Unemployment In Thailand

Tyrone_BKK

I was wondering if anyone knew the secret to Thailand? No matter where you go all over the country the malls or shopping centers are jam packed full of people! It does not matter what day of the week it is. Millions of people walking around with a dazed look in their eyes. And there is ALWAYS traffic. Where are they going and what do they do? How do these people afford to have such a leisure lifestyle?..Has anyone else thought about this?

Two Causes:

1 - Free Airconditioned Environment in Shopping Malls - I know a number of Thais who say they go to shopping malls to enjoy 'free air'.

2 - Shopping Mall Area to Population Density - There are not actually that many shopping malls/centers, so the crowds are bigger, but in fewer places.

The dazed look and aimless wandering comes from not having any money to spend so they wander around aimlessly.

A bit like old foreigners in Pattaya when the US Navy is in town - got the money but nowhere to spend it :o

A lot of folks are self employed as well. Myself, I avoid grocery shopping, the fitness club, and going out in general on weekends and if possible and not eating out during "normal" lunch and dinner hours. Makes for a much more comfortable, less crowded, less waiting lifestyle (and yes, there will still be plenty of folks out and and about).

:o

I think the underground economy here is as large or larger than the aboveground economy.

Speaking of malls, it is a good idea to avoid them and other similar venues on the first Fri/Sat/Sun after payday at the end of the month. Every once in a while I forget to do that, much to my regret. When to Future Park the first weekend after payday and it was jammed by 11AM, total chaos trying to get into to park, etc. Following week-back to normal.

...How do these people afford to have such a leisure lifestyle? Has anyone else thought about this?
Tyrone_BKK, did you ever thought about, that, when you wake up at about 8-9:30 in the morning nearly 50% of the workingclass already finished their workday?? The dazed looks are the typical night-shift look.

Leisure lifestyle? Don't project from yourself to others :o .

...How do these people afford to have such a leisure lifestyle? Has anyone else thought about this?
Tyrone_BKK, did you ever thought about, that, when you wake up at about 8-9:30 in the morning nearly 50% of the workingclass already finished their workday?? The dazed looks are the typical night-shift look.

Absolutely correct. At least in Pattaya lots of people work at night. Just go out to the tourist areas of any big city in thailand and you'l see loads of people working at night. The other 30% just don't go to work. I have a cop living on my street that porks at the provincial court. he has weekends off as the courts don't work on Sat. Sundays and holidays. I swear this guy is off from work more than he works. TIT

Barry

Also, any day of the week is somebody's day off. It's not all 9-5, Monday to Friday. This is in contrast to the UK, where shopping centres don't open during the week cos people are too busy at work to be able to go.

And who said shopping was leisurely? I hate traipsing round such places. It's either in, find what you want, buy it and out, or in, sit down in a coffee shop facing outwards and watch the girls go by. :o

In any 5+ or 10+ Million city in the world it's always busy, also in shopping malls.

And....especially in the very hot months of the year I just LOVE to cool off in an airconditioned mall or shop also...not just the Thai :o

LaoPo

Funny how sensitive some of you guys get. :D When in fact i have asked dozens of Thai's from all socio-economic backgrounds that could not answer this question.

I know exactly what you mean Tyrone, my friend's and I ask this question every day and have been for a few year's, many of the farang here are so tied up with eating shagging ect ect, they don't realy understand your question. underground economy does seem to be most likely tho ?

Lomarks answer was closer to the truth IMHO lomarks Enlishg for sure..

"Also, any day of the week is somebody's day off. It's not all 9-5, Monday to Friday. This is in contrast to the UK, where shopping centres don't open during the week cos people are too busy at work to be able to go.

And who said shopping was leisurely? I hate traipsing round such places. It's either in, find what you want, buy it and out, or in, sit down in a coffee shop facing outwards and watch the girls go by."

I loved sitting down and watching the uni girsl go by clip clopping by in their clicky shoes, short black skirts and skin tight white shirts! Oh heaven.......

Tyrone Bkk = Tyrone D? such a sensitive yank in plain english spoken by an english man you are a muppet