PM Yingluck turns down call for resignation

webfact

PM Yingluck Turns Down Call For Resignation
By Khaosod Online

yiu.jpg
Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra taking questions from reporters, 17 December 2013

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has said she will not resign from her caretaker position demanded by anti-government protesters.

The People′s Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD), led by former Democrat MP Suthep Thaugsuban, has been calling for Ms. Yingluck′s resignation and a royal appointment of an unelected Prime Minister along with the formation of unelected ′People′s Council′ to rule the country as a transitional government.

But in a press conference earlier today after a Cabinet meeting in Bangkok, Ms. Yingluck stressed that she will not resign, because the Constitution requires her to stay until the next election.

She also told reporters that the election will go ahead on 2 February 2014 as scheduled; the protesters have demanded that the election be postponed and their "reform" of Thailand be implemented first.

However, she refused to say whether she will run as the top ticket of Pheu Thai Party again, stating that there is still plenty of time to decide.

Also attending the Cabinet meeting was Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit Thoopkrachang, chief of Bangkok Metropolitan Police, who refused the talk to reporters about the police strategies to contain the prolonged protests.

Asked whether the election will happen on 2 February 2014, Pol.Lt.Gen. Kamronwit said he does not know. "We have to evaluate that possibility from many [agencies]", but insisted that police can provide security for the election.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE56STFPVEU0TXc9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2013-12-17

• Like 1

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

brewsterbudgen, on 17 Dec 2013 - 13:39, said:snapback.png

Yingluck's corruption is just as illegal as Suthep's and all the other Thai, and other countries', politicians.

But if the Thai people choose to elect her party again, she has the right to be Prime Minister.

Far more corrupt, IMO, are those calling for the election to be postponed and a non-democratic junta put in place.

As far as I know she has not been convicted for any corruption charges, sure her brother has but that does not make her guilty.

If all the other side has to offer is guilt by association or that she is a puppet (which I have never seen any proof) they have no chance of winning a election ever! There only platform seems to be tell lives often enough all the time and sooner or later you will get a few people to believe.

But then again neither have Suthep or Abhisit and have a look at your own posts and see what you are saying about them.

If the Democrats had been elected and formed the Government under the current system, would they be calling for reforms ?

Is it the duty of the Government to aid the Opposition Party so that the latter could pose a credible challenge to itself ?

Edited by thairookie
  • Like 1

None. They voted for her brother.

Her brother wasn't on the party list. The 297 MP's that voted for Yingluck to become PM didn't vote for Thaksin either.

Her mandate is undisputed.

Well, technically, her mandate is disputed, by the tens of thousands who have been disputing it on the streets of Bangkok and cities around the country lately. Just saying...

Edited by fstarbkk
  • Like 2

Her brother wasn't on the party list. The 297 MP's that voted for Yingluck to become PM didn't vote for Thaksin either.

I dispute it - it's hypocritical to do away with appointed senators when you have an appointed (Note NOT Elected) PM

If nobody in the electorate voted for her, how is this democratic?

She was chosen because she is her brother's sister

Hell! She wasn't even a member of PTP and even now isn't the leader

It's all a big con

I'm sure most people here would contest this, as they say even Abhisit was legally elected PM. Yingluck's party actually won the election and won with her at the head of the campaign as prospective PM. She was then voted PM by parliament and it didn't even require the assistance of the courts, military or PAD! But even if PT had voted for some complete unknown as PM after Yingluck had lead the election campaign, that would be fine as it's the vote in parliament that counts, not the issues surrounding it.

• Like 1

I dispute it - it's hypocritical to do away with appointed senators when you have an appointed (Note NOT Elected) PM

It's all a big con

She's clearly one of the most naturally talented political figures of all time, along with an ex paper hanger from Austria, moving from nowhere into the very top job in Thai politics in one bound and all off her own bat.

That's not bad for a girl who left university to work in telesales.

It's all a big con

The Thai PM is not directly elected, so disputing her mandate on that basis only shows ignorance about the electoral process. The Thai PM however is indirectly elected, elected by Mp's who in turn are elected by either the constituenty or by party list, which in both cases is done by the electorate. So yes the Thai PM is not appointed but democratically elected. Futhermore, as far as I know Yingluck was on the party list in 2011 and ran the PT campaign. Certainly the 15.7 million people that voted PT on the party list, mist have had a pretty good understanding who they were voting for.

By the way, this isn't special, as in many countries the PM isn't directly elected.

She is there for her DNA. Not her political experience and that's not democratic.

Find me another PM in the whole world in such a situation

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It's all a big con

She's clearly one of the most naturally talented political figures of all time, along with an ex paper hanger from Austria, moving from nowhere into the very top job in Thai politics in one bound and all off her own bat.

That's not bad for a girl who left university to work in telesales.

giggle.gifgiggle.gifcheesy.gif Oh please don't crack me up.