What's !AWESOME! about Bangkok?

bkksiam

Neil Pasricha's book + blog about 1000 AWESOME things <link removed> made me think that it would be interesting to come up with 100 awesome ("...a countdown of life’s little joys") things about Bangkok.

Here are ten I can think of (in arbitrary order):

What's your list of Bangkok Awesome?

1. watching people do aerobics in lumpini in 35 degree temperatures

2. how the city comes alive with markets and street sellers at night

3. wasting time strolling through the crowds in Chatuchak

4. getting my slacks hemmed for 30 baht

5. being in a BTS station at 6 when the anthem plays

6. having a foot massage at the end of a long day

7. the cool mornings in January

8. riding the chao phraya express in torrential rain

9. the just-about-anything-goes attitude

10.the lights from the temples seen from the river at night

Edited by Maestro
Removed commercial link

100 people, 100 different definitions of what is awesome - at least when they are free to speak: away from colleagues, facebook, public opinion, wives and girlfriends... etc.

100 people, 100 definitions -That's the whole point!

Neil's definition "... optimism for the rest of us. Sunny without being saccharine, ... a countdown of life’s little joys."

Hot chicks everywhere.

Although the longer you're here the less hot they get.

I've become really picky and far less needy for sex.

When's it's on a plate you seem to crave it less. Anyone agree?

Hot bodies for sure. Faces not so much. I'm not a fan of acne.

• Like 1

In response to the OP:

1. OK. Agred. lots of pretty bums.

2. Could be anywhere in Thailand

3. could be any market in Thailand.

4. Could be anywhere in Thailand

5. Same on SRT anywhere in Thailand.

6. could be anywhere in Thailand.

7. Are you kidding. Try Chiang Rai.

8. OK. I buy that one!

9. Could be anywhere in Thailand.

10. Could be a number of places in Thailand.

After living here for 3 months, after nearly 10 years in Chiang Mai, I would say that Bangkok is an overcrowded, under-planned, shithole. Whose few redeeming features are: decent ale and a great regional airport (Don Mueang)to get out and see the great cities of Asia, of which Bangkok is assuredly not one!!

• Like 1

Every one wants to change it but will be very sad when it looks like every other city on the planet.

n°? some nice side soy's that take you back to the jungle/marsh it used to be

n°?+1 the feeling you're in Blade Runner every day

100 people, 100 different definitions of what is awesome - at least when they are free to speak: away from colleagues, facebook, public opinion, wives and girlfriends... etc.

100 people, 100 definitions -That's the whole point!

Neil's definition "... optimism for the rest of us. Sunny without being saccharine, ... a countdown of lifes little joys."

Thanks for that...my ear are ringing after your shout out. Edited by mdmayes

Hot chicks everywhere.

Afraid not and it should be on the list of attractions.

Hot chicks everywhere.

Disagree.

My tastes have changed however. When i first came here i was crazy for the petite girls. Now, I love the curvier ones. Fortunately, each year there is more of those, but soon they will all just be obese and that isn't hot. Although it makes no difference to me. I can only look crying.gif.

What's good about Bangkok?

After 4 years I have forgotten. Moving to Isaan soon.smile.png

In response to the OP: 1. OK. Agred. lots of pretty bums. 2. Could be anywhere in Thailand 3. could be any market in Thailand. 4. Could be anywhere in Thailand 5. Same on SRT anywhere in Thailand. 6. could be anywhere in Thailand. 7. Are you kidding. Try Chiang Rai. 8. OK. I buy that one! 9. Could be anywhere in Thailand. 10. Could be a number of places in Thailand. After living here for 3 months, after nearly 10 years in Chiang Mai, I would say that Bangkok is an overcrowded, under-planned, shithole. Whose few redeeming features are: decent ale and a great regional airport (Don Mueang)to get out and see the great cities of Asia, of which Bangkok is assuredly not one!!

Bangkok "a shit hole" why make it sound better than it is biggrin.png I had 8 years there, working, thankfully I escaped to Chiang Mai.

Even when you have day of you spend hours travelling a few kms to enjoy it. Air quality is horrendous all year round, prices of food ,drinks in restaurants going through the roof unlike the rest of Thailand where you can actually have a life. Sukumvit has become a haven for indian and Arab spivs selling drugs ,watches and suits, only the still beautiful girls ease the visual pain.

2 years ago it was voted one of the worlds most liveable cities by some obscure organisation ,how much did that cost ?

• Like 2

1. the village quality of the old district of Bangkok. Bangkok has a very low road density (as anyone who has tried to get around can attest). Consequently there are vast areas far off from any main roads. And these areas were once villages, and still resemble villages. Go off the Charansanitwong and walk into any soi to the east and see the old villages of Bangkok.

2. the commuting long-tail boats of the old klongs in west Bangkok. These are never mentioned in the English language internet, but there are large numbers of them criss-crossing the klongs every morning and evening. In the evening, they zoom past in the almost pitch black doing tight turns from simply the drivers past memories of the location of twists in the canals. Mesmeric to the eye.

3. the open doors/ entire walls of the old town houses. These--again-- are mostly on the west side of the river. A magical atmosphere of intensely close community lives. SImilar to towns in southern italy, and probably what England community life was like 200 years ago.

4. intellectual development. This city is paradise for an intellectual. Any book can be photocopied for almost nothing. Anything can be found, always somewhere warm and dry to ponder and read and discuss. Every academic and thinker is accessible.

Edited by Gaccha
  • Like 1

Hot chicks everywhere.

Afraid not and it should be on the list of attractions.

You probably havn't been here long enough. Give it another 5 years.