Customs seizes 60 rare tortoises at Suvarnabhumi Airport

webfact

Customs seizes 60 rare tortoises at airport
The Nation

30221783-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Malagasy man, 31, was arrested at Suvarnabhumi Airport yesterday for allegedly smuggling 60 highly threatened radiated tortoises (Astrochelys radiata) into the Kingdom. The tortoises, found hidden in foam-packed luggage, were reportedly worth Bt1.2 million on the market.

The suspect, Rajoma Ranjarison Andrianantenaian, who had flown from Antananarivo to Bangkok on an Air Madagascar flight and maintained his innocence after the arrest, was being investigated under several sections of Thailand's Wild Animals Preservation and Protection Act 1992, Customs Act and the Animal Epidemics Act. The seized tortoises are now in the care of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation.

Since 2008, Thailand has thwarted attempts to smuggle over 400 radiated and ploughshare tortoises and arrested at least six Thai and Malagasy smugglers, according to TRAFFIC Southeast Asia.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-12-11

Nobody pointing !, they must think this is not serious.

BUT its should be ,very few of those tortoises left in

the wild,I hope those get returned to Madagascar and

don't end up at Jatujak market or some grotty Thai zoo,

regards Worgeordie.

• Like 1

When I first skim read this I thought it said customs seize 60 rare tourists! wasn't til I clicked on the link that I realized it didn't, by which time my mind was already racing as to what would constitute 60 rare tourists....... Maybe 60 guys going to Pattaya, none of whom wanted sex.........