Google Nexus 7", 32GB, USD268. Where To Buy In Thailand?

MrGaoMungGawn

Just a quick question please:

What is the best way to buy a Nexus 7" if one is in CM?

Price should be USD268 (not much more)

Also, is there something better?

Is it available locally, or does it need to be ordered and sent from outside?

I need one this week.

Thank you.

Specs and Info from Walmart on this link, but no Walmart in CM. So what is the best option?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Google-Nexus-7-Tablet-with-32GB-Memory-Black/26617791?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=60273999983&category=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A1078084&client_guid=83ccbef1-7515-48ee-8631-5cae6b850326&config_id=2&parent_item_id=26617791&guid=c348fba7-33bb-4625-ba10-714481297062&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n#ProductDetail

Available widely here but out of your price range, 3G/32 GB variant has an MSRP of 13,500.

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/tablets/asus/nexus-7-2013-p017866/

http://www.itcityonline.com/shop/index.php?id_product=2881&controller=product

Believe the MSRP (32 GB/WiFI only) at the Play Store is $269, WalMart blue-lights it to $268, before any state sales tax, S & H, re-sipping fees and possible fees ad valorem. You might be able to land one here ~ $325 all in.

If you want it this week (since today is Friday) seems that your only option is to order online from either of the two stores listed by lomatopo

Having it sent by someone in the US won't get it to you this week but can save you some money, depending upon their State Sales tax and your luck in getting through the Thai Post Office without paying duty (since if you use a private carrier such as FEDEX, UPS, DHL, etc. you are almost guaranteed to pay Thai import duty)

Available widely here but out of your price range, 3G/32 GB variant has an MSRP of 13,500.

http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/tablets/asus/nexus-7-2013-p017866/

http://www.itcityonline.com/shop/index.php?id_product=2881&controller=product

Believe the MSRP (32 GB/WiFI only) at the Play Store is $269, WalMart blue-lights it to $268, before any state sales tax, S & H, re-sipping fees and possible fees ad valorem. You might be able to land one here ~ $325 all in.

Thanks.

Are there any ways to get a Walmart to ship to Thailand?

Most people use a rehipper, like shipito.

Thank you very much.

How safe and reliable?

Any HotTo for this?

I want to order the Nexus 7 now, but I won't pay the higher price.

Also, is it possible that the higher price in Thailand is just a reflection of the 3G functionality?

And, is it really worth it to have 3G here?

Does this allow calls?

Or, can I just carry my 3G phone with me and then use both machines together?

Thanks.

(The nexus 7 seems too big for a phone)

Edited by MrGaoMungGawn

I want to order the Nexus 7 now, but I won't pay the higher price.

No amount of questions, and answers, will overcome your primary issue I'm afraid.

There have been many, many, many, many threads on reshipping stuff from the Homeland.

Part of the increased price is due to units having 3G, but not all.

Up to you.

Yes.

Yes.

Why do you need an N7? Or better, what do you need/want?

The link the OP posted above from Walmart was for a Wifi only model, no 3G in that one.

There are 3G enabled Nexus 7 tablets, but they're always MORE expensive than their wifi only cousins. And the OP appear to be on a budget...

Shipito works fine as a re-shipping service from the U.S. But....

It's best/lowest prices are for an airmail service that typically takes a couple weeks up to a month, and usually has no Thai duty or tax.

If you use their faster courier services like DHL or FedEx, the shipping fee is going to be much more expensive (at least double their Airmail rates) and you probably will end up having to pay a Thai duty tax on the item in addition.

They have one membership plan that charges an $8.50 handling fee per package plus the postage charge for whatever re-shipping method you choose for that package among the 10 or so different choices they have available.

But, if you want to use Shipito to receive any packages or mail via the U.S. Postal Service, Shipito will require you to electronically submit two forms of government ID and a notarized U.S. Postal Service form 1583. Getting a document legally notarized in Thailand, unfortunately, can be an expensive hassle. The U.S. consulate, for example, charges $50 per document.

The OP also could explore, for price comparison purposes, shopping online for the tablet via Amazon, which does directly ship some electronics abroad under a deal where you pay Amazon upfront for the item, the shipping and an extra amount to cover the anticipated Thai/duty tax. Their international shipping usually is done by one of the private couriers and the delivery time is quick.

But, after adding together the item price, plus shipping plus Thai duty/tax deposit, it might not be less expensive than a direct Thailand purchase. That's something that only can be evaluated on an item by item basis.

One other advantage Amazon can have for a budget conscious shopper is they'll often have, especially for electronics, a variety of refurbished or open box items with regular warranties at significantly lower prices than regular retail. So those kinds of discounted purchases can help offset the potential shipping and tax/duty costs.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

TallGuyJohninBKK you can still use Shipito without the notarized USPS form, Shipito will just limit the number of packages that can be shipped via a dollar limit. See the below screen cap for their Account Verification graphic

post-10942-0-55376600-1387514716_thumb.p

I purchased a Nexus 4 phone using Shipito and ended up paying over a hundred dollars more than what Google Play advertised, I had to pay for Air Express Shipping at Google Play to California from Google's California warehouse, California 8% sales tax, Shipito's $8.50 processing fee and of course postage to Thailand(.$44.64) I used USPS and did not get charged Customs duties or VAT here in Thailand, even though I declared the correct value, but as always when dealing with Thai customs, it is hit or miss

Edited by Langsuan Man

TallGuyJohninBKK you can still use Shipito without the notarized USPS form, Shipito will just limit the number of packages that can be shipped via a dollar limit. See the below screen cap for their Account Verification graphic

LSM.. I checked the Shipito website for the details before I posted above... Also, I didn't say above the 1583 form would be required in all cases. But...

According to their website, if the account holder is going to receive any mail or packages there delivered by USPS, Shipito will require the USPS 1583 and having it notarized.

If the account holder is NOT going to receive stuff via USPS, then apparently you can avoid the 1583.

But I've never tested them on that, as to whether a new account holder could receive a first package (non USPS delivered) and still be OK without having the notarized 1583.

In my case, long ago, I didn't have a U.S. utility bill in my name with my billing address to give them...so in order to clear my account setup, I had to use the notorized 1583 instead in order to meet their 65% threshhold. Having a U.S. utility bill in your name with your billing address can be a definite problem for folks who live full-time in Thailand.

Without the notarized 1583 or a U.S. utility bill in your name and billing address, the other forms of ID would only get you at best to 40% on Shipito's qualification scale, not the 65% they require.

I did buy the 16 GB wifi ver for my wife in this store but they don't have a price on the 32 GB LTE ver as yet but you can keep checking http://www.mirakar.com/detail_product.php?IDPro=14442

regards

Scotsman

That's a good price but I suspect these may be grey-market - Asus/TH has not, as far as I am aware, localized WiFi-only variants of the N7.2 - so be sure to review the product carefully and verify who the warranty/repair/service agent is? You might find that in the warranty manual inside the box, or try to discern the country from the bar-code details on the outside of the box. A lot of these grey-market units seep into Thailand, from places where they might have fallen off the truck, or been meant for factory rework/scrap.

There are lot of Nexus 10's seeping into the local market now for 7,990 and lots of complaints on Thai social media re: quality/workmanship/no warranty so as always, buyer beware.

I did buy the 16 GB wifi ver for my wife in this store but they don't have a price on the 32 GB LTE ver as yet but you can keep checking http://www.mirakar.com/detail_product.php?IDPro=14442

regards

Scotsman

I did contact the store you mentioned, and spoke with the salesperson Tom or something. He suggested he cold send one to my location for 9500Baht, which is OK.

However, am I sure that I will be getting a new model, with no problems, and nothing from the gray market if I need to have it sent to me.

I am not familiar with this store, and maybe you are?

Thanks.

I went to the shop myself to buy my wife a nexus 4 mobile phone and I mixed up on the nexus 7 info as I bought it here http://www.thaiexcite.com/Google-Nexus-Tablets/ I did get it posted to me and it was done very well with no problems and it was a new model nexus 7. The nexus 4 mobile phone from that shop that I posted a link in MBK was also an original nexus 4 so no problem with that also but I did not trust this shop to post it to me so i traveled to buy it in person. I had a very good experience buying the tablet from this internet site with posting with EMS tracking and the communication was excellent by e-mail. sorry for the mix up.

Regards

Scotsman

FWIW, I found a good deal online in the U.S. a few weeks ago around Black Friday from NewEgg for a factory refurb 2012 Nexus 7 32 GB wifi tablet for $115 including free U.S. domestic shipping with a 90 day warranty.

Bought it as a Christmas present for my wife. Had it sent to my U.S. mail forwarding address. There, they put it into a flat rate legal sized USPS envelope and sent it onward here at no extra charge as part of my regular monthly fee, once a month mail package (which allows up to 4 lbs per envelope). The actual tablet box total weight came in at just over 1 lbs, although the dimensional weight would have been different. But that didn't matter for the U.S.P.S. flat rate mailing.

The tablet arrived today in perfect shape and just in time for Christmas. The only visible difference from a brand new model was that this one came in a plain brown box instead of the retail packaging. My wife was pretty happy with her new and unexpected toy.

Curious part, it arrived to my mail forwarder with the original outside envelope noting that the package contained a lithium ion battery. When I filled out my online customs declaration form for my mail forwarder, I noted the package contained a battery. But when they mailed the package, the flat rate envelope had no outside marking indicating anything about a battery. But it arrived here fine, and it had the correct (real) item description and price I listed on the customs declaration.

Best part, as usually is the case with my monthly flat rate envelope U.S.P.S. envelopes, the package got classed here by Thai Post and/or Thai Customs and stamped as a "small package," had the standard 7 baht delivery fee for such "small packages," and no VAT or customs duty added!!!

BTW, now that the wife is happily playing with her new 32 GB Nexus 7 tablet (2012 version), anyone have any suggestions on some specific places around BKK that are going to stock protective covers/cases for that model?

Member Scotsman posted a link above from the online source where he bought a tablet, and I see they have some cases available for the Nexus 7, but it looks like they're online only -- no physical storefront to go and put hands on the cases.

http://www.thaiexcite.com/Cases-for-Nexus-7/

I purchased a Nexus 4 phone using Shipito and ended up paying over a hundred dollars more than what Google Play advertised, I had to pay for Air Express Shipping at Google Play to California from Google's California warehouse, California 8% sales tax, Shipito's $8.50 processing fee and of course postage to Thailand(.$44.64) I used USPS and did not get charged Customs duties or VAT here in Thailand, even though I declared the correct value, but as always when dealing with Thai customs, it is hit or miss

A bit of added info on this:

1. The $8.50 Shipito processing fee you mention is only for those who aren't annual Shipito members. If you're going to do regular mailing with them, it makes sense to pay the $50 or so annual membership fee, which then cuts the per package handling fee to $2.50 per item.

2. I discovered this second issue is a change that took effect just last month in November: As of that time, the most economical shipping methods offered by Shipito -- Airmail Economy and Airmail Priority -- can no longer be used to send any ANY items that contain lithium batteries. Shipito says their Airmail provider has instituted a complete ban on sending lithium batteries thru their method.

As a result, if anyone's going to send a smartphone or tablet thru Shipito at present, you're going to be faced, as LSM probably ended up doing, with using USPS Priority as the next least costly alternative, which is usually about double the postage price of Shipito's Airmail options.

The only other alternative, as I understand it from talking with Shipito last week, is to pay an extra $8.50 special request fee (in addition to the regular postage and handling fees) to have them remove the lithium battery from the item (if that's possible -- some batteries are non-removable) and then send the battery separate from the device. The device then can go via the cheaper Airmail methods, because it no longer contains a lithium battery.

Of course in the case of the Nexus 4, 5 and 7s, I believe all of them have non-removable batteries, which leaves out that last option.

• 2 months later...

Why do you need an N7? Or better, what do you need/want?

Hi. I am sorry for hijacking the thread, but since the OP has already bought his N7... smile.png

I was also in the search of the N7, arrived to this thread, and then confronted myself with the interesting question from lomatopo biggrin.png

Why?: I don't know. I was starting to feel sick after having been searching options for 3 days, and that one was stuck into my mind.

For what?: Yep. That seems to be a better question.

My phone is a Galaxy S4 mini, and I want to buy a tablet to use some applications with a bigger screen. The applications will basically be:

- epub Book readers

- Thai learning software and dictionaries (ie Paiboon Thai/English)

I believe that 7" - 8" will be large enough to use it as a e-reader, but not too heavy to hold for a long time (as a 10" tablet)

What is your opinion about the alternatives to the N7 for a similar price? (14,000 THB max) i.e. Galaxy Note 8, Galaxy Tab 3 (8")... ?

1. The $8.50 Shipito processing fee you mention is only for those who aren't annual Shipito members. If you're going to do regular mailing with them, it makes sense to pay the $50 or so annual membership fee, which then cuts the per package handling fee to $2.50 per item.

A bit of an update on this. Shipito has just recently changed their so-called "mail out" fee, which is their processing charge per package, apart from the actual postal rate.

And surprisingly, the change is good news. The new policy is, a $1 per parcel mail out fee regardless of whether you subscribe to their annual membership or don't. That compares to the prior mailout fees per package of $8.50 for non-members and $2.50 for members.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, they still haven't lifted the restriction on not being able to send lithium ion containing items through their lowest postage rate Airmail shipping methods. But lithium ion packages are still OK through the more expensive USPS methods.

The restriction on lithium-ion batteries only applies to batteries that can be removed from an item. Lithium-ion batteries that are a permanent part of the electronic item can be shipped via USPS

source:http://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/2012/pb22350/html/updt_002.htm

Consistent with the final rule published in the Federal Reg­ister, the Postal Service announced that effective November 15, 2012, certain limited quantities of lithium metal or lithium-ion batteries that are installed in the equipment they are intended to operate can be mailed internationally, or to or from APO, FPO, or DPO locations when not restricted or pro­hibited by the destination country or APO, FPO, or DPO loca­tion. The final rule is available in its entirety at www.gpo.gov/fdsys/browse/collection.action?collectionCode=FR.

Unfortunately, AFAIK, they still haven't lifted the restriction on not being able to send lithium ion containing items through their lowest postage rate Airmail shipping methods. But lithium ion packages are still OK through the more expensive USPS methods.

LSM, I think that's what I said above...

Shipito's own Airmail service, right now, will NOT handle items with built-in lithium ion batteries. They'd have to be removed to be sent via Shipito Airmail, which is their lowest cost method and is handled by another carrier, not USPS.

On the other hand, electronics items like tablets and smartphones with lithium ion batteries CAN be sent via Shipito using USPS, whether the battery is removeable or non-removeable. The difference is, USPS with Shipito is usually about double the price of their separate Airmail service.