Power lifting in Bangkok?

sebscala

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone around here is into Powerlifting?

I am an intermediate lifter (best squat is 160kg, Bench 100kg, Deadlift 175kg) and it can suck to be the only person at the gym doing this type of training month after month. It also definitely sucks when you are lifting 3x more weight than anyone at the gym, there's nothing to aspire to except for what I see online.

Anyone into the same thing and would be up for training together now and then?

• Like 1

Well, I'm impressed! I have been lifting for about 9 months now and bench 50 (6 x 10 rep), squat 65 (6x10) and deadlift about the same.

I enjoy it but I don't think I would be much inspiration to you!

In the parks, like Lumpini, you see some pretty hardcore Thai men at the makeshift gyms and some of them lift very heavy- but its hard to say how much as its mainly concrete in plastic tubs rather than plates.

Well, I'm impressed! I have been lifting for about 9 months now and bench 50 (6 x 10 rep), squat 65 (6x10) and deadlift about the same.

I enjoy it but I don't think I would be much inspiration to you!

In the parks, like Lumpini, you see some pretty hardcore Thai men at the makeshift gyms and some of them lift very heavy- but its hard to say how much as its mainly concrete in plastic tubs rather than plates.

haha true, although they tend to be more into bodybuilding. Powerlifting is all about strength, anything else is secondary.

It's not all about numbers, it's a lot about attitude too! If you feel like coming along to workout sometime PM me.

You perhaps should concentrate on your own stuff and not others. smile.png

What are your referring to? Perhaps you could clarify.

Taking notice of what other folk are lifting, doesn't matter what other folk are doing does it. The battle is between you and that bar.

Sorry, bit of topic......smile.png

You perhaps should concentrate on your own stuff and not others. smile.png

What are your referring to? Perhaps you could clarify.

Taking notice of what other folk are lifting, doesn't matter what other folk are doing does it. The battle is between you and that bar.

Sorry, bit of topic......smile.png

True but sometimes it's nice to share a passion with other people doing the same thing at the same time

Thats pretty much it in Thailand except for the excellent olympics team. The people at your bb gym will be very strong though. But if you start squatting, pulling and pressing above your head you will be the only one doing it heavy,

in my limited experience people here are great, but unless you do the bb routines you will be lifting that way yourself, sometimes with an audience, sometimes not.

2 years ago i was doing powerlifting training, hang clean, deadlift, squat. Most of the gym will not allowed you to do so,

as you will frighten others customers. The only "professional" i found was the one at Hua Mark stadium.

This gym its old style, doesnt have fancy equipment, most of the customer are thai student. But its the perfect place to do powerlifting.

Beware there is 2 gym at the stadium, this one is near the shooting range.

2 years ago i was doing powerlifting training, hang clean, deadlift, squat. Most of the gym will not allowed you to do so,

as you will frighten others customers. The only "professional" i found was the one at Hua Mark stadium.

This gym its old style, doesnt have fancy equipment, most of the customer are thai student. But its the perfect place to do powerlifting.

Beware there is 2 gym at the stadium, this one is near the shooting range.

Sounds good thanks, I will have to check it out.

I have been doing deadlifst benches and squats a lot myself. I do them in my own home gym and do some respectable numbers. Not that I can test it often as it could be dangerous alone.

Bench around 150kg 1x

Squat 140 kg 1x (need to up it)

Deadlift 185 x 3

As I train alone I dont care to much about what others do I also dont expect my bench to go up much more.. squat and deadlifts maybe but I am more into bodybuilding as powerlifting.

The reason i train at home is that there were no good gyms to train with free weights and such.

Howdy!

I will be looking for a gym coming June/July in Bangkok - any suggestions?

I am starting out as a competitive powerlifter in the US (52kg weight class) and am looking for a good place to train with like-minded people. I have looked for a competition during those months, but there doesn't seem to be any. I am female and my raw lifting numbers are 102kg squat, 61kg bench, 113kg DL.

Thanks!

• Like 2

PowerZone is the only gym where you can really drop in and power lift that I know of. Aspire Crossfit in Asoke told me they have several squat racks but I don't know if that's true as I haven't seen it with my own eyes. Their monthly rate is quite expensive so I assume their daily rate is too. Maybe someone can confirm if they have squat racks or power racks (NOT Smith machines!).

Your figures are great, send me a PM if you would like to train together when you are here.

ployjoy if I could do 2x body weight I would be so happy for squat. (well ok you're just under 2x but ) By the time I worked up to my 2x body weight I had put on another 10 kg, as I reach that I notice my bodyweight is still going up, still reaching for it.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone around here is into Power lifting?

I have been in Thailand about 3 years, just getting back into lifting more seriously. I lift at True Fitness Asoke.

Body Weight: 83Kgs

Bench: 105 Kgs

Squat: 150 Kgs

Deadlift: 180 Kgs

I have had an idea to try to get a power lifting page started on Facebook, and also to try to organize a power lifting competition.

If you are interested in networking https://www.facebook.com/Thailand.powerlifting

The fitness industry is still growing in Thailand. There are many events, runs, triathlons, body-building.. but nothing yet for power lifting.. I think it could grow if we get it started..... At True Fitness there a number of Thai and Expats who are getting more serious about moving heavy weights. I know at least 3-4 guys who bench, squat and dead-lift.

Maybe we can network and exchange ideas...

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone around here is into Power lifting?

I have been in Thailand about 3 years, just getting back into lifting more seriously. I lift at True Fitness Asoke.

Body Weight: 83Kgs

Bench: 105 Kgs

Squat: 150 Kgs

Deadlift: 180 Kgs

I have had an idea to try to get a power lifting page started on Facebook, and also to try to organize a power lifting competition.

If you are interested in networking https://www.facebook.com/Thailand.powerlifting

The fitness industry is still growing in Thailand. There are many events, runs, triathlons, body-building.. but nothing yet for power lifting.. I think it could grow if we get it started..... At True Fitness there a number of Thai and Expats who are getting more serious about moving heavy weights. I know at least 3-4 guys who bench, squat and dead-lift.

Maybe we can network and exchange ideas...

Awesome! Your numbers are pretty similar to mine, would be good to lift together sometime. I get really tired to always lifting alone.

Would be 100% up for a meet or competition and also to train people interested in technique, programs etc.

Let's talk on Facebook...

I used to powerlift, but hurt myself doing squats and now am limited to plain old bodybuilding.

I'd recommend taking a visit to 'The Lab' between Asok and Phrom Phong BTS. It's a small gym/shop ran by some American fitness instructors. Mostly does tailored 1-1 sessions, injury rehabilitation, etc. They really know their stuff.

I've seen powerlifters in there. They also sell some useful lifting equipment, like dip belts, foam rollers, MAYBE chalk, which can be tricky to get over here. Worth a visit.

Edited by celso

Hey lads I'm flying in to bkk as we speak, well I depart in one hour and I'll be there an hour after that , I'll be in bkk thong lor area untill 27 . Been alternating between bb and pl. For last ten years , but been concentrating on muay Thai lately .

Weighing 100kg

Pr squat 240

Dl 250

Bench 180

I'm keen as to train while I'm here , mainly mt but also a few strength sessions would be good pm me , would like to check out some outdoor gyms (lumpini and jatujak?)

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I also lift pretty heavy (110,140,185), but I am not so interested in power lifting. I'd rather learn to lift some of the Olympic lifts. I am on christmas holiday, but when I return I plan to check out the Thai-Japanese Friendship Center in Din-Daeng. I am fairly sure they have an olympic lifting team/teaching and it's only 50 baht for a year or so. They also have a bodybuilding area where no white man has ever set foot and everyone is roided to the gills.

• 2 weeks later...

if you find some outdoor gyms with decent equipment I would be interested to know where, ( though a decent set of bars are great if you are getting the calisthenics going)

Benjasirri and benjakitti both have outdoor fitness areas with chin up and dip bars for calisthenics, been going to benjasiri everymornjng it's right next to phrom pong Bts

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

I'm pretty similar to OxfordWill:

OHP: 48.5kg

Bench: 70kg

Squat: 95kg

Deadlift: 92.5kg

I do three sets of 5 reps for these weights (1x5 for deadlift).

I'm constantly injuring my back (pain just to the right of my tailbone), probably because of the deadlifts, so I've taken a 2-week break from squats and deadlifts and focusing on my upper body and calves, also trying to do some stretching of my hamstrings.

Looking to find a coach to work on my squat and deadlift technique - if anyone knows a good one, I'd appreciate the info.

Edited by fishbrando

I'm pretty similar to OxfordWill:

OHP: 48.5kg

Bench: 70kg

Squat: 95kg

Deadlift: 92.5kg

I do three sets of 5 reps for these weights (1x5 for deadlift).

I'm constantly injuring my back (pain just to the right of my tailbone), probably because of the deadlifts, so I've taken a 2-week break from squats and deadlifts and focusing on my upper body and calves, also trying to do some stretching of my hamstrings.

Looking to find a coach to work on my squat and deadlift technique - if anyone knows a good one, I'd appreciate the info.

Numbers are a real good start. Would be happy to coach you for free next time I do a session at Powerzone - just PM me.