Israeli suspected of shoplifting at Pattaya Shopping Mall

webfact

Normally the fine by the shop owner for shoplifting is 20× the value of the item. Failure to pay would get you to the Police station and a conviction by the Court... A heavy penalty for a 20 dollars hat. But hey, a thief takes that risk.

a very light penalty for theft!

We get to hear the beginning of these stories (and the other example involving the goat's cheese rolleyes.gif ) but we never get to hear the outcome and what happens after ……….

I'm just curious as to how difficult the BIB make things for these fellows after they have been nabbed? For example I'm sure the BIB would want to see their actual passports for processing forms etc after they have been charged.

So if these people are not carrying their actual passports and have copies what happens ? If they are in a safe somewhere for example in their rooms who goes to get them ? And what happens to all your other valuables and other assets after you are in the criminal justice system?

Presumably it wouldn't be like the West where you would be released on bail ?

"We get to hear the beginning of these stories (and the other example involving the goat's cheese rolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif ) but we never get to hear the outcome and what happens after ………."

No need for follow-up. The TV barstool analysts inform you ahead of time 1) what "really" happened, 2) what's wrong with the way the police handled it, 3) why jet ski operators are to blame for everything that happens, 4) how some hi-so perpetrator escaped to Singapore, 5) various irrelevant things about alleged tea money, and 6) why it's all caused by Thai culture (the last item from students of Thai culture who don't speak or read or comprehend anything in the Thai language).

At this point, what actually happens is pretty much an anti-climax anyway and would only sully the imaginary sequence of events that brings comfort to so many.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Please note the use of the word 'Suspected" here before burning up the keyboard with your high court verdicts on this bloke ventmongers......

Heavy Drinker's Fingerpoint rating: 4/10 Verdict:rather feeble, lacking conviction.....must do better next time Khun Sompong....

I thought all, (perhaps0, wrong doers were suspects until a judge directs guilt or not guilty......coffee1.gif

He was

1. In possession of something he had not paid for
  2. running away from the scene

I don't think you need a judge to confirm he is guilty?unsure.png

Poor reporting make for this to be absolutely impossible to decipher. AGAIN!

I thought only the police "suspected" or "believed things to be"!

What the...?

He doesn't speak English.

Does he speak Thai?

How did he communicate with this clerk?

How did the transaction go down: mime?

The clerk left him alone to get the change!!!??? Do they put cash registers on the roof now? Usually it is quite normal for the purchaser to approach and stand at the cash register to conduct the purchase. If not, then usually it is customary for the assisting clerk to take the merchandise to the cash register and invite the customer to follow along.

He purchased one hat and left. The Thai says he ran out. There is no mention of a screaming Thai clerk, which would subsequently alert the Thai security guards to have the time to apprehend a running customer.

When Thai security apprehended them man, there is no mention of him being given the dignity to show that he did not have a second hat on his person. This is customary: for the security guards to look to the protester and hear them out and then look to the one being protested with a questioning look and the grace to allow the one being protested to set the record straight. No mention of that.

There is no mention of a second hat being found on his person.

The article says the police took him to the station with the incriminating evidence, but only one hat is mentioned.

Would this be the one hat that he purchased? It is not delineated.

Hey reporter... Where was the second dam_n hat found?

------------------

As far as I am concerned, I would pretend not to speak English as well and I would resist as well were I to be treated this way, and then have some jackass reporter type some garbled tripe about the entire affair.

On the other hand, if he did indeed tuck the hat under his clothing, then shame on him, but still with no credit going to the jackass reporter.

EDIT: One final thought. If the man truly were unable to speak anything other than his native tongue, then it is quite possible that the actions of the clerk suggested to him that the price paid was for two hats, and the man quite possibly believed he purchased two hats and not one. This theory could be perceived if the two hats were both in the same bag. I have actually witnessed people who are that ignorant at times, and the Thais do nothing about making things clear. Not ever.

But we'll never know will we?

Edited by cup-O-coffee

Now that's just stupid. Probably will end up paying 10,000 baht or more for that cheap hat in order to get out of the jam he's in. Fortunately for him he's in Thailand and all it takes is a bit of cash to get out of these things. I've been in a similar situation here.

Edited by smooth expat