Pattaya Survival Tips & Tricks

Gone

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great comments but I was hoping this could be Pattaya specific as a lot of the great ideas are smart all over Thailand and the world really.

If you are like me and don't read many of the other forums on TV then sure this is great to tell folk as it has already reminded some people especially the laminated PP.

I guess another one would be to b-line around transformer boxes on beach road sidewalk. lol

So is it 20 baht to go from let's say Pattaya Klang to past Na Jomtien? Can anyone confirm if it is only the White ones on Sukhumvit rd?

Another one for musicians is there is a GREAT guitar mechanic named Mike behind Foodland or accessable behind Big-C Extra.

Also a great little (well not so little) Music store off of Pattaya Klang on the right headed towards the beach just before Foodland on soi ...... dam_n it just left my brain. Is it soi Town & Country or something like that?

A guitar mechanic???? Why would you need one? Unless you are useless with a guitar.

Not that I would ever let you actually touch my Martin but how much would you charge to replace the original nut and bridge with ones that you have made from a bone, block and carve them down to perfection and set up the action to perfection?

What would you charge to instal a pick-up in a resonator bottle-neck guitar? What do you charge to set up the intunation on a Yamaha 12-string?

I think the only thing useless is your input to this thread mate.

• Like 1

"Also a great little (well not so little) Music store off of Pattaya Klang on the right headed towards the beach just before Foodland on soi ...... dam_n it just left my brain. Is it soi Town & Country or something like that?

A guitar mechanic???? Why would you need one? Unless you are useless with a guitar."

That is a bit of arrogance that serves no purpose other than to somehow impress yourself I would guess. It is not necessary to be a wiz auto mechanic in order to be a good driver, which would be a similar analogy. We generally call a person like that a "guitar tech" and many top flight bands travel with their own personal guitar tech. Some people are not comfortable nor wish to acquire the ability to set up and/or mod a guitar. I do my own, btw. I didn't know of a good tech and didn't want to trust someone that probably has less ability than myself to play with my babies. So I learned on my own.

I think I know the shop, but would be nice if name and address could be posted.

I will send you his adress and phone number in a private message. His name is Mike and trust me he is not your average guitar Tech (better word then mechanic). He is quite brilliant and a very nice cool older Thai guy.

I would compare his work with let's say a Martin Tech back in America and his prices are very reasonable but you might have to wait a few days as he gets quite a lot of business and doesn't pawn his work off on an apprentice or any other help. He does it all himself.

Martins do not come with real bone bridges and nuts any more so he took mine and took 2 blockes of bone and machined (and sanded) them down and set up the action on mine so it played like a dream for only 1000 baht.

If you ride a motorcycle in Pattaya always wear a good quality full face crash helmet. Pattaya's roads are dangerous.

There are dozens of dead people who would still be around to enjoy life's amazing gifts had they simply invested B2K or so in a quality helmet rather than the cheap plastic shit that only serve to prevent police fines.

• Like 1

Population 65,000?

Great thread! ... I've got to do that copy and laminate your passport ID page, visa page, entry stamp and arrival card and carry the copy with you

... but I also question the 65,000 figure ... blink.png ... I suppose it's just their way of counting the Folk.

I used to do the laminate thing, after shrinking the scanner .jpgs, but your extension stamps and TM card change too often. It's just a lot more convenient to photocopy, cut out (therefore the same size--cops like that) parts, staple back-to-back, fold, and put in a small baggie, stapled shut. Fits in a pocket just fine.

• Like 1

more tips:

- if you are renting something, then take a camera to the rental shop and make pictures of the car/motorcycle from every angle. This will rule out bogus claims for damages

- don't rent a jetski

- if inspite of the above advice you still rent a jetski, insist that the owner puts it up on the beach on the sand so you can inspect and make photos of the parts of the jetski that are normally immerged.

Here is another tip, for longer stayers, as it has been getting harder and harder to get decent food in Pattaya for a fair price, once I find a few good places I stick to them, but still keep a few healthy things in my room, to avoid eating junk from the 7-11 or worse, some of the street food which may be tasty but the quality of the ingredients is very questionable.The supermarkets like Big C and Tesco are conveniently located and you can get good bread, cheese, ham, fruit etc so you have something healthy "at home" in the morning and evening. Saves money and better for your health.

Keep yourself to yourself and don't get to friendly with everyone because it will bite you in the arse.

Now there's a bright and positive attitude about life. Hope you aren't too lonely ... or maybe you like it like that.

Here is a link from a post I made in TV last year regarding Mike the Guitar Mechanic with his business card picture and map but I will repost pictures now:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/575266-mike-the-guitar-mechanic/

Here is pictures below;

PS: Note the store hours hahahha I think that might be wrong but I went at 3:00pm

post-147691-0-12417200-1386581423_thumb.

post-147691-0-12152200-1386581455_thumb.

Edited by Gone

Great comments but I was hoping this could be Pattaya specific as a lot of the great ideas are smart all over Thailand and the world really.

If you are like me and don't read many of the other forums on TV then sure this is great to tell folk as it has already reminded some people especially the laminated PP.

I guess another one would be to b-line around transformer boxes on beach road sidewalk. lol

So is it 20 baht to go from let's say Pattaya Klang to past Na Jomtien? Can anyone confirm if it is only the White ones on Sukhumvit rd?

Another one for musicians is there is a GREAT guitar mechanic named Mike behind Foodland or accessable behind Big-C Extra.

Also a great little (well not so little) Music store off of Pattaya Klang on the right headed towards the beach just before Foodland on soi ...... dam_n it just left my brain. Is it soi Town & Country or something like that?

Still 20 baht from Pattaya to Bang Saray or 25 baht from Pattaya to Sattahib on the white baht bus. Thai or Farang.

• Like 1

-If you live here, get yourself house or a condo away from the touristy locations

-If you not married, find a job or a hobby or get a dog

-If you married, find a job or a hobby or get a dog

-Make your home like a home, do not live out of a suitcase, because then your life will be like a tourist pissing money away

-Do not start calling bar girls "friends"

-If you have been ripped off or bought something which does not work, by law you can change it, including cars and bikes, see this office http://aseanconsumer.org/misc/downloads/usftc-s1-mp.pdf , http://www.ocpb.go.th/ yes it is real and yes it does work. Just used them to exchange the bike which broke after 3 days of use.

Edited by lemoncake
  • Like 1

Keep yourself to yourself and don't get to friendly with everyone because it will bite you in the arse.

Now there's a bright and positive attitude about life. Hope you aren't too lonely ... or maybe you like it like that.

To be honest I see where he is coming from atleast in terms of the locals. I know quite a few expats and enjoy their company, in fact I need the company of expats.

But I would advise people to be careful of locals, I would say keep them at an arms length, unless for the obvious reasons. Many locals seem to be prone to anger and resentment (and often have violent tendencies) and it is better to keep contact at a courteous minimum, avoid confrontations, avoid discussing anything in depth as they can get angry, avoid drinking alcohol with them in particular the men, avoid questions, avoid offering or asking for opinions and above all, never let them know too much about you (personal stuff, financial stuiff etc etc) or become "entrenched", always be a bit of an outsider when it comes to local Thais.

Population in 2013 is 65,000 not including expats and migrant workers.

As far as I know this figure relates only to Thai people who are registered as living permanently in Pattaya. It doesnt include all the 10s (100s?) of thousands who only come here to work and are still registered as living in their home province. There really are a lot of these. Nor does it include all the assorted farangs and Laotians and Cambodians etc etc. as you mention.

There is a short-cut from the end of 2nd rd in Jomtien all the way to Na Jomtien now so you don’t have to go out to Sukhumvit but the roads are a little dodgy and hard to follow.

Na Jomtien starts just before the end of Jomtien Beach Road, not far from the Reflection condo. But it continues past the small yacht club and creek and as far as I know there is no proper bridge over the creek there, so to get to the rest of Na Jomtien (and the marina and the Ambassador) you do have to drive up Na Jomtien Thian 6 past the Na Jomtien Police Station and on to Sukumvit where you can turn right.

http://goo.gl/maps/pmcm1

Population in 2013 is 65,000 not including expats and migrant workers.

As far as I know this figure relates only to Thai people who are registered as living permanently in Pattaya. It doesnt include all the 10s (100s?) of thousands who only come here to work and are still registered as living in their home province. There really are a lot of these. Nor does it include all the assorted farangs and Laotians and Cambodians etc etc. as you mention.

There is a short-cut from the end of 2nd rd in Jomtien all the way to Na Jomtien now so you don’t have to go out to Sukhumvit but the roads are a little dodgy and hard to follow.

Na Jomtien starts just before the end of Jomtien Beach Road, not far from the Reflection condo. But it continues past the small yacht club and creek and as far as I know there is no proper bridge over the creek there, so to get to the rest of Na Jomtien (and the marina and the Ambassador) you do have to drive up Na Jomtien Thian 6 past the Na Jomtien Police Station and on to Sukumvit where you can turn right.

http://goo.gl/maps/pmcm1

KittyKong, please read the posts before you reply with a quote.

I already said that the population does not include tourists, expats and migrant workers and also provided a link to; Population of Pattaya 2013.

Also I would not have posted the shortcut to Na Jomtien if there isn't one. Before you get to Sukhumvit there is a small road on the right that does get you across . It is just a help instead of goung all the way to Sukhumvit. It also passes the Na Jomtien Police Station and continues down to the sail boarding area.

Edited by Gone

I do.

I already said that the population does not include tourists, expats and migrant workers and also provided a link to; Population of Pattaya 2013.

Indeed, but the main reason for the very low figure is the registration issue as I mentioned.

Also I would not have posted the shortcut to Na Jomtien if there isn't one. Before you get to Sukhumvit there is a small road on the right that does get you across . It is just a help instead of goung all the way to Sukhumvit. It also passes the Na Jomtien Police Station and continues down to the sail boarding area.

I have never seen it. This is why I said "as far as I know" there is no such passage, and I think I have been down all the roads in that area. Next time I'm over that way I will certainly look for it again.

I do.

Indeed, but the main reason for the very low figure is the registration issue as I mentioned.

I have never seen it. This is why I said "as far as I know" there is no such passage, and I think I have been down all the roads in that area. Next time I'm over that way I will certainly look for it again.

Fair enough and apologies. It's there trust me lol

Here is a tip as long as its not high season....when you book your hotel just do a day or so first, dont book longer, once you know everything works and you dont have annoying idiots as neighbours etc, only then should you book for longer

And stay outside when moving to new hotels and let your Thai wife check the hotel rooms out,if it meets your standards let her book it before you make an appearance.You should she the faces at Reception when they see you got thai prices for the hotel!

• Like 2

Big C Extra Pattaya Klang's food court has the best line up of Thai food. There are 2 "buffet" setups where the food is displayed. From these 2 areas, you can get 3 choices from the buffet on rice for 50 baht. This is all my opinion. I also like eating there as parking is easy, it's clean, not too crowded, and away from the tourist riff raff.

• Like 1

Big C Extra Pattaya Klang's food court has the best line up of Thai food. There are 2 "buffet" setups where the food is displayed. From these 2 areas, you can get 3 choices from the buffet on rice for 50 baht. This is all my opinion. I also like eating there as parking is easy, it's clean, not too crowded, and away from the tourist riff raff.

Big C and food in the same sentence ? You probably haven't been long enough in Thailand to know what is decent Thai food.

Edited by PeterSmiles

If the police knock on your door asking you to open it, you are not obliged to open it. Opening the door is equivalent to allowing them in and they may come in at that point and do as they please. Forget about search warrants.

In the event you are ever whisked to the police station and your passport withheld, remember that it's possible the police's demand for money might only be a bluff (extortion). If unsure and you're not willing to negotiate, one of the most well known law firms that is popular with expats is Magna Carta. Good to keep their phone number in your phone.

• Like 2

Big C and food in the same sentence ? You probably haven't been long enough in Thailand to know what is decent Thai food.

At Big C Klang, I really like the pork larb with mamma noodles and the fresh fruit shakes.

Population 65,000?

Great thread! ... I've got to do that copy and laminate your passport ID page, visa page, entry stamp and arrival card and carry the copy with you

... but I also question the 65,000 figure ... blink.png ... I suppose it's just their way of counting the Folk.

Wikipedia says 100,000 in 2007, but I am sure I have seen signs with larger numbers - theres got to be more than that working in the personal entertainment industry alone

6) Carry small change for the Baht bus and Food / Fruit sellers

7) Don't flash with cash and also it's better to leave that 2 THB gold necklace at home when going for a stroll on Beach Road / Only carry as much money as you need.

8) In Bars check your bills from time to time

"it's better to leave that 2 THB gold necklace at home"

I doubt you bought a gold necklace for 2 THB although you might have a necklace that weighs 2 baht.

One baht [weight] Thai gold is equivalent to 15,244 grams before it is worked up. After the work the weight should be equal to or more than 15,16 grams, to still be termed as one baht gold.

Until November 27, 1902, the baht was fixed on a purely silver basis, with 15 grams of silver to the baht.

THB is the symbol for the currency which, like the British pound, has a historical connection to measures of weight/mass.

...silver coins known as sterlings were issued in the Saxon kingdoms, 240 of them being minted from a pound of silver... Hence, large payments came to be reckoned in pounds of sterlings, a phrase later shortened...

Encyclopedia Brittanica, entry "pound sterling"

Unlike the USD$ which is now something in electronic cyberspace

Buy a new (preferably expensive and imported but even a non-eco model Japanese) car so you can avoid all traffic rules with impunity and giggle to yourself when you drive past all the moto-driving farangs being stopped by the police and shaken-down and harassed for who knows what this time.

Take the opportunity to meet and become good friends with some of the prettiest transsexuals to be found in any country.

Prettiest in the world