Restaurants in old city near Vieng Mantra hotel

duan

I live in Hua Hin and have not been up to Chiang Mai for over 10 years. I am going up there in mid February for a week and would be very grateful for any restaurant / bar recommendations nearby.

I have already searched the forum but have not come across any up to date information for this area and do not trust the Trip adviser reviews for obvious reasons.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't trust Trip Adviser either. Don't know where the Vieng Mantra hotel is. Any other landmarks?

Doing a search on Google it appears to be near the Montri, lots of restaurants and bars in the vicinity on Moon Maung and only a 5 minute walk from Gecko Books if the OP wants to pick up some reading smile.png

Chiang Mai is your oyster really, you can get to pretty much any of the decent restaurants in town by songtaew or tuk tuk in less than 20 mins from here.

Not sure of your tastes in bars or restaurants but you can't go wrong with The Dukes, The River Market or Chez Marco, I don't eat out a lot these days so I'm sure you will get some other recommendations, there are a lot of bars along Moon Maung and depending on your interests...Loi Kroh Rd which are both within walking distance.

Edited by anonymouse

Vieng Mantra is on Rajdameon road near Thae phae Gate and the Sunday walking market in the Old

City.

Many thanks for the help so far. I will be with the wife so we will need primarily Thai food.

Well avoid Loi Kroh and the Dukes then smile.png

I'd still recommend the River Market, its a nice spot on the river and good Thai food.

• Like 1

I recommend seeking out some Lanna Northern Thai food since your visiting from down south. On another note why the comments about Trip Advisor recommendations are untrustworthy. I found them to be pretty accurate and to be honest I'm much more in agreement than with the ones here on TV.

A lot of the comments on Trip Adviser are owners complementing their own restaurant or owners of other restaurants trashing the competition. That is why the ratings are all over the place. I don't pay much attention to the rankings, but use it to get an idea of what dishes are on offer.

• Like 1