Another Phuket taxi driver arrested for assaulting a tourist

webfact

Another Phuket taxi driver arrested for assaulting a tourist
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_2013121411218347_zKFdDzBkTnNs
Tourist Arminas Macys identifies the suspect. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- Karon Police yesterday arrested a taxi driver for threatening and assaulting a tourist with a piece of bamboo.

Narongsak “Petch” Kongsawat, 19, was arrested at the taxi rank in front of the Centara Grand Beach Resort, Phuket, at about 4:30pm.

“Police identified themselves, showed the arrest warrant and took Mr Narongsak to the police station for questioning over an incident on December 8,” Lt Col Sopon Borrirak of the Karon Police said.

Lithuanian tourist Arminas Macys, 41, alleged that on December 8 he was threatened by Mr Narongsak because he was taking a taxi that was not part of the rank in front of the resort.

“I had asked for hotel staff to call me a taxi, but there wasn't one available, so I walked out of the hotel to get a taxi about 50 meters away,” Mr Macys told police.

“While I was opening the taxi door, a man rushed me and started pulling on my arm, ordering me not to take the taxi. He also pointed to the taxi rank in front of the hotel and waved a piece of bamboo while threatening me,” Mr Macys said. “He told me I was an impolite person, and then started hitting me with the bamboo stick.”

Mr Narongsak has denied threatening and attacking Mr Arminas.

In light of the incident, Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut asked that Karon Police take swift action against any taxi drivers who threaten or assault tourists.

“There are not many drivers threatening tourists, but those who are, are creating an enormous problem and affecting the image of all taxi drivers in Phuket. Police need to set an example, so they understand we are serious,” Governor Maitri said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Another-Phuket-taxi-driver-arrested-for-assaulting-a-tourist-23026.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-12-14

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are not many drivers threatening tourists, but those who are, are creating an enormous problem and affecting the image of all taxi drivers in Phuket. Police need to set an example, so they understand we are serious, Governor Maitri said.

Really - he needs to get out and about some more. See the real world.

How can he see the real world and meet the real people in daily situations when everywhere he goes he does it with 20 armed guards ?

• Like 1

There are not many drivers threatening tourists, but those who are, are creating an enormous problem and affecting the image of all taxi drivers in Phuket. Police need to set an example, so they understand we are serious, Governor Maitri said.

"See the real world." - the "real world" is now holidaying somewhere else.

In the future, I expect I will see a documentary titled - "How a group of taxi and tuk-tuk drivers ruined the tourism industry on Phuket."

Of course, by then, it will be too late to fix.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 2

Really? I'm living in Pattaya for quite a while and i never see taxi driver being agressive towards foreigner FIRST.Most of the time problem is foreigner being intoxicated,being rude/disrespectful,or not willing to pay the price after it has been already negotiated. I would say 9/10 times it's foreigner fault. Just based on my experience what i'm seeing weekly.Many foreigners come here acting like they own the place,which is really annoying sometimes.

• Like 1

Really? I'm living in Pattaya for quite a while and i never see taxi driver being agressive towards foreigner FIRST.Most of the time problem is foreigner being intoxicated,being rude/disrespectful,or not willing to pay the price after it has been already negotiated. I would say 9/10 times it's foreigner fault. Just based on my experience what i'm seeing weekly.Many foreigners come here acting like they own the place,which is really annoying sometimes.

Just try and park you car on a public road in Patong/Karon/Kata central areas. That's if you can find a space. Some taxi tout will immediately appear from nowhere and tell you to move. If you question why then expect a barrage of swearing. If you are stupid enough to ignore and walk away then expect to come back to a damaged car.

• Like 2

Why oh why do the hotels in Phuket , especially the supposed more upscale resorts, allow a bunch of taxi thugs to intimidate their guests. Hotels "should" have a lot of clout in the Phuket community....are the hotel general managers all afraid to band together and demand the intimation stop? A few trip advisor type reports on the web saying if you stay in X hotel beware of being beaten by the taxi mafia at the entrance and be aware the hotel will do NOTHING to assist their guests or provide security will no doubt cause a lot of potential guests to look elsewhere.....

Surely Phuket has some sort of hotel association that together could DEMAND the Phuket tourism authority and the Thai Tourism authority put a stop to this crap. Hotels bring a hell of a lot more revenues into Phuket than the taxi mafia...but obviously they must not pay off the proper authorities to allow their guests to not be held captive.

Because these corrupt taxi mafia have the complete support and cover from high government and police officials. I have no doubt that the hotels make complaints, as reported in many news stories. Even the foreign consulates make regular complaints. The high ups pay lip service, make a big fuss for a day, then everything goes on as normal.

• Like 2

“I had asked for hotel staff to call me a taxi, but there wasn't one available, so I walked out of the hotel to get a taxi about 50 meters away,” Mr Macys told police.

That is very strange...NO taxis available yet there apparently were a bunch sitting right outside in a rank? Sounds more like there were no taxis available that didn't want to rip him off and the hotel was afraid to call another "non approved" taxi to enter the hotel grounds for fear of retribution from the mafia...<snip>

Could be, but not the most likely. Much more likely that the hotel concierge could not find any of his 'taxi' friends who gives him a commission, so he told the guests to walk outside and ask the taxi guys there.

Indeed I don't know of anyone that has been so much as thumped by a taxi driver. Then again I have only been here 20 years so give it time.

Which, statistically means absolutely nothing... are you trying to say that it doesn't happen because of your lengthy presence in Thailand and huge circle of mates have never been thumped?

• Like 1

In other words, really, you have a home and other vested interests in Phuket, and therefore have a stake in not seeing bad news like this getting out to the world about the place...not good for the local economy - which is YOUR economy now - or your state of mind.

I so miss Phuket and the attitude of the locals...bah.gif Why is this still going on?

In a related vein, I was in Phuket last week and unusually needed to go to Kata in my car. I found a designated parking spot near Kata Beach Hotel, opposite side of the road and further down, so I pulled in. A policeman happened to be standing nearby because it was Regatta week and they were around and about, seemingly for appearances sake.

Anyway, I asked him if it was ok to park in the spot I had just occupied. He took a side long look at my car and said " No. Reserved for taxi". Needless to say, it was just an ordinary parking space with no signs whatsoever other than a rectangular box painted in white lines on the ground.

In a fast changing world, it's good to see that some things just don't change and the BIB help to keep them the same!

• Like 1

Indeed I don't know of anyone that has been so much as thumped by a taxi driver. Then again I have only been here 20 years so give it time.

Which, statistically means absolutely nothing... are you trying to say that it doesn't happen because of your lengthy presence in Thailand and huge circle of mates have never been thumped?

And you are saying ALL people using taxis get thumped?? Statistically??