Train To Issan

I'm considering taking a train to Khon Kaen in July. I'd like to travel during the day, and according to the SRT's timetable, I have two choices, #137 which leaves at 5:50 am (ugh) and #75 which leaves at 8:20 am (much more reasonable). #137 is described as a rapid train and #75 is an express train, diesel rail car. Both have 2nd class and 3rd class seats. I would like to go by 2nd class in an air-conditioned car, but I understand that some trains have 2nd class seats without a.c. I don't think I would do well on that long of a ride without the a.c., hence my concern.

SRT's web site has a handy page that allows you to see how many seats are available on a train. It looks like there wouldn't be any problem buying a ticket a day in advance which is what I plan on doing. I'll be traveling on July 4th.

So, my questions are does anyone know if the 2nd class cars are air conditioned? And, does anyone have any experiences on these trains that they would like to share ?

Rapid is as slow as they get ...

The trains always give you some interestin scenery that you miss using any other mode of travel ... am not sure aboutwhether the trains on that route are AC or not

SRT's web site has a handy page that allows you to see how many seats are available on a train.

So, my questions are does anyone know if the 2nd class cars are air conditioned? And, does anyone have any experiences on these trains that they would like to share ?

Would you mind sharing the link for that SRT web page that shows seat availability, please?

2nd class is airconditioned and the cars have about 7 oscillating fans mounted on the roofs to circulate air.

I did a trip down south [and back to BKK] five weeks ago. The trip started off with the train arriving to our designated track at Hua Lamphong one hour late. On the return leg of the journey the train was just over five hours late to Chumphon for the journey back to BKK. Coaches are a wee bit neglected, but fine for the most part- our train down had one missing fan and one inoperable one, while the train back had two inoperable. Food served was edible.

Accessing Hua Lamphong station from the MRT underground is very convenient and I would recommend it highly if your luggage allows.

But, I think you are mistaken to assume you can book a seat the day or two before you want to leave- they can sell quite fast and trains run at or near capacity.

Thankfully, there is a very good travel agent on Sukhumvit [odd soi side] between Asoke and soi 23 that has a desk dedicated to the SRT rail lines, and Khun Oye who staffs it is very helpful. From her terminal there seems to be more sense made from the scheduled trains than per the SRT web site and you are able to book seats by coach or row. All you pay is Bt50/ticket extra for her fees, which I think is a bargain.

The company is Thai Overlander

[email protected] or [email protected]

02-258-4778, or 02-258-9246

Good Heart,

Here's the STR link that gives ticket availability.

http://www.railway.co.th/seatcheck2/mainseat_E2.html

It works for me in Internet Explorer but not in Firefox.

I checked for the next few days, and it shows that seats are available on the northeast line. I'm assuming that will still be true in July. I'm coming in to Bangkok on the night of July 2 and would prefer to buy a ticket after I arrive rather than trying to buy one from the states. I plan on staying on Sukhumvit and using the subway to get to the main train station. I'll be packing light, so hopefully I can negotiate the subway while carrying a little luggage. Thanks for the tip on the travel agent. I may e-mail her to see if she can get me a ticket before I arrive.