thai and thai language. They do have visas for this, but not sure how it covers the parent. You then might be able to look at a language visa yourself and go to school a few days a week to learn Thai yourself, i know you can get a 12 motnh visa for this, but not sure on the actual attendance requirements.

Contaqct the schools and some language schools also and ask.

Once you come here, and settle, a tourist visa is just wrong. My neighbor is here with her two teenagers, and one mistake on her kid's visa cost her about 19,000 baht. You'll have three visas to keep up with, and three passports. You would not believe how many adults have trouble with their own visa and passport here, in spite of being reasonably diligent.

As on the other thread, I'll pretend to play angel's advocate and say no, don't bring them here. One thing I learned in raising six children to adulthood is that some moves are very traumatic.

One more thing: your name is "Gary&Kids" which is great. But are you sure this is what the girls want, or primarily what you think they want?

Anyway, good luck to you all.

If you contact the school in Phuket (Once called Dulwich, now the British Curriculum International School or BCIS) then they will be able to arrange an Eductaion visa for your kids, and give you all the details. Look at the website: www.bcis.ac.th and there are contact details on the site. They offer boarding too, full time or temporary, so if you want to take off on a tour during school term, your kids can stay at school.

I think you'll find most International schools will arrange such a visa.

Once you come here, and settle, a tourist visa is just wrong. My neighbor is here with her two teenagers, and one mistake on her kid's visa cost her about 19,000 baht. You'll have three visas to keep up with, and three passports. You would not believe how many adults have trouble with their own visa and passport here, in spite of being reasonably diligent.

As on the other thread, I'll pretend to play angel's advocate and say no, don't bring them here. One thing I learned in raising six children to adulthood is that some moves are very traumatic.

One more thing: your name is "Gary&Kids" which is great. But are you sure this is what the girls want, or primarily what you think they want?

Anyway, good luck to you all.

---------Good question Peaceblonde. Both my kid’s and I really loved Thailand. My oldest daughter (13) is not quite as sure as my youngest (12) about moving anywhere, but she really liked Thailand a lot. I am moving them from the school their at now because it’s just not a very good middle-school and high-school at all even though we live in a good school district :o just out side of Seattle. She has expressed that she would rather move to Thailand than to Seattle or most any other place we’ve been.

I do realize when living somewhere it’s easy to pick out all the negative points of any city, just like I would not recommend you raising your kids here. I’ve traveled a bit and never saw such unity before, family’s eating together weather it be at their shops they own, on the streets for an event, or at their homes. A Thai friend said to me “family is much more important and respected their” unlike most of the U.S., what I saw of this was not just show for tourist either (unless the whole of Thailand is in on it) and I believe my girl’s picked up on this, as well as how differently they treat each other (better, we think).

Again, we are traveling there this July for another (1 month) visit to check it out more, I will look much closer this time to see through the “tourist act’ they might be putting on for me, as I’ve heard “most of them are”?? as well as seeing passed my "rose-colored glasses".

I appreciate yours and everyone’s advice peaceblonde….. thanks so much. :D

If you contact the school in Phuket (Once called Dulwich, now the British Curriculum International School or BCIS)

And while your at it, do an inquiry WHY it is not call Dulwich anymore. Or a google search will also enlighten you.

"Recently the school's franchise in Phuket ended its association with Dulwich due to disagreements over the curriculum" is a friendly way of saying it su..ed.

And according to their own website:

"BCIS is also applying for accreditation from CIS (Council of International Schools) in the near future."

That line is there almost a half year. Probably near future is when the students are already having their uncredited degree.

A year for two children will cost you around 1.5 - 2 million baht.

Edited by Khun Jean

Thank you all for your posts,I appreciate all your views, even the(not so) Harsh ones.

-----First I do realize Thailand is not perfect and does have crime and yes yaa baa(Meth here in the states) and murder ect... Although if you check these rates against cities in the U.S it's much lower than Thailands.I did much walking around Bangkok and other cities at night while we were there and from my experience found it much safer than Seattle,no one offered me drugs,sex,or seemed overly intimidating which happens all the time here in the states (a friend of mine was recently hospitalized just for saying hello to someone downtown here,EVERY morning I wake up hearing about another shooting,rape or abduction this list goes on and on....).I know there's crime in Thailand I believe it's just not as prevalent as it is in the here, it seems most Thais don't appear to be as "hel_l bent on killing each other".

To get a more accurate ideal of crime in Thailand vs. the U.S. you should compare it to the whole of Texas, which is approx. the same size as Thailand. Texas however had 23+% more crime than the rest of the U.S. In 2005 it reportedly had dropped some. http://www.nicic.org/StateCorrectionsStatistics/TX.htm

Crime among thais is pretty high here, and over the last 20+ years the types of crime have changed too. However, in my opinion crime against foreigners is way higher than it should be also. It seems everyday there is some foreigner in Pattaya that is killed or "committed suicide".......however Pattaya isn't the only place this happens.

You just have to be aware of what's happening around you whether in the states or Thailand. The advantage in the states for your girls at the age they are now, is that they understand language there. I think raising kids from infants here vs. bringing them when they are half grown is a different kettle of fish altogether.

With two girls i would be particularly cautious.

JM2CW

Beachbunny

And while your at it, do an inquiry WHY it is not call Dulwich anymore. Or a google search will also enlighten you.

There was a difference in management style between Dulwich Uk and the Thai Board.

"Recently the school's franchise in Phuket ended its association with Dulwich due to disagreements over the curriculum" is a friendly way of saying it su..ed.

No it didn't and doesn't now. Do you have / did you have direct involvement in the school? Can you qualify this comment?

"BCIS is also applying for accreditation from CIS (Council of International Schools) in the near future."

That line is there almost a half year. Probably near future is when the students are already having their uncredited degree.

It takes over a year from the initial visit to being granted CIS accreditation, as a huge amount of paperwork is involved.

Year 11 students come out with International GCSEs and they are certified by the Cambridge Exam Board.

Year 13 leave with International Baccalaureate Diplomas or Certificates. These are fully recognised, are better than UK A levels and will get studetns to their university of choice anywhere aroung the world.

A bit high that, but it is not cheap. If you want good teachers and good facilities you have to pay. After all, if the Teacher salaries were no good, we wouldn't be here. As the old saying goes - Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

CIS accreditation process takes several years and the paperwork is HUGE (having just gone through it). Khun Jean you need to stop being so negative about places like this (which you are in all your posts that I've read). I've never worked there but I've never heard anything that bad about it .... in fact I have a friend working in a very good job at a very good school in bangkok considering moving and working there.

Gary&kids ... I think you are right to find out all the information first and ask other's opinions. I'll second what lots of others have said and do try and find out ways to be legal here (rather than on a tourist visa) and investigate all schooling/living options for your family and make sure that moving here is 100% definitely what your kids want as well as you.

When you come out in July, arrange some visits with some schools and make sure your daughters go along too.. Any international school would be happy to show you around - the only downside is that the pupils will be on holiday so you won't get to see the school in action, although you should be able to get a 'feel' of the school by looking around the classrooms and displays of pupils work. Try and arrange visits at Thai & private schools (not sure if how easy this is to arrange). I've only been to a few Thai schools, but my impression is that they are very different to western schools .... I can't imagine girls of your daughter's age feeling comfortable being thrown into this situation (older exchange students are a different story).

Also, be aware that, while at first having a 'farang' in the class will be a novelty, this novelty may soon wear off and unless your girls are very confident and pick up the language quickly, they may soon be left alone and possibly friendless. This even happens in international schools where the majority of children are Thai. Many teenagers at my school find themselves lonely and depressed without the circle of friends they are used to back home. However, just as many fit in perfectly and love it here and are exposed to so many more opportunities and experiences than they would ever have had back home.

Probably the best thing would be to have an open mind when you come and make sure your children all understand that, if after a giving it a reasonable go they are not happy living in Thailand, then you will move back to the States. Maybe make a plan before you come and decide how long a 'reasonable' length of time would be and what sort of things/feelings would constitute the decision to move back. That way, you can come and it won't matter if it doesn't work out, as your kids will know they can always return home if things get bad.

CIS accreditation process takes several years and the paperwork is HUGE (having just gone through it). Khun Jean you need to stop being so negative about places like this (which you are in all your posts that I've read). I've never worked there but I've never heard anything that bad about it .... in fact I have a friend working in a very good job at a very good school in bangkok considering moving and working there.

Gary&kids ... I think you are right to find out all the information first and ask other's opinions. I'll second what lots of others have said and do try and find out ways to be legal here (rather than on a tourist visa) and investigate all schooling/living options for your family and make sure that moving here is 100% definitely what your kids want as well as you.

When you come out in July, arrange some visits with some schools and make sure your daughters go along too.. Any international school would be happy to show you around - the only downside is that the pupils will be on holiday so you won't get to see the school in action, although you should be able to get a 'feel' of the school by looking around the classrooms and displays of pupils work. Try and arrange visits at Thai & private schools (not sure if how easy this is to arrange). I've only been to a few Thai schools, but my impression is that they are very different to western schools .... I can't imagine girls of your daughter's age feeling comfortable being thrown into this situation (older exchange students are a different story).

Also, be aware that, while at first having a 'farang' in the class will be a novelty, this novelty may soon wear off and unless your girls are very confident and pick up the language quickly, they may soon be left alone and possibly friendless. This even happens in international schools where the majority of children are Thai. Many teenagers at my school find themselves lonely and depressed without the circle of friends they are used to back home. However, just as many fit in perfectly and love it here and are exposed to so many more opportunities and experiences than they would ever have had back home.

Probably the best thing would be to have an open mind when you come and make sure your children all understand that, if after a giving it a reasonable go they are not happy living in Thailand, then you will move back to the States. Maybe make a plan before you come and decide how long a 'reasonable' length of time would be and what sort of things/feelings would constitute the decision to move back. That way, you can come and it won't matter if it doesn't work out, as your kids will know they can always return home if things get bad.

That is all great advice Sylvafern …………….

Thank you very much :o

There was a difference in management style between Dulwich Uk and the Thai Board.

Exactly, the UK management trying to uphold some standards worthy of the name Dulwich, the Thai management trying to make as much profit as posible cutting corners.

No it didn't and doesn't now. Do you have / did you have direct involvement in the school? Can you qualify this comment?

Well it is a quote from an official news source. Google is your friend.

It takes over a year from the initial visit to being granted CIS accreditation, as a huge amount of paperwork is involved.

They going to apply in the future. In my knowledge of the English language it means it still has to be done. As it is not it will take much longer than a year to get the accreditation.

Year 11 students come out with International GCSEs and they are certified by the Cambridge Exam Board.

Year 13 leave with International Baccalaureate Diplomas or Certificates. These are fully recognised, are better than UK A levels and will get studetns to their university of choice anywhere aroung the world.

This must be recent as it was not the case a year ago. I checked that personally.

A bit high that, but it is not cheap. If you want good teachers and good facilities you have to pay. After all, if the Teacher salaries were no good, we wouldn't be here. As the old saying goes - Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

That was exactly what was happening! There were walking a few teachers around with "red" noses.

My information is almost a year old. Hopefully it changed. I would double check it.

The one on Samui never started, it is still just a big billboard on a piece of land.

Dear Khun Jean,

The crunch of the take over was due to a power struggle. Both the owners and Dulwich wanted the power to hire and fire the Headmaster. Both sides would not budge, so they split company.

No newspaper article ever said the school su..ed as you put it. The school was good, and as we have basically the same teachers and students, the basic make up has not changed. In fact some facilities have been improved. The school is going from strength to strength.

CIS visited last year. They told us to change a few governance issues, and they are due back for another visit before the end of this academic year.

The exams have always been officially certified. The change in name did not effect this at all. The exam boards were notified and consulted every step of the way. How you personally checked it out, I don't know.

Please do not believe everything you read in the newspapers and see on the internet...

Hope this clears things up.

Scubamatt72

• 1 month later...

Hi Gary&Kids,

What I suggest to EVERYbody is an extended stay 6 mo. or better. A move with your kids especially. I find it hard to advise people with kids, I don't have any, but I remember being one, if just barely! The respect and comfort level that you feel here may be a result of your attraction to the Thai life that you felt as a visitor. If you are involved heavily in your kids education, then they are probably fine in the WA state educational system. Children almost invariably benefit from travel and exposure to other cultures, but obviously need to be balanced with appropriate stability, you are best qualified to judge your own kids' abilities and preferences. I guess I'm just warning you against rash decisions, I've lived here for 3 years and am happy, but had a good solid understanding of what I was leaving (intermittently).

Best of luck!

DD

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gary&Kids..

As pointed out it will cost you at least $50,000 in the first year alone (includes 2 one-time 'entry-fee' registrations). You didn't flinch. Most of us gasp..Yet you ask some pretty, er, 'innocent' questions - fair enough, you don't live here.

I mean this in a polite way...so don't feel insulted. But how do naive people get so rich? I must be the naive one.. because I can't afford a house here, never mind drop 50-grand for a 'sight-seeing' education for my kids.

My two cents.

Where do you plan on sending your kids to college?

I understand a change of scenery and environment for your kids, but there are smaller towns/communities in the states, where kids are brought up minding their parents. In which case the change of scenery would be less traumatic.