Fruit trees in Chiang Mai

simoncnx

Im about to plant my garden - its only small

Do you think the following will grow here?

Lemon

Lime

Orange

Papaya

Nectarine

Plum

Cherry

Avocado

What varieties would be best?

Where to find?

Sorry but i just dont know where to start

Thanks for your help

Simon

Lemon= yes

Lime= yes

Orange=yes

Papaya = i think so

Nectarine= dont know

Plum= dont know, a plum from Brasil will i think

Cherry= thai churry is not so nice but from Brasil should be better and perfect for chiang mai i guess

Avocado= sure even Hass or any other one except the west indian variety's.

www.tropicalfruitforum.com if you need more info.

Start with the citrus, lime and orange, and see how you do. These are commonly available (lime and orange more so than lemon) and relatively easy to grow. Avocado is possible, but sometimes more problematic in selection and culture for the novice gardener. Avocado is a big tree when mature, so maybe not appropriate in your limited space. If it's a small garden be sure you are providing enough space for each plant and don't crowd them. The nectarine and plum are deciduous fruit trees that may grow vegetatively, but require cold winter temps to set fruit. So if you are not in the mountains I would avoid disappointment with these and use the limited space for the sub-tropical plants.

Plant the citrus root crown at or slightly above existing soil grade, don't plant the root ball too low. They are susceptible to crown rot if the root crown is buried and stays too wet (avocado too). Provide good soil fertility and water. A good time to amend the soil is before you plant. After planting use mulch on the soil surface to retain moisture and suppress competitive weeds. Pay special attention to water during the dry season.

Papaya may be good for you to grow too. Bananas are easy and grow fast, but take some space, maybe along a fence-line. Plants are available at many nurseries around Chiang Mai, but the largest plant market is at KamTieng, behind Lotus/Tesco on the northern arc of the Super Highway, just west of the Ping River.

Lemon=yes

Lime= yes

Orange=no (unless you are in the mountains. prefer colder climates)

Papaya= yes, easiest tree to grow. (Thai tradition though don't plant near your kitchen)

Nectarine= not sure what that is

Plum= yes,

Cherry= smaller asian varieties but are not sweet they are more sour.

Avocado= yes, but very tricky to graft and get to fruit. Unless you get the local type that isn't that great.

Mangoes grow very well, but require a lot of pruning and maintenance.

Bananas= nothing easier to grow in the planet.

My favorites

Jack fruit= very good shade tree

champoo=very good shade tree but a lot of clean up and bugs love them

Tamarind= beautiful leaves.

longan/lynchee are both very nice lynchee likes cooler climate also but a few types do well in CM

Just buy those tree's but make sure you get grafted ones. You can examine the stem to see where they joined to make sure you got grafted variety's. Grafted tree's will stay (much depending on variety) smaller, fruit much faster and you will be sure you get the right tree with good fruits (if grafted from a good tree of course).

Avocado's can even fruit in a pot, same for mango's and lytchi and even jackfruits.

www.tropicalfruitforum (there i go again), there is a whole new world to discover. You can ask anything there and will get reply from all over the world.

Don't believe the old-fashioned way of thinking that all tree's have to be huge. My mango is full of fruits now in BKK (a grafted one) while my neighbours have huge mangotree's without fruits. Mine is about 3-4 metres tall now and i want to keep it that size.

Chiang mai is cooler then BKK so you can't grow durians or pulasan there but maybe you can grow cherimoya, hass avocado (or another mexican or guatamala avocado) or kaki. Your climate is about the same as Florida and there are loads of members from Florida on the fruitforum. It is a very big website and takes many days of reading to discover all. It also has a search function that you can use. There are 100 different fruits that you can grow in Chiang mai. Oh and don't believe what the Thai say, they also think very oldfashioned.

Just buy those tree's but make sure you get grafted ones. You can examine the stem to see where they joined to make sure you got grafted variety's. Grafted tree's will stay (much depending on variety) smaller, fruit much faster and you will be sure you get the right tree with good fruits (if grafted from a good tree of course).

Avocado's can even fruit in a pot, same for mango's and lytchi and even jackfruits.

www.tropicalfruitforum (there i go again), there is a whole new world to discover. You can ask anything there and will get reply from all over the world.

Don't believe the old-fashioned way of thinking that all tree's have to be huge. My mango is full of fruits now in BKK (a grafted one) while my neighbours have huge mangotree's without fruits. Mine is about 3-4 metres tall now and i want to keep it that size.

Chiang mai is cooler then BKK so you can't grow durians or pulasan there but maybe you can grow cherimoya, hass avocado (or another mexican or guatamala avocado) or kaki. Your climate is about the same as Florida and there are loads of members from Florida on the fruitforum. It is a very big website and takes many days of reading to discover all. It also has a search function that you can use. There are 100 different fruits that you can grow in Chiang mai. Oh and don't believe what the Thai say, they also think very oldfashioned.

https://www.google.nl/search?q=avocado+tree+container&safe=off&hl=nl&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=zXyqUvGjB4uziQes7IHgCw&ved=0CEMQsAQ&biw=1241&bih=583

https://www.google.nl/search?q=mango+tree+container&safe=off&hl=nl&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_nyqUunPEKmaiAfP54Eo&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1241&bih=583

https://www.google.nl/search?q=mango+tree+container&safe=off&hl=nl&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=_nyqUunPEKmaiAfP54Eo&ved=0CDEQsAQ&biw=1241&bih=583#hl=nl&q=mini+nangka&safe=off&tbm=isch

• 3 weeks later...