Free Wi-Fi coming to six Thai airports

webfact

Free Wi-Fi coming to six Thai airports
By Coconuts Bangkok

wifi.jpg

BANGKOK: -- You've checked in, survived security, found the right gate and now want to catch up on Coconuts at one of Thailand's six international airports?

Free internet, a feature of many of the world's airports but long lacking in Thailand, is rolling out at all of Airports of Thailand's in a bid to seek greater global status at its not-so-popular facilities.

The free Wi-Fi service launched earlier this month at Don Muang and Chiang Mai, while Chiang Mai, Phuket, Hat Yai and Chiang Rai airports go live Jan. 1.

Travelers at Suvarnabhumi Airport will need to wait until March 1 to enjoy the new service.

The state-run airport agency said the [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/12/17/free-wi-fi-coming-six-thai-airports

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-12-17

Travellers can register with their Thai ID or passport number to obtain a username and password,

Great, so you have to find a booth, queue, register with your passport, then obtain a username and password. Could they have perhaps made it just a bit more inconvenient? Who wants to go through all that when you have limited time at the airport and you just want to check your email?

Every major airport in the region has free, uncomplicated WiFi access. Even at one of the most dreadful airports anywhere - Manila!

I think AOT will just p**s off as many passengers as they will please with this ridiculous procedure.

• Like 2

I used the free Wi-Fi at Don Muang last week, registered on my Ipad, no queuing up, the process was pretty quick and straightforward, no ID or Passport number required, just an email address.

The speed was pretty good as well.

I understand that Suvarnabhumi is going to be online later as it requires more work to set up due to its size.

• Like 1

Travellers can register with their Thai ID or passport number to obtain a username and password,

Great, so you have to find a booth, queue, register with your passport, then obtain a username and password. Could they have perhaps made it just a bit more inconvenient? Who wants to go through all that when you have limited time at the airport and you just want to check your email?

Every major airport in the region has free, uncomplicated WiFi access. Even at one of the most dreadful airports anywhere - Manila!

I think AOT will just p**s off as many passengers as they will please with this ridiculous procedure.

ou must not travel much

when was the last time you flew through Singapore airport

which I consider one of the best in the world for flier comfort

ou must not travel much

But many Thais who have not stepped out of Thailand are under the impression that Suvarnabhumi Airport is the best in world.

I would say the bare looking concrete ceilings and pillars are quite artistic in a Tadao Ando way.

• Like 1

ou must not travel much

Chinese airports have the same ID rules. It is to stop anyone using the internet anonymously. Of course it is highly inefficient for everyone except the person who wants to avoid censorship, and they probably know how to get around it anyway..

ou must not travel much

No need to get snippy. I do spend a bit of time traveling through airports, and we can compare our collection of airline gold status cards if you really want to dismiss my post as being from someone who does not "travel much".

I have to admit that I have not been through Singapore in a while, and last time I was, there was free wifi. Are you saying there isn't now? Sorry, your command of grammar and punctuation made it a bit difficult to sort out your point.

• Like 1

When i was in Manila a few months back i tried to use the free internet at the airport. It asked me to sign up and they would send me my password via SMS to my phone number. Well my Thai phone number is only good in Thailand, so this did not work for me. I didn't see any other option for me to get on the internet. Perhaps i was doing something wrong. Not sure how they would set it up here in Thailand, but if the same way as Manila, many travelers would be in the same predicament as I was.

Heaven forbid someone use the internet without an ID. The Thailand universe would implode.

Don't you know that virtually all internet access requires an ID? Thus, indeed, heaven does forbid use of the internet w/out ID.

ou must not travel much

One can fly/travel extensively and never go thru Singapore? But then they wouldn't be as cool as you.

They are doing it the reverse way. Start with your International Airport first, goodness sake !

They are doing international airports first. The article specifically mentions Don Muang, Chiang Mai, and Phuket.

Edited by IsaanUSA

Weren't there also coming several thousand free wifi spots coming everywhere in the country ?

Yes, that was the government's uncompleted-but-paid-for "scheme" described above.

In reading the article, i discovered these new airport hookups aren't part of that.

It's a corporate project paid for by True.

Meanwhile, for the government project, it's paid for already by taxpayers, but it has yet to be completed.

Free Nation-Wide WiFi.

It all sounded so magical in 2011.

ou must not travel much

Not sure how recently you've been to Singapore....

They stopped requiring you to go to the information counter to get a user id and password. Nowadays, you just turn on your device and connect.

ou must not travel much

Chinese airports have the same ID rules. It is to stop anyone using the internet anonymously. Of course it is highly inefficient for everyone except the person who wants to avoid censorship, and they probably know how to get around it anyway..

What ID rules? BKK airport has had wifi access for the longest. A couple of weeks ago when going to Krabi I wrote dummy info on the clipboard and the girl still gave me the coupon for the wifi. No big deal

When i was in Manila a few months back i tried to use the free internet at the airport. It asked me to sign up and they would send me my password via SMS to my phone number. Well my Thai phone number is only good in Thailand, so this did not work for me. I didn't see any other option for me to get on the internet. Perhaps i was doing something wrong. Not sure how they would set it up here in Thailand, but if the same way as Manila, many travelers would be in the same predicament as I was.

At least in arrivals, there is open WiFi at T1 MNL, and you do not need a password.