Parking options for out-of-towner appt at US Consulate .....

luwahn

There is covered parking available in the market area, just down the road from the consulate on the opposite side. I don't know the cost of long term parking, but I have never paid more than 20 baht. I use this if I cannot find free parking on the road by the river.

was there this morning and in a rush I parked in a red and white zone directly across from the consulate and was worrying the whole hour, but no probs...........not recomending it, but worked for me. lots of construction going on on the river side.

was there this morning and in a rush I parked in a red and white zone directly across from the consulate and was worrying the whole hour, but no probs...........not recomending it, but worked for me. lots of construction going on on the river side.

I take a tuk tuk hate driving in town..and no chance of getting busted.

There is covered parking available in the market area, just down the road from the consulate on the opposite side. I don't know the cost of long term parking, but I have never paid more than 20 baht. I use this if I cannot find free parking on the road by the river.

Across the street and up just a bit huge lot 30 bht every time it go in my bus

there's an scb with a car park very close by. 5 minute or less walk, across from Esso/Tesco Express,

GPS 18.794750792, 98.9971001806 150 meters from the entrance of the US Consulate,

Thanks for your postings! It looks like a couple people where indicating the same parking structure. thumbsup.gif

The GPS coordinates clinched it! clap2.gif

Now, does anyone know of a Felafel/Mid-eastern restaurant nearby?

no, but if you walk east from scb, there is an outstanding/cheap/clean duck place on the right. You're on the edge of Chinatown there.......Some great streetfood closer to the bridge. My favorite noodle shop on the planet is about 200m from SCB, going South, opposite direction of Consulate...30 thb; includes pitcher of green tea with cup of ice.

no, but if you walk east from scb, there is an outstanding/cheap/clean duck place on the right. You're on the edge of Chinatown there.......Some great street food closer to the bridge. My favorite noodle shop on the planet is about 200m from SCB, going South, opposite direction of Consulate...30 thb; includes pitcher of green tea with cup of ice.

on the corner of Chang Klan and Sridornchai (kitty corner to Panthip Plaza) is Sababa Israeli Restaurant. i go there all the time for felafel and humus. it's really good IMO.

You guys are great, thanx! I knew CM is my favorite city for a reason! thumbsup.gif

That noodle shop and green iced tea and the Sababa Israeli restaurant will be my stops after leaving the Consulate!

Unfortunately, my main current points of references in that area are the Subway shop in the Night Bazaar and the US Consulate. I have to use a street map and Google Earth w/o GPS coordinates or directions. sad.png

So, can you direct me to Panthip Plaza, the Open Market, Chinatown and that (infamous) SCB that is < 5 min walk from Esso/Tesco? Express?

no, but if you walk east from scb, there is an outstanding/cheap/clean duck place on the right. You're on the edge of Chinatown there.......Some great street food closer to the bridge. My favorite noodle shop on the planet is about 200m from SCB, going South, opposite direction of Consulate...30 thb; includes pitcher of green tea with cup of ice.

on the corner of Chang Klan and Sridornchai (kitty corner to Panthip Plaza) is Sababa Israeli Restaurant. i go there all the time for felafel and humus. it's really good IMO.

You guys are great, thanx! I knew CM is my favorite city for a reason! thumbsup.gif

That noodle shop and green iced tea and the Sababa Israeli restaurant will be my stops after leaving the Consulate!

Unfortunately, my main current points of references in that area are the Subway shop in the Night Bazaar and the US Consulate. I have to use a street map and Google Earth w/o GPS coordinates or directions. sad.png

So, can you direct me to Panthip Plaza, the Open Market, Chinatown and that (infamous) SCB that is < 5 min walk from Esso/Tesco? Express?

go down the road that runs along the river (U.S. Consulate to your right) in the direction of Kad Luang. it then is a one-way street and you will go through Kad Luang - lots of traffic - market on your right, river on left. turn right on Thannon Thapae and then a quick left on to Thannon Chang Klan. you will drive through the Night Bazaar and continue to Sridornchai (Panthip Plaza on the right corner before you cross Sridornchai). as soon as you cross Sridornchai, park the car. Sababa is the first business on the corner to your left. across the street is another Israeli Restaurant coincidentally but i have never been there.

• Like 1

go to agoda, and look for New Mitrapap Hotel in CNX....it's in between the noodle shop and tesco/esso....on Ratchawong Rd.

The 'Blue Arrow' is between the noodle shop and the Tesco/Esso?

post-28226-0-98842800-1387621374_thumb.j

go down the road that runs along the river (U.S. Consulate to your right) in the direction of Kad Luang. it then is a one-way street and you will go through Kad Luang - lots of traffic - market on your right, river on left. turn right on Thannon Thapae and then a quick left on to Thannon Chang Klan. you will drive through the Night Bazaar and continue to Sridornchai (Panthip Plaza on the right corner before you cross Sridornchai). as soon as you cross Sridornchai, park the car. Sababa is the first business on the corner to your left. across the street is another Israeli Restaurant coincidentally but i have never been there.

Thanks! I think I got it:

post-28226-0-23926000-1387621300_thumb.j

Edited by luwahn

Yes, that map is fairly accurate, the new mitrapap sits right on ratchawong, and they have a parking guy, who would probably let you park there for 20 thb. the SCB is rigt next door at the SE corner of that intersection, the Tesco Express Esso is on the NE corner, and the noodle place is across the street from new mitrapap and South on ratchawong about 100 meters, passed the newsstand and the three budha stores. A fan room at New Mitrapap is 250 ish, and is OK,not the best, but very convenient to the consulate. That Tesco doesn't sell beer, but there is a 7-11 at Worrorat Market.

Yes, that map is fairly accurate, the new mitrapap sits right on ratchawong, and they have a parking guy, who would probably let you park there for 20 thb. the SCB is right next door at the SE corner of that intersection, the Tesco Express Esso is on the NE corner, and the noodle place is across the street from new mitrapap and South on ratchawong about 100 meters, passed the newsstand and the three budha stores. A fan room at New Mitrapap is 250 ish, and is OK,not the best, but very convenient to the consulate. That Tesco doesn't sell beer, but there is a 7-11 at Worrorat Market.

Perfect!

You also touched on the last CNX site that I want to locate: Is the Worrorat Market also known as 'Chinatown'? What is the best route to the Chinatown market from the New Mitrapap hotel? I am particularly looking to buy a couple different varieties of banana tree plants.

Yes, that map is fairly accurate, the new mitrapap sits right on ratchawong, and they have a parking guy, who would probably let you park there for 20 thb. the SCB is right next door at the SE corner of that intersection, the Tesco Express Esso is on the NE corner, and the noodle place is across the street from new mitrapap and South on ratchawong about 100 meters, passed the newsstand and the three budha stores. A fan room at New Mitrapap is 250 ish, and is OK,not the best, but very convenient to the consulate. That Tesco doesn't sell beer, but there is a 7-11 at Worrorat Market.

Perfect!

You also touched on the last CNX site that I want to locate: Is the Worrorat Market also known as 'Chinatown'? What is the best route to the Chinatown market from the New Mitrapap hotel? I am particularly looking to buy a couple different varieties of banana tree plants.

spot on regarding the location on your map for Sababa Israeli Restaurant. you will be driving right through "Chinatown" on your way to Sababa. but they don't sell plants or trees there. you should go to Talaat Kamthieng plant market for that. it is located behind Tesco Lotus Kamthieng on the Super Highway. you should be able to find a variety of banana trees.

• Like 1

Perfect!

spot on regarding the location on your map for Sababa Israeli Restaurant. you will be driving right through "Chinatown" on your way to Sababa. but they don't sell plants or trees there. you should go to Talaat Kamthieng plant market for that. it is located behind Tesco Lotus Kamthieng on the Super Highway. you should be able to find a variety of banana trees.

Got it and thanks so much for that tip! wai.gif

That will complete my 'things-to-do-list' for the upcoming trip to Chiang Mai!

Could you also direct me to a convenient place to have passport photos taken?

Perfect!

Got it and thanks so much for that tip! wai.gif

That will complete my 'things-to-do-list' for the upcoming trip to Chiang Mai!

Could you also direct me to a convenient place to have passport photos taken?

i'm fairly certain that you can get passport photos taken right around the corner from the American Consulate at Star Visa Services. map at this link -----> http://www.starvisa.net/en/contact.html

• Like 1

Across the street and up just a bit huge lot 30 bht every time it go in my bus

GPS 18.794750792, 98.9971001806 150 meters from the entrance of the US Consulate,

Thanx to all, with your advice, my 'Consulate run' was smooth as silk from locating the parking to enjoying the delicacies! thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had to go to the consulate this morning and found the parking garage right away. Used street view to get my bearings with those coordinates so thanks for that. Saved me the headache I usually get going there as I haven't been there in a few years.

• Like 1